BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 12-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Lurker

Default New member- Looking for advice on mini buggy for my two boys.

New member here. I am looking for advice on a buggy for my two boys. My boys are 4 and 7. The 7 year old will do the driving for now. I am wanting a two seater that they can grow into. I have narrowed my search down to an American Sportworks blackwidow (sale price $999) or a Trailmaser mid XRX ($1350) . I am open to suggestions as far as other brands also. I have looked at used carts and such, but I think with how hard my boys will be on it, it makes sense to get a new one. I have seen some negative reviews on the Trailmaster but not much on the Blackwidow. Any word? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Lurker

Are my choices that bad?
Old 12-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Heavy Contributor

I have a trailmaster 150 xrx and i can't complain about it. I had a bag of nuts and bolts break open during shipping, but for the most part its been a super fun buggy.
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 12-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Lurker

What about compared to the Hammerhead Mudhead? Although it is the most expensive @ $1550.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Heavy Contributor

A lot of guys like hammerheads and the availability for parts. I have a baja 150 and I'm very satisfied.many parts available for gy6 motors.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:17 PM

welcome toolman, where are you located?
Old 12-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Power User

fwiw, 7 is a bit of a stretch for running a 150 solo or with his bro. you'll need the "safety" cdi and will probably want to set up a remote kill on it along with different seatbelts and pedal extensions.

i modded a HH mini shark (used pile that got a complete restomod) for my daughter, 7th b-day present. I have to mod it again to keep her in it size wise, she'll get a 150 when she's around 10. It really isn't worth it to buy the little carts given lousy resale value and how fast they grow out of them, but it also doesn't take much to flip most of the 150s and they're easy to come out of in stock form during such an event.

maybe think about a used 5hp backyard cart vs a buggy. just a little food for thought.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Lurker

Located just outside of Charlotte, NC.'

The buggies I am looking at are not the 150's. They are smaller. I believe that was the other posters that have the 150's. I am considering the hammerhead mudhead, american sportworks black widow, and the trailmaster mid xrx for my boys. I do agree that I think that a 150 would be to big , and to fast for them. Whatever I get, I will probably govern it down until they get use to it. From what I have found, the mudhead looks to be the best overall, but it is the most cash. I am not convince about the overall long term quality of the trailmaster MID xrx ,and getting it from gokartsusa.com seems like a nightmare waiting to happen. I am leaning towards the black widow from Am Sportworks. I found a place that has it on sale for about a grand.. Any thoughts on this?
Old 12-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Lurker

Zman,
Just outside of charlotte. I am also thinking about getting a Helix for myself. Found one used locally here. However, my first thing is to get one for my boys.

Last edited by toolman; 12-11-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
fwiw, 7 is a bit of a stretch for running a 150 solo or with his bro. you'll need the "safety" cdi and will probably want to set up a remote kill on it along with different seatbelts and pedal extensions.

i modded a HH mini shark (used pile that got a complete restomod) for my daughter, 7th b-day present. I have to mod it again to keep her in it size wise, she'll get a 150 when she's around 10. It really isn't worth it to buy the little carts given lousy resale value and how fast they grow out of them, but it also doesn't take much to flip most of the 150s and they're easy to come out of in stock form during such an event.

maybe think about a used 5hp backyard cart vs a buggy. just a little food for thought.
x-bird,
I appreciate your input on the kill switch. that is my one concern for sure. Here is a link to the black widow, www.amsportworks.com/black-widow.php , can I put a remote kill switch on this? do you think I would still be better of getting a back yard cart like this instead: charlotte.craigslist.org/sno/4234323584.html It would save me $700 . Thanks again.

Last edited by toolman; 12-11-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:42 AM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman View Post
x-bird,
I appreciate your input on the kill switch. that is my one concern for sure. Here is a link to the black widow, www.amsportworks.com/black-widow.php , can I put a remote kill switch on this? do you think I would still be better of getting a back yard cart like this instead: charlotte.craigslist.org/sno/4234323584.html It would save me $700 . Thanks again.
That's sort of what i'm suggesting for you. a 212 is about a 7-8 hp engine, which is nearly, or is as fast as a 150. If you look long enough you should find a 5.5 hp engine version that would fit your needs in the 300-400 range. use the money you save for good belts, helmets, neck brace and wrist straps. remote kill kits should be available, go kart tracks use them as do some of the buggies.

My 3203 was too big for my daughter size wise, performance wise, just about right (it's 6.5 hp engine is in her minishark now) I made a simple second set of pedals linked in and she was able to drive it no problem. (needed to be nearly a foot closer to the seat.)

up by me, but to give you an idea of what you can come across used ...
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/sno/4240100881.html
Old 12-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Lurker

Toolman I was in your shoes for the last couple of months trying to figure out what to buyt. My kids are 8 and 5 years old! I looked at Spider, Trailmaster and Hammerhead.

I ended up buying to Hammerheads (Mudhead & Torpedo) simply because I wanted a reputable brand, built in the USA, 3 year engine warranty and the ability to buy local from a local dealer.

I paid $1675 out the door for the Mudhead and $1199 for the Torpedo

Yes you can save $500 going through the internet but remember when you have issues it will cost you a lot more than $500 to get it going. Spend the extra cash up front to avoid headaches
Old 12-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougandbeth View Post
Toolman I was in your shoes for the last couple of months trying to figure out what to buyt. My kids are 8 and 5 years old! I looked at Spider, Trailmaster and Hammerhead.

I ended up buying to Hammerheads (Mudhead & Torpedo) simply because I wanted a reputable brand, built in the USA, 3 year engine warranty and the ability to buy local from a local dealer.

I paid $1675 out the door for the Mudhead and $1199 for the Torpedo

Yes you can save $500 going through the internet but remember when you have issues it will cost you a lot more than $500 to get it going. Spend the extra cash up front to avoid headaches
AMEN!

Now if only I had the money to back that up...
Heavy Duty Chain Tensioner
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!