BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 09-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Lurker

Smile Maxxam 150r Engine Swap to Polaris Trailblazer 250 engine

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum, but I have read quite a few of the different threads on the different engine swaps/builds that some of you fine folks have done!

I am a fresh noob with mechanics, and have not had much experience prior to a month ago when I purchased the used Maxxam Buggy and Trailblazer.

My trouble is going to be strapping this engine onto my buggy, (from the Trailblazer 96') I am not quite sure the process for doing that, if I'd need a jackshaft/torque converter, or if it will just a matter of building a mount to the engines specs.

The reason for the swap is, of course, for more power, since the stock Gy6 150cc Long-type just doesn't have the torque for these here Blue Ridge mountains! But also, because the Gy6 would bog and die at 3/4 throttle, and a new intake boot, carb, and filter did nothing to fix it.

So if anyone has any idea as to what I might need to consider before delving straight into this project, that would be great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (51.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (58.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (51.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.jpg (37.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg photo 5.jpg (52.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Maxxam.jpg (40.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Polaris.jpg (64.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg TrailEngine.jpg (46.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 09-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Heavy Contributor

From the pics, it looks like the Polaris has a chain drive on the correct side. Modify or custom build the swing arm so you can just hook a chain to the rear axle.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:54 PM
Lurker

I was thinking about that. What if I cut the trailblazers frame down on both ends, and just put the engine inside the cut frame of the atv and weld that down onto the top of the base of the Maxxam swing arm. Would that work?
Old 09-20-2015, 10:15 PM
Power User

As long as you brace it well enough for the weight and added power. You'll have to watch for travel clearance around the engine/frame top and will likely want stiffer springs on the rear shocks than the stockers. A 250 on a swingarm is a choice that i think still works within the parameters of the way these buggies are built.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:24 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop View Post
I was thinking about that. What if I cut the trailblazers frame down on both ends, and just put the engine inside the cut frame of the atv and weld that down onto the top of the base of the Maxxam swing arm. Would that work?
I really can't answer that just looking at the pictures. I suspect it would be a much cleaner job to modify the buggy swing arm.

Either way will take a good amount of fabricating, if you have anyone who is more experienced in fabricating, I would recommend you ask them for some help.

You might be able to use the shocks from the Polaris too, the stockers on the buggy are like pogo sticks.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:36 AM
Lurker

Here is the buggy's swing arm. I was thinking cut off the top of it, pull out the current engine, and then just take the Polaris engine in it's current mount, cut off the excess and weld it down right on top of the base of that buggy swing arm. Weld braces if needed. Would that work? I know the current mount frame is too short, the polaris engine is taller, and I may have to move the gas tank, as the travel will be pretty close with the Polaris engine in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swingarm.jpg (26.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 09-28-2015, 11:11 AM
Lurker

Here's an update on the build. I decided to go with the atv existing rear and just cut and weld to the rear or the maxxam.
It is a good 2-3 ft longer then it was before, which makes up for the 6 inches lost in axle width.
My only question is: Where would the best place to weld be? Move both up to meet, making the weight meet in the middle? Or let the front lay lower, and mount the rear up higher on the frame.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (1).jpg (97.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-28-2015, 12:26 PM
Contributor

Cool

Oh my goodness !
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2009 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2002 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 09-28-2015, 12:31 PM
Contributor

Cool

How can I delicately, politely say this ? ..................
STOP , STOP THIS RIGHT NOW !
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 09-28-2015, 12:36 PM
Lurker

Someone's already done it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdWnoSK3t_o
Is there a reason you are suggesting I stop?
Old 09-28-2015, 12:46 PM
Contributor

Cool

Well , doesn't look to practical , I don't think you could get full enjoyment , might handle kinda goofy �� . With a little more planning you could probably come up with a more feasible route to go .
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 09-28-2015, 12:59 PM
Contributor

Cool

Well , just seen your suggested video , Bust out the cut-off wheels and the MIG , and have at it . Shorten it up though , Custom builds should look as good as they perform . Just my opinion . Unless your building a hill climber ?????
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 09-28-2015, 02:03 PM
Lurker

Not sure what you mean by cut off wheels and MIG. I plan on changing the look a little bit, adding some steel pipe to add to the roll cage for the rear to match the front.
And actually yeah, I am sort of building a hill climber. I live in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains, tons of hill trails everywhere, and I'd love to have the traction and torque for these mountain trails.
Not sure how I could shorten it, simply because I've already cut the atv frame all the way to the point where the exhaust comes out the engine. I'm still unsure as to where I will attach the atv to the frame of the buggy, higher or lower.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:08 PM
Lurker

Oh, I see what you mean by cut off wheels and MIG. Haha. I've got me a angle grinder and cut off wheels, but still looking for a MIG to rent or buy. Or, hire a guy and have him come up and weld the whole thing up for me. 2 hours for $110 isn't too bad, but it hurts not to do the whole project myself.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:21 PM
Heavy Contributor

You can probably find a cheap used Lincoln 180 mig for 2 or 3 hundred bucks.

Stay away from flux core and harbor freight welders. Small Miller, Hobart, Lincoln welders are usually all over craigslist.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:10 PM
Lurker

I'm going to hire someone for this build. Just because I'd like to watch him do it, for one, and for two, I'd rather my first build actually be put together solidly. And then, as time goes on and I want another build, I'll buy me one and dive into it.
Still though, any suggestions on where I should mount the atv onto the rear of the buggy? I was thinking meet them in the middle, like it is in the picture, but I'm not sure. I want the weight to be distributed right. Suggestions?
Old 09-28-2015, 03:34 PM
Heavy Contributor

I would recommend you get a welder and do something like this.

You can learn to mig weld on scrap metal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 150 buggy.jpg (45.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 150 engine.jpg (47.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 09-28-2015, 03:36 PM
Heavy Contributor

Your engine is bigger so you would have to modify the swing arm, but the concept would be the same.

If not, just copy the design of the one in your video.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:05 PM
Power User

Ditto liduno. With the length your showing in your picture, that thing is NOT going to want to go around a corner ... unless you're in Texas ...