BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 06-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Heavy Contributor

Default Spun Gas tank Location on YD???

Got the Spun Alum. gas tank off the FL 350. Why the plug is not stainless steel, not sure. But had to take down to car wash, and give it a good cleaning. Cleaned out the inside pretty good. Before I mount it on the Yerf Dog, wondering if any options on best place to mount it. There is the layout of the rack on back of YD. Basicly the tank was free, in a since. Would have got a thinner one, if was buying, to put under the rack. However, that is not going to work. Not enough room to let the shocks do their work. So has to be on top side of rack. I dont have the top cross bars attached. Just because, they get in the way, when I do use the rack. But guess wont be using rack to haul anything at all once get gas tank there. I've seen ppl hang it from that cross bar. If there is a good reason for that, plz let me know. Otherwise will just mount it on the rack. Will weld some plates to the rack flat across. And use the mounting brackets shown in pic. Basicly weld the brackets on rack so the tank is laying on top of the rubber shims that are shown in the pic. if that is a good way to do it, then I will place the tank in the center. Does have a center nipple out of the bottom of the tank. shown. and just run fuel line straight down pretty much. Or can off set the tank to the passenger side. Find the correct fitting, on the lower left side of tank, and place the shut off valve there. Then run the line down.
If i go with the center option, dont know if will be able to use the shut off valve inside the tank. Might half to go with a in line shut off valve. ???

Any thoughts on the better way to place it. move it over to the passenger side, or go center?? (better center of gravity in center... Moved over--still gives room for the rack to be used.) I would say that 3/4 of time, a bigger person will be in drivers side. But more kids than adults. Not sure if the off set would make that much difference. Or maybe it could?

or reason that should be mounted another way?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YD rack.jpg (101.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg spun gas tank 1.jpg (96.8 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by tkeagle; 06-02-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:00 PM
Heavy Contributor

My tank was longer and thinner and only fit into the rack lengthwise. It left enough room in the rack for jackets or straps, but nothing bulky. If you could mount it sideways in your rack on the passenger side, your balance would be better and still give you rack space. How ever you mount it, keep it as low as possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo_090108_002.jpg (88.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by GX150; 06-03-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Heavy Contributor

That might be an idea. I think it might. I've been debating with my self how to mount it. Was going to just weld some brackets on the rack, then bolt it in. Then debating on drilling some holes in the rack, and bolt it on to the brackets. I see you used metal straps. That could be a nother way also. I got some rubber mat. Was going to put some sort of padding between the tank, and how it's mounted. Read some where on here, that it's a must due to the high virbration.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Heavy Contributor

I used foam pipe insulation on the rack anywhere the tank made contact. I sourced the straps locally through a Napa store.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:32 AM
Heavy Contributor

well, got it mounted. Found some old auto tank gas straps that I ordered years ago, still in its package. Some kind of lead/galvanuized materal. Work perfect. I used basic tie down straps to get the straps secured down. And tight. Had to make it so the hooks was under where I wanted to drill my holes in. Drill holes, then secured with lock washers, nut, bolts. Seemed to work great. Little less painless than thought. I've got pipe insulation under it. And used the rubber spacers that came with in where the straps are on the tank. I've got just a slight offset to it right now. Once I have the time, I'll cut off the rear brackets that no longer use, and move it all the way over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg straps.jpg (96.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg tank1.jpg (97.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg tank2.jpg (95.1 KB, 6 views)