BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 09-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Contributor

Default Got my Yerfdog VIN, DMV here I come - Should work for any buggy

I have been trying to get some form of registration for my project build and the stars have aligned .

I started by calling the CA DMV and tried to use the engine number as a means to get my Yerf registered. However, they told me that it wouldn't fly. They stated that the only way that I "might" be able to get it registered was the have the Highway Patrol do an inspection on the buggy and if they were happy with the numbering, they would issue me a VIN.

Now of course, the engine number was not stamped on the frame anywhere. I knew that the CHP were going to need the numbers on the frame itself if I even had a chance. I also knew that the stamping would have to look professional so that it would look like it was done at the factory. So using some small pieces of angle iron and flat stock I made a little jig. The stamps were 1/4 x 1/4 square and I made the jig so that the stamps would be snug in it.

Since I wanted to strike one stamp at a time (to get a good impression), I picket up some 1/4" stock from Tractor Supply and made some spacers out of it that were shorter then the stamps themselves. This way I could get a good clear strike with the hammer. I then numbered the order of the stamps so that I would not get the position or the orientation off (see Pics.)

I then removed the driver seat and clamped my jig to the 1x1 tube behind the seat and stamped the numbers. Every number and letter came out perfect and in a perfectly straight line. Threw it on the trailer and took it to the CHP this morning. It flew through with flying colors. Also since I had a readable EPA sticker on the motor, I will be getting a Green Sticker. To make it even better, they never even looked for the engine number, so I can do an engine swap to my hearts content.

This has been my easiest time with dealing with unusual titles. I really think that the professional looking stamping made all of the difference. That and acting dumb . Now I can really start to cut things apart and get busy on my POJO build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W stamps.jpg (93.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg W spacers.jpg (95.9 KB, 48 views)

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:18 PM

Good to hear. I was thinking about doing the same thing on one of the floor tubes. Still might do it and truck it to the DMV that is right down the road.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 09-20-2013, 09:32 PM

being from South Carolina, I just wondering just what are you trying to accomplish by all this? are you trying to get it street legal?
Old 09-20-2013, 10:04 PM

In many states you have to have your off road vehicle registered to go to certain areas, such as national forests, management areas, and some atv parks. In order for you to get the registration, there has to be a way for the state to be able to track it, therefore a VIN has to be assigned to the frame.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:10 PM

I heard that but I don't think we have to do that in S.C.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:13 PM

does all the yerfdogs not have s/n ?
Old 09-21-2013, 12:34 AM
Contributor

Out here in the lefty state of CA, if you want to drive your off road vehicle on anything but private land, it must have an off road sticker. This means that the vehicle must have a VIN number as if it were a car. It is even so bad that we have emission laws for the type of sticker that you can get. If your emission standards do not meet the requirements (red sticker), you can only drive the vehicle about 7 months out of the year. Luckily, the Howitt motor in my Yerf had an EPA sticker on it so I will be able to get a green sticker and run all year long.

From what I understand, the Yerfs came with a sticker, that usually fell off, I do not know if this would pass the inspection muster or not.

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:43 AM

Its the same here in the great red state of FL, except the emissions sticker. Plus, they have to squeeze every bit of money out of you possible, whether it is for fun or not. You wanna play, you gotta pay. At least our firearm laws are more lax than most.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:45 AM
Heavy Contributor

All my frames and motors are stamped with my own ID number/letter sequence. Not that I ever have the intention of registering but as proof of ownership should they ever be stolen or sold.
I suspect you may the first person ever, that has managed to get a yerf registered!
May be a dubious honor but never the less.... you pulled it off!
Congratulations!
Old 09-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Contributor

We usually go to the SoCal desert 3 time a year. When we do, it is for a week at a time. We don't see a ranger very much and they drive white pickups. When you are on the trails, you just drive away from them and no big deal, they won't / can't try and follow you. However, what they will do is to drive up to a camp site and just look at all of the vehicles to see if they have the appropriate sticker. However, when we ride in the mountains on the fire and logging roads, they are more prevalent, and you don't even try and run from them there. So having a off road sticker is a very big deal. You also need to have a US Forest Approved spark arrestor.

So out here having a green sticker means that you can get a lot more money when you are looking to sell your ride.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:07 PM

I'm glad we don't have to go through all that bull here, at least I don't think we do. I did notice earlier today, when I was putting new brake pads on the crossfire I just bought, it has the EPA sticker on it also. It has the Howhit engine also.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:49 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
All my frames and motors are stamped with my own ID number/letter sequence. Not that I ever have the intention of registering but as proof of ownership should they ever be stolen or sold.
I suspect you may the first person ever, that has managed to get a yerf registered!
May be a dubious honor but never the less.... you pulled it off!
Congratulations!
Both my Spiderboxes were registered for ORV use with full vehicle titles using the Yerf-Dog serial numbers. One had the original MCO since I purchased it new in 2004. The second one was purchased second hand after the company went under and all I had was a bill of sale from the original owner. This was inspected by the State Patrol and issued a 3-year conditional title before I was able to convert it to a full title.

I duplicated the serial number tags on the frame. In my case, I pressed the stamps into the engine swing arm since I was able put the swing arm into a 20-ton press and get good alignment.

BTW: On my Chinese street licensed scooter, the VIN is hand etched into the frame with no signs of a machine stamped VIN. This is the way it shipped and did not have issues since it was issued a MCO and did not have to be inspected.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:44 PM

Wow, there is hope!!! good job
Old 04-05-2014, 10:12 PM
Contributor

Nice job on the gang stamp.