BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Site News and Suggestions > New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Say hello here!

Old 05-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Contributor

Default Help with mods

I don't have much time off work. I recently bought an American sportsworks helix. What type of mods are available for it. Are there stronger tie rods for this model? I keep bending them. Any help would be awesome. I'm a week old into these buggies. I know nothing thanks.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Contributor

Any help at all or even a site with info I could read about these buggies would help alot.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:46 AM
Supporting Vendor

The mods will depend on the terrain you drive and what type of driving you do. Are you interested mostly in trail ridding, hill climbing , or jumps. Most people do the basic mods of, UNI filter or equivilent, open the exhaust and a rejet, as well as CVT mods, such as rollers, torqueand clutch springs. So you will need to be a bit more specific and a location helps to determine what type of ridding you will need to mod for. An example of this is. You may want to just trail ride but if you live in Kentucky your mods will be different then say Illinois dur to the different terrain. There are also many Engine mods such as big bores, heads, cams, ignition, porting and polishing of the head. As far as the tie rods go all I know of now is the replacement ones which correct me if wrong are heim joints. I'm sure since there are many on this site with helix buggies they could put you in the right dirrection. Welcome to the addiction of the buggy world and Buggymasters.

TOM
Old 05-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Contributor

Thanks man. I'm in north Carolina. The trails we have been riding on have alot of tight corners and a decent amount of hills I'm mainly looking for a little more acceleration, more efficient running. Better suspension. And if possible some more power aswell. Just over all a better machine. And you are right these little things are an addicition
Old 05-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Contributor

Also what are the better brands of after market parts and where are the best places to find them. I need some seats that are easier on the back. Being in the military, jumping out of planes, and the endless miles I've walked in full kit wreck the back. We are pretty hard on these buggies so it keeps whipping my ass
Old 05-07-2011, 07:34 AM
Supporting Vendor

The basic mods you will want to do are with the CVT and breathing of the engine. Do you know your elevation? To mod the CVT you will replace Rollers, clutch torque spring, and clutch arm springs. The engine you will want to remove the air box and replace filter with a UNI as well as a rejet on carb. The exhaust depends on weather your engine has a converter in the exhaust system. You can find this info on the engine where there will be a sticker for emissions for which if it states catylist on it then you have a catylitic converter. I have found some incorporated within the headder pipe just before the muffler and others in the muffler itself, depending on year I guess.Now these I have run into may have been for california market since the sticker on at least one made refferance to CARB specs. If yours is not a catylist system then a simple opening of the exhaust is all that is needed. If you want feel free to give me a call with some specifics and I can set you up with the right combo for the CVT and jetting. Of coarse there are also several cams available for your engine as well. The seats are a differant matter since you will have the bench seat any bucket seat will need modification to fit. The Kinroad seats are really good seats for factory seats, I would have to get you a price the last ones I ordered for a customer ran somewhere in the $80.00 range for the seat.but the shipping is what is going to cost. I am working with a company right now who sells seats for the UTV's and are of very good quality but they range from 300.00 and up. I am trying to get a better cheaper price and should know in a week or so. give me a call sometime and we can discuss your needs and get the ball rolling. 662-301-1563
TOM
Old 05-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Contributor

I appreciate it tom
Old 05-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Where you at in NC?
Old 05-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Contributor

Fayetteville. I'm stationed on bragg. You?
Old 05-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Belmont- just west of Charlotte off I-85.I've done work on your base and in Fayetteville. Where do you get to drive your buggy? I didn't realize there might be areas near the base to play.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Contributor

About a half hour south of post. We can't stop finding new trails. Which turns into the problem we have been pretty rough on these buggies. I myself cannot stop bending the tie rods
Old 05-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Contributor

Just want to put it out that I appreciate everyones help. Not many people around here were raised with enough sense to help out without wanting something from it