BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 12-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Lurker

Default Where are the buggies made?

I have been reading the various discussions concerning "best" buggies and where they are made? I was wondering if anyone here knows where the various buggies are really sourced from. For example, I have heard "buy Hammerhead" because "Made in America". I have a Metal Motorsports MT150 that has a sticker on it that proudly says "Designed in America, Made in China". The exploded parts manual is listed on the Hammerhead website and first page calls it "Hammerhead KT150" and at least one picture in the manual clearly says "Tomberlin" on an engine cover plate (I am thinking it is a Tomberlin Punisher as well). Furthermore, for the kart actually "Made in America" would that be more accurate to say "Assembled in America of Chinese Parts". So at the end of the day, are all these carts really being sourced, partswise, from one or two Chinese factories and branded with various names? Are any of the newer generation buggies actually "Made in America"?
Old 12-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Heavy Contributor

China for my Trailmaster XRX 150.
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 12-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Heavy Contributor

Just about everything and anything is made in china. Since I was a kid I remember reading labels on my toys saying made in china.... the question should be what buggy is american made? Makes it a lot easier to answer. ..... don't ask me idk. Lol.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Lite Contributor

I think none of them are made in the USA, probably not really designed here either and most likely all come from the same 1 or 2 Chinese factories.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:00 AM
Administrator

I'd say all made in China. That by itself really isn't what the problem is in giving the China stuff a bad name. The problem is the inconsistency between manufacturers there. In particular, its the quality of the metal they use. I've seen China four wheelers that last for 1 jump and the shock mount breaks right off. Same thing with the buggies. I've seen some where the metal just won't hold up to the slightest stress and then others that have held up for years. I am a fan of American Sportworks because in our experience the manufactures that they have chosen use good metal. We put all of our Helix machines through quite a bit and they were fantastic machines.

Their carbs are another great example. You'd think that all GY6 carbs were created equal but that statement couldn't be farther from the truth. Our jetting experiences were enough to prove that real quick. One carb likes a 40 main jet the next one wants a 108 with both producing the same result. Just amazing!
Old 12-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Lurker

I believe they are made in China as well and I really do not think less of the karts. However, in reading the reviews I will hear folks exclaiming the kart differences based on manufacturing location. Furthermore, It would not surprise me to learn that the kart builders in China use different part sources on the same models during the year. I have 2 karts and they are clearly different, MT150 which is Metal Motorsports / Hammerhead / Tomberlin and an ASW Zircon. Both run great except when we crash them into trees at 20-30mph and then rims get bent or ball joints break or struts break. (Thankfully the engines are in the rear.) Quick welding job or quick trip to the internet parts bin and a few dollars and we are back up and running. Also, remember this post, should you see a couple of used karts for sale in the Upstate of SC on Craigslist, just sayin'.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Power User

ditto BM's comments. Our scrap metal is feeding their manufacturing, and the processes they use to "create" new metal from scrap is where the inconsistencies come in.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Lite Contributor

Default designing my own brand for sale

IM thinking about building and selling buggies here in Texas.i have a nice shop to work out off but looking for investors for the project.so if anyone wants to help out let me know.I will go with the GY6 clone 150 engine and yes the 250cc engines also.but going to use American made steel not the mexico crap.i do have a supplier for the steel here local..