BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 04-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Lurker

Default Carter Bros 250 GTR, Thoughts?

Hey everyone, let me first say that since I've joined this forum I've learned more on this website about buggys than I have anywhere else on the web.
So, seeing a lot of you guys know a lot about buggys, I was wondering if anyone could make any comments about the Carter Bros 250 GTR? I found a used 2007 model here :
http://www.nlclassifieds.com/classif...ies/589330?c=1

What are your thoughts on it?

Also what brand of engine is it any what is it like?

Any and all input would be appreciated.

-OTR

2007 Carter Brothers GTR 250
Old 04-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Heavy Contributor

Carter had a suspicious fire that burned down their manufacturing and warehouse. It is impossible to find OEM struts and rear drive components. You can convert Hammerhead struts to GTR application by also changing out hubs and possibly brake calipers. Axle stubs are available for over $500 each from Gorilla Axles, but both these replacements are expensive.

The GTR uses a SYM engine that is not as common as CN250 or CFMoto, but Mc Donough Powersports has parts for the SYM.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Lurker

Thanks for your input GX, much appreciated.

I think if I can get this for around $1500, I'll probably pick it up. The guy says it needs a CV boot and power switch but that shouldn't be a big job. I'm looking for something with a decent amount of power that I can ride on woods roads/old railway lines. I've been looking at the ASW Carbide, but I can't really see paying $2600 + 13% tax + 200 shipping (I live ~700km from the dealer) for a 150cc when this is about 1000 less and has twice the power. I've heard many good things about these karts, but everyone says parts are hard to find. But parts will always be hard to find for me, I live in Newfoundland, Canada, which is an island of about 500 000 people so we don't have huge powersports dealers here. Plus I love liquid cooled engines, so much more reliable for power.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Contributor

check out motobuys.com
Old 04-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Contributor

you might check tulsa craigslist their was a 1300cc 06 model on their think it was yellow
Old 04-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Heavy Contributor

The Joyners and Roketas use the same CV boots, so they will be easy to find.

The SYM 250 is a 4-stroke, 4-valve head, ceramic lined cylinder engine. It runs very well and has good stock horse power. However if you're planning on slow trail crawling, the CFMoto 250 is best due to a dual range CVT.

Regardless of which buggy you choose, plan on upgrades to the intake, exhaust and CVT to suit your riding better.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Lurker

Thanks Lonnie but I'm not interested in buying online, I've got to see and drive them first.

GX I was planning on doing that anyway, rejet and air intake, as well as stripping the exhaust. Maybe a new clutch spring and rollers too, afterward. I'm not planning on riding it slow by any means. I'll probably set up a track at my cottage, and challenge friends to set the highest time. And of course go on the railbed and woods roads, not slowly by any means. I'll ride it hard, but I won't ride any real hard terrain. No jumps or things like that, just a lot of fast driving. Which is why I feel a 250 is better to get than the 150 in the Carbide.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Administrator

I think it was motobuys.com that had those last year brand new for $2999 delivered! Those are a great machine and one of our favorites but the whole thing about not being able to get parts should absolutely be considered. There are a lot of non-standard parts with those machines. The engine, as far as I am concerned, is one of the best ever put in a buggy and definately the best running 250 that we have ever owned. If you look in our reviews forum I did a write-up on the GTR and our you tube channel has a couple vids.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Lurker

Thanks for your input BuggyMaster, I checked out your review and videos. It seems like you were really impressed by it!

Does anyone know whether the 2007 model was live axle or independent rear suspension? I'm having trouble finding out.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Administrator

If I remember right, that was the cutover year. The "solid" configuration was breaking axle shafts so they started making them limited slip.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Lurker

So it could be either of them?
What one did you test BuggyMaster?

Old 04-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Ours was the limited slip.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Heavy Contributor

All GTR's are independent rear suspension (they did not make a solid axle version). The until 2007, the IRS was locked. They went with an OPEN differential (none of the buggies have a limited slip differential). Anyone that thinks they have limited slip will see they do not if they open up the differential.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Lurker

Thanks to you guys who replied, this forum is great!
I picked up the GTR tonight, I'm going to do a general service and cleaning before I take it out, hopefully enough snow will melt in the next few weeks.
I'll be sure to upload pics soon!
-OTR