BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 01-10-2014, 10:36 AM
Lurker

Default Son's X-Mas Gift / My First Buggy Project (WHAT HAVE I DONE!?)

I titled this thread Son's X-Mas Gift / My First Buggy Project (WHAT HAVE I DONE!?) because I recently purchased the 110 Buggy below for $100 on Craigslist and I HAD NO IDEA WHAT I GOT MYSELF INTO!

Not only was this a way bigger project than I had predicted...I never expected to enjoy it so much...it might be safe to say that I have caught the "Buggy Bug"

I Learned 3 Main Things

1. I HATE...HATE SANDING

(I sanded for over 4 days for probably over 40 hours...even tried a sandblaster and spent over $40 on paint removers such as "Aircraft Remover". I guess the cold winter did not speed up they process any)

2. I NEVER HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH

(I learned how to do more on small engines and how they work conceptually than any other mower, weedeater, chainsaw, and generator I have worked on combined!! So far I have rebuilt the carb, head, and the entire wiring harness...what a rats nest that was! It did however help a lot to figure out how it all worked together...at least from a conceptual standpoint)

3. REBUILDING A BUGGY IS A GREAT THING TO DO FOR YOU AND YOUR CHILD

(Although I did not have the buggy ready for my son on Christmas Day, I did tell him we would work on it till it was finished. During the last few weeks I have taught my 9 yr old son all of the basic fundamentals of how a small engine works and he understands conceptually how they work together. I even gave him a quiz and asked him multiple tough questions and he passed with flying colors This has been a great experience and still is. I look forward to sharing the project with this active board as the progress continues

After days and days of sanding and prepping the body is finally coming together.

I will update this post with the most recent work to it.

Last edited by BigJon027; 01-10-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Lurker

Before Pictures

RUST!!!

Finally got it stripped down!! Now time to do my 1 10 hr day of sanding (or so I thought)

Last edited by BigJon027; 01-10-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Lurker

FINALLY....TIME TO PAINT!!

A picture of my little paint booth I had set up that reached about 90F Max (the shed I was working it was ~35 F)

This is what I had done by Christmas

This was a few days ago and wrapping up the body work.

Let me know what you think about it and if you know the brand (not that it matters bc it appears to me that most 110cc buggies they are pretty much all the same) let me know because I am curious.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:15 PM
Power User

Looks great, i love rust revivals--just hate getting through the dirty work of it. I think you'll feel no greater sense of satisfaction than to see the smile on his face at the start of the first ride. Awesome job!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:37 PM

what did u use for painting the frame?
Old 01-10-2014, 11:32 PM
Lurker

Thanks x-bird, I can't wait to see his face on the first ride

@jmansracerocket

I sanded it down to bare shiny metal ending with 800 grit, gave it a good cleaning, and then prepped it with Dupli-Color Grease and Wax Remover (auto store guy told me to use this one..idk if its good but he insisted I use it).

I then primed it w 2 coats and let it dry for 48 hours in my little homemade paint booth. I then gave it 2 coats of black gloss paint, let it dry for 48 hours and added 2 coats of clear coat.

Here are the paints that I used

Prep - Dupli-color Grease and Wax Remover
Primer - Rustoleum Auto Primer
Base - Rustoleum Auto Paint Black Gloss (not pictured)
Clear Coat - Rustoleum Clear Coat
Rims - Dupli-Color Wheel Paint Metalic Gray
Plastics - Rustoleum Plastic Paint Black Gloss
Underneath and Floor - Rustoleum Undercoating that I had laying around then a can shown in the pic from Harbor Freight

Idk much about paint and idk if the ones used are good brands or not...its just what was recommended to me. I wish I had a sprayer but I don't so thats the route I went. Think it will hold up for 2 or so years? One thing I definitely did was clean it good and prep it good with before adding the primer. Probably a little overkill, but after all that sanding I was going to be darn sure that the paint was going to stick at least for a little while lol
Old 01-10-2014, 11:55 PM
Lurker

Default Which Carb to Buy for 110cc Buggy? Any Idea's?

sorry posted this question under the current thread instead of starting a new one

Last edited by BigJon027; 01-10-2014 at 11:59 PM. Reason: accidentally posted under current thread instead of new one
Old 01-11-2014, 02:35 AM
Heavy Contributor

Nice job big j
Old 01-11-2014, 11:12 PM
Supporting Vendor

Nice job. The prepping is 95% and the most important. The paint is the fun part.