BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 05-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Lite Contributor

Default IRS or solid

Hey in here,
Thanks for having this site. This question is for anyone that would like to chime in, I would appreciate any opinions.
Buggymaster, I noticed you tested a 700 XX Honda with IRS.. I need to fill you in on my current build before I can ask my questions so here goes.

I'm currently building from scratch, a single seat mini buggy ( I tried to model if after an SAE mini buggy) that will have roughly a 50 hp engine and a wieght of around 500 pounds. A complete quad front end and for the rear,,, well this is where the discussion comes in.
I have already been a part of a build that uses an LTZ 400 rear axle mounted to the back of a coolster250. That buggy also has the Z400 motor in it. AND ITS A BLAST OF A MACHINE. The rear end sticks to the ground like glue, it slides predictably and all axle parts are stock z400 parts.
My current dream machine in the garage as it is currently being built will have an IRS rear end using early 80's VW left side front axles with the hubs ( 4 on 4 pattern ) custom bearing carriers, type 2 axles and the inboard cvs ( hockey puck style ) mounted to a center bearing, axle, and sprocket assembly. So thats the buggy, the riding area is as follows.
eastern indiana, southern ohio. We have a LOT of hills, sometimes its muddy, other times its rock hard and dry. we use solid axle buggies now , which are modified and just slide around when we want to slide.

I hope you get where I'm at with this. I'm building my dream machine and now I'm starting to wonder if I'll hate it when its done. Because the terrain can be so rough I wanted IRS, but I still wanted to be able to slide as needed. And as for speed, we don't go over about 30 or 40 mph since we are in the woods. Haspen Acres is the place we ride if anyone in here knows of it.
So what are you thoughts on all this. I weld for a living and have just about any tool I would need at my disposal, it all simply comes down to which rear end will work better in the woods, on the hills, and just be an all around good rear end. Thanks for taking the time to read all this but this buggy is by far the best build I've ever been a part of and I really want to get it right. Thanks again, Snoopy
Old 05-10-2011, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

I'll chime in!! You've already nailed the difference- Do you want a comfortable ride with a positive bite to the ground? If so IRS. But you say you like to sling it around-That's the traits of a swingarm/solid axle. The only real middle ground is solid axle with a multi-link suspension. How about some pics.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Lite Contributor

Solid axle with a multi link suspension? Could you explain more?
And for pics I only have from the roll bars forward. Just to make sure its sized right.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Administrator

The one drawback to the mighty 700xx was in fact the IRS. There's no slinging around the corners on that beast. It bites and goes and you better be hanging on.

On our Polaris RZR-S, it is plenty of power and IRS and I could not imagine anything else with it. If you have the right power it will still slide but on a buggy, you just can't beat the IRS. It sounds to me like you will be doing plenty of woods riding. If it was nothing but flat track, I'd say straight axle but on a multi purpose buggy, I still vote IRS. Be sure to posts pics of your project and progression.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:57 AM
Heavy Contributor

Unless you are running a shaft driven rear axle, you cannot run multi link on a solid axle - There would not be an easy way to keep the chain sprockets properly lined up.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX150 View Post
Unless you are running a shaft driven rear axle, you cannot run multi link on a solid axle - There would not be an easy way to keep the chain sprockets properly lined up.
True-My "different type of buggy" multi-link comes from the Mini sprint world and doesn't do too bad achieving the best of both worlds.Currently it has 9" of travel individually and 5" straight up and down. My goal with my Frankenbuggy build was to try a combination suspension to see if I could have another approach to good bite and the fun of churning the tires sideways with some good G-forces applied and still be able to slide it some without hopping or roll-over.On a 4-wheeler you have the advantage of body placement to overcome these forces,but not so much strapped into a buggy. Since I haven't finished it yet I can just speculate!!!
I agree 100% with Buggymaster- IRS is the simpliest most effective way to go but more expensive.You still have the variables to contend with on IRS. First off a stiff shock makes the IRS slide easy but beats you up at high speed, struts makes for a great ride in the rough but soaks up a lot of those G-forces that you need to slide with.Tire size and tread pattern play a huge factor too. Sorry if this was all known information to you.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Lite Contributor

It's always good to go through the big picture and no I didn't know all of that. Advice and opinions are ALWAYS welcome on my threads! I like the sounds of your new rear metalstudman. I think a standard IRS will be what I use but now it's comin down to standard a-arms or a 5 link type set up. I think because of the rear cassette I hope to wedge on the rear a 5 link would work better. As always thanks for your thoughts. I hope to start a build thread soon but time has been short. 90 hours at work last week. Not much buggy time lately. Snoopy