BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 05-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Lurker

Default MY MODS and ADVISE

hi guys, heres my buggy. it is a coolster 150 i bought about 3 years ago. i was very unhappy with this buggy when i first bought it. the tire blew out within 2 hours of riding it and it rode like a hay wagon. it had so much bump steer the thing was hard to drive and me being 6' i was cramped in it to say the least. fast forward to now, i cut the front of the frame off and extended it 4" and raised the roll cage another 6. the rear swingarm was extended another 8" the best part is the polaris front struts and blaster works shocks on the rear. i also changed the pedal design and how the steering rack mounts. this thing rides like a cadillac now. my other kart is a roketa GK-28 that has had some smal engine mods and am very happy with that.

i was wanting some more power from the coolster and bought a 180cc kit to install. upon tearing down the engine to have the cases bored i goofed and cracked the engine case, now i cant decide if i want to continue with the 180cc upgrade or go with a different style engine altogether. i know i want to stay four stroke and automatic, any thoughts on this one. thanks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg summer fun.jpg (94.3 KB, 92 views)
Old 05-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Contributor

Tom Syc might have the cases already machined for the 180. If not he may have a case he can machine and send to you. Let me see some pics of your fab wprk
Old 05-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Lite Contributor

Hey Big Kid welcome to the group. The frame/rollcage extension on the coolster looks awesome! I too have the GK-28 type buggy but SunL branded, I love it, and it's still all stock on the GY6, 2 years running strong. You've come to the right place for advice on your big bore project.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Administrator

That, my friend, is truly amazing. The Coolster is one of the best looking buggies around with one of the worse suspension setups ever. Post a few more pics of that strut setup. Figures I just gave aways a set of those. I would have never imagined those would fit on there so well.

Tom (Sycarms) races a Coolster. I bet he never thought of that either.

For the engine, if you have enough fabrication skills to do what you have done so far, I say go with an aftermarket engine. Ironically, a Polaris is one of your best choices because their chain driven units are right side drive which means you could leave your factory sprocket and brake setup in place.

Very nice job! More pics please.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Lurker

here are some more pics. the polaris strut fit alot better than i thought. the steering on the struts are in the front vs the rear on the coolster so just the steering rack needed flipped over. all polaris front hardware is used. rims, brakes, hubs, ect. i would like to put in a polaris engine/trans but would like to stay four stroke too so my polaris engine options would be some what limited. im not too concerned about speed (maby 40 tops) i like climbing my hills and jumps.

the rear swing arm isnt stock its extended about 8" so flipping the rear axle over would put the sprocket on the other side. the good thing is i havent mounted the rear caliper yet so that wouldnt be a problem. it does good burn outs without the rear brakes...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front strut.jpg (95.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg front suspension.jpg (94.5 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg coolster.jpg (94.0 KB, 105 views)
Old 05-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Administrator

what control arms are on there?

From that side shot, you've got tons of room to put just about anything you want on there. You could do the ol' trailboss 330 or something like that. Keeps the auto trans too.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Lurker

the lower control arms are from the coolster BUT have been modified with a polaris lower control arm. i would suggest anyone else doing this to try to use the polaris lower control arm so it has more leverage on the strut. mine works good but im guessing the polaris would ride even better, plus this would make the front wider for better stability. i also flopped the rear tires/rims left to right (valve stems are now on the inside) to gain about 5" width. the rear rims are offset as many of them probably are.

i have a spare polaris 325 lower end (4 stroke) but would need a tranny, cdi, belt guard, oil cooler, pull starter, cylinder, head and a handfull of other parts...
Old 05-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Contributor

You can do what you want with a gy6. My 180 will run 40 and smoke my hh250 by 3 buggy's in 300 ft
Old 05-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckorlando View Post
You can do what you want with a gy6. My 180 will run 40 and smoke my hh250 by 3 buggy's in 300 ft
i would do the 180cc if i could find a used case somewhere...

Last edited by BIG_KID; 05-08-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Contributor

Call Tom 662-301-1563
Old 05-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Lurker

ill try to call and go the 180cc route first. i was looking at the polaris phoenix 200. this uses almost identical engine/transmission as our gokarts but its shaft drive. im also thinking yamaha 250cc snowmobile engine and polaris transmission only the snowmobile engine is a stinky two stroke...
Old 05-09-2010, 05:27 AM
Contributor

Lifan 200cc m/c engines on ebay, no reverse, but work great,,,, sorry, can't post alink.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_KID View Post
ill try to call and go the 180cc route first. i was looking at the polaris phoenix 200. this uses almost identical engine/transmission as our gokarts but its shaft drive. im also thinking yamaha 250cc snowmobile engine and polaris transmission only the snowmobile engine is a stinky two stroke...

here is some progress on the polaris transmission mounted in the rear swingarm. next is the yamaha engine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coolster swingarm.jpg (97.8 KB, 63 views)
Old 07-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Contributor

Updates, please.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Lurker

tranny is mounted, lined up and brackets welded. just got engine wednesday. engine is cleaned, rebuilt, lined up and partially mounted. the hard part will be getting the correct length between pullies...pics soon...
Old 07-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Lurker

getting close. need to mount the brake and rear sprockets yet...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coolster swingarm.jpg (98.4 KB, 54 views)