BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 11-12-2013, 12:49 AM
Lite Contributor

Lightbulb Buggy pre-build questions (possible projects)

Ok, I sold my buggies last year because of a new job move. Didn't thing we would have a place to ride...big mistake. Now, I'm preparing for January/February (tax season) and trying to decide which way to go for the buggies.

I would like to go custom with 5 speed 250ish cc buggies w/ reverse. Need 3 of them. I was thinking about trying to find some 250 4-wheelers for cheap that still run or just need minor repairs to the engines. Am trying to decide between building frames from the ground up or buying buggy frames and fabing the engines in.

Also, for my buggy, as the ultimate experiment, I'm thinking of finding a 4x4 ranch style 4-wheeler and making the buggy 4x4.

All engines WILL be 4-stroke. I like low end torque more than a high rev band speedster.

Anywho, suggestions on frames to use, plans of frames, etc?

I'm also considering making the 4x4 a 4-seater if I find a big enough 4-wheeler for cheap.

Suggest away!!!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Supporting Vendor

There are plans online you can purchase but they will not be ones showing you how to fit atv parts. You will need some extensive fabricating skills as well as the equipment to do this job. And if you do it right it will definitely cost more than if you were to buy a new buggy when you figure your time, material, equipment. If you have the experience in fabricating some engineering experience and equipment I say go for it, but if not I think you will find it to be cheaper to just buy what you want.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Lite Contributor

Well, if you're worried about what it's gonna cost, you shouldn't be doing any of this. These buggies aren't for necessity (don't really care what excuse you use). They're for fun...whether you use them on a farm or not. A little 4x4 pickup would be far better suited for necessity. Anywho, fabrication does take time. But, you can't figure your labor into the build cost, because it didn't cost you anything.

Now, if you want to start comparing costs, you can compare what it would have cost you to buy a pre-fab buggy equivalent to what you could build yourself and determine the cost you save without having to pay someone to build it, a company to distribute it, a sales man to make commission on it, etc. Sure it will take some time to build, but you can make it completely custom to your liking. But, as you said, if you possess the ability and equipment.

I have found some very interesting plans online. I'm thinking about incorporating several different ideas and just building exactly what I want.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Supporting Vendor

If you run out of money you go make more, If you run out of time that's it, no more. Very true if this is what you really want to do then go for it. I have these projects myself but then I have another buggy to ride for I know no matter what I plan it is going to take longer then planned. If you understand what is involved, have the tools and knowledge to a degree and are willing to sacrifice the time building while everyone else is ridding that's great. Many start these projects without much thought or knowledge only to sell it unfinished to buy something ready to ride. In that case they have just wasted time and money since time is a definite necessity for making money.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:38 PM

I agree with both sides here. As a flat rate tech, time IS money, and doing something the long or wrong way, or having to do it again is not acceptable. There are so many variables in buggy frames and designs out there, and according to what you really want out of them and their intended purpose. You want a gearbox type 200-300cc quad engine, ok great, those are pretty readily available used. Do you wnat a swing arm rear end, or independent rear? What type of front end do you want? How big can you go? These all need to be answered way before making the first purchase.

If you are looking to do a few of these, I recommend starting out with a used 150-250cc buggy frame, and drop in an engine you want to use. You will find out very quickly how much time is consumed in figuring out how to solve an issue without just throwing money at it, or outsourcing it to a shop. Tomberline, Yerf Dog(spiderbox), and Hammerhead frames can be found for cheap running or not, and then start off with the swap. Make that project for the kids to play on, that way you can do minimal upgrades as they won't likely push the limits as much as you or I would. you can always go back and fix or upgrade as they break while you build your serious machine.

That being said, the main question I like to ask. What is the intended use for these? Trails, flat land, circle track, street, sand dunes, etc.? The intended purpose really needs to dictate the size and type of suspension you would need. you can have all the power in the world, but if you can't get to where you want to go, it don't mean much.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 11-12-2013, 08:16 PM
Power User

I was initially going to suggest the exact same route master, but if law man's plan is to have multiple buggies, a set of plans (or several to pick an choose various aspects from) would really be the way I'd go.

Fresh proper size tubing, plenty of available pre cut mount tabs and parts etc, No paint clean up, rust and questionable tubing, structure or welds to worry about. It also would be more time effective to be able to build 2 or 3 chassis and suspension setups at once and use the same engines. (repair parts etc.)

Likewise, being able "freely" incorporate your wants from the start vs having to figure out to make the proverbial square peg fit the round hole will save, time dollars and frustration. And sure, there's just as much of a chance to screw things up in a scratch build. plenty of build thread info on how to do that, or even on how some of the plans have flaws, some pretty major.
just my 2 cents ..
Old 09-21-2015, 12:57 PM
Lite Contributor

Wow, Boys! I forgot I started this thread!

I never did get to build a buggy. My boy was in the hospital a couple times, had pneumonia and other problems, due to the geographical environment. I got transfered to an area that's better for him. Looking at just purchasing some buggies. Probably going to get 3 if I can. Then, I'll work on building a "custom" buggy from plans. It'll be a trail buggy mostly. I've never been to the dunes in OK or CO although I wouldn't be opposed to going. Top end speed isn't as big of a deal to me as much as torque is. Anywho, I ended up starting another thread looking for suggestions for newer buggies since I've been out of it for about 3 years now. Maybe you fellas can help me out over there. Thanks!