BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Shock options

Hey guys, I've been parts gathering for a 2 seat buggy that I have on the drawing board and found a pretty good source/option for shocks. Most of the later model, 1990's and up, snowmobiles have nice coil-over shocks up front and the prices are not bad. I've seen them on ebay for $50.00 and up per pair and some for about $65.00 per pair with a fresh rebuild. Most of them are Fox brand shocks which are very good (ran them on my race car) and rebuildable too. I'm thinking the spring rates and valving may be pretty good on these but will know more when I try them.
Maybe this will be useful for some of you guys looking to do some mods/upgrades.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:14 AM
Power User

I just put down an average of $38 shipped a shock for 4 foxes from snowmobiles--Ebay. The fronts were already rebuilt--good choice. The rears weren't ---not so good of a choice. There was pitting on one shaft and the other was ready to start. I asked the seller about straightness and was told they were good--no pics or mention of pitting and i neglected to ask, caveat emptor! After rebuild kits-10.95 ea, shafts-38.ea , oil 5.00 ea? and bump stops 5.00 each, i'm going to be into the rears nearly $100 ea.-driving my average up to 68 each. Only concern i have with buying rebuilts is if the shafts are ok. the ones i got are good. On the plus side of the rebuild, even the ones from the 80s still have the parts out there new and one can play with the shims, oil and air levels to get them really dialed in. Fortunately, i already have a high pressure shock air pump that i can use to get the pressure back in and figured out before having a local shop hit them with nitrogen. Gas setup goes for 300 and up.

It is a good option, but you have to be very careful. Between replacement parts, and the equipment need to rebuild, you can get burned fast. I don't mind rebuilding, as i used to have to service my mtn. bike ones pretty regularly and still think i did reasonably well price wise and ended up with a long term component.

AAs an FYI, most fo the quad shocks are longer than 14-inches. the snowmobiles do run on the "short" side, usually in the 14.25 eye-to-eye range. The old gold body with remotes and a black spring ("medium" rate as per fox) are a good rate choice, (usually listed as from Arctic cat) the polaris front shocks also look to run on the even softer side.

Last edited by x-bird; 01-13-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Lite Contributor

Great info x-bird, thanks for sharing. You are right about exercising due-diligence when it comes to buying used parts online, ask questions, check feedback. Two of the clues that I use myself is if the pictures are poor or don't show key points and a "not too descriptive" description, those are red flags for me. If a seller is being straight up there will be good pics and details revealing the good and bad.