BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 08-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Crossfire question

This forum has been such a help rebuilding my crossfire and have been following somewhat since. I have had such luck with the crossfire over 2 years of it taking a beating in the woods of nw pa. The question I have now is I have broken at least 4 sets of sprocket bolts. The previous owner must have put smaller bolts in and I keep replacing them with the same grade 8 1/4" bolts. I ordered factory replacements this time and will see what they actually are. Has anyone made their own skid plate to protect the sprocket? The bolts are shearing off, once one goes the all go. I have noticed a few times that I hit bottom on tree roots and rocks. Sprockets and chain are fine just the bolts break.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (85.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Supporting Vendor

if you're not using the metric bolts which i believe are m8's, then you should be using 5/16" bolts not 1/4's. the 1/4's are swimming in that big hole and when you hit something the allowed slop is giving enough momentum to shear the bolts. upsize to grade 8 5/16" and you should be fine. this is what i use as long as they are tight no problems. 5/16 is just a hair smaller than the stock metrics but very close. 1/4 is just to small. i usually go long enough on the bolt to use a lock washer and double nut them to keep them tight.

"LUCIFER" JOYNER JD400,
CROSSHAMMER 250R,
YERF GX150,
CROSSFIRE MBX150,
BMS 800V-TWIN
'16 RZR 900s ,
'17 ACE 900XC,
'99KX250,
'94 KDX200,
'18 SSR SR170TX

Old 08-07-2014, 06:03 AM
Lite Contributor

Thanks jersey I kinda thought they were small but that's what was in there when I got it just kept replacing what was their. So a skid plate shouldn't be any improvement if the bolts hold. Just thought I would ask if anyone thought it would help. The crossfire takes a beating and keeps on going. Only had to weld 1 shock mount back on so far.