BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 03-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Contributor

Default Blaster Shocks on 150cc Carbide

Well, thought I would throw this out to everyone since searching hasn't brought up too much info on Blaster shocks on this site.

I put a set on my 150cc carbide, and although there is a slight difference, it's not enough to get excited about. Masteryota thought that maybe a different mounting position would help.

So, anybody out there that has done this, this would be a great time to chime in. Or, anybody with shock knowledge, I could use your help... this thing is killing my back. I've added 2" of foam to the seat, which has helped, but ruts and large roots have a jack-hammer effect on my back with this suspension.
Dr. Pulley variator, 10g sliders, 1500 rpm clutch spring, 39T drive sprocket, A12 camshaft, Intake with Uni Filter, 126 main jet, 38 pilot, performance CDI, performance coil, iridium plug. Now a lean wheel spinnin' machine.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:36 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danp View Post
Well, thought I would throw this out to everyone since searching hasn't brought up too much info on Blaster shocks on this site.

I put a set on my 150cc carbide, and although there is a slight difference, it's not enough to get excited about. Masteryota thought that maybe a different mounting position would help.

So, anybody out there that has done this, this would be a great time to chime in. Or, anybody with shock knowledge, I could use your help... this thing is killing my back. I've added 2" of foam to the seat, which has helped, but ruts and large roots have a jack-hammer effect on my back with this suspension.
The spring rate for Blaster shocks is too high . If you change to a softer spring you will notice an improvement. Look on E-Bay for a used set of springs yellow and blue are a lighter rate.
Dazon 150 single Mods ...Uni-Filter, 30 mm Kiehin pumper carb, FMF power pipe, 30 mm Intake pipe, Hi Rev CDI, Orange HV coil, 10,000 rpm Tiny Tach,Works Performace Shocks 12" F Blaster 14" R . Pearl Perf Ceramic 13.5 rollers, Gates Power Belt,Kenda Claws F&R
Old 03-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1 View Post
The spring rate for Blaster shocks is too high . If you change to a softer spring you will notice an improvement. Look on E-Bay for a used set of springs yellow and blue are a lighter rate.
Hey Rich, I've been in search for the elusive color chart of springs... Do you have first hand info on the color vs spring rate? It would be grand if you did.
Dr. Pulley variator, 10g sliders, 1500 rpm clutch spring, 39T drive sprocket, A12 camshaft, Intake with Uni Filter, 126 main jet, 38 pilot, performance CDI, performance coil, iridium plug. Now a lean wheel spinnin' machine.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:47 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Hey Rich, I've been in search for the elusive color chart of springs... Do you have first hand info on the color vs spring rate? It would be grand if you did.
Its not easy to know but mostly... Soft .... Yellow ,Black, Blue, White ,Red...Hard
The colors have changed as far as rates through the years. Also single, dual , triple, setups and single and progressive windings. Only real way is to install or get set up with Works , Ohlins for big bucks.
Dazon 150 single Mods ...Uni-Filter, 30 mm Kiehin pumper carb, FMF power pipe, 30 mm Intake pipe, Hi Rev CDI, Orange HV coil, 10,000 rpm Tiny Tach,Works Performace Shocks 12" F Blaster 14" R . Pearl Perf Ceramic 13.5 rollers, Gates Power Belt,Kenda Claws F&R
Old 03-13-2014, 10:26 PM
Contributor

Front or rear shocks?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:31 PM
Contributor

I was lucky to get the front shocks right first try on the dune 150s from buy atvs on line shock #7 17.5 eye to eye. Had to make brackets and weld them to make up for the 1/2 inch shorter than stock 18 incheye to eye. As for the rear I have 14 inch eye to eye from parts fox that I cant find anymore on ebay. The rear shocks look almost like the front but smaller and it rides like a caddy but will bottom out with two riders at top speed.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:21 AM
Contributor

Johnny, not entirely sure I know what you're talking about.... what did you put on the rears?

And what's the store called "Buy ATV online"?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:23 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1 View Post
Its not easy to know but mostly... Soft .... Yellow ,Black, Blue, White ,Red...Hard
The colors have changed as far as rates through the years. Also single, dual , triple, setups and single and progressive windings. Only real way is to install or get set up with Works , Ohlins for big bucks.

The shocks I bought were painted silver. Not sure if that is legitimate info as the blasters were the same design for many years... seems the colour scheme was the only change. I had a 1998 way back when, and later on a buddy had a newer one... the ride was identical. Who know really...
Old 03-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Contributor

I got the rear shocks about 1 1/2 years ago from a place on ebay called parts fox. They are 14 inch eye to eye and ride very nice but had to put the spring on the stiffest setting.
By myself it doesn't bottom out but with two riders it can at times bottom out on large dips. I have seen them on buyatvsonline but they are 69.00 a piece. The ones I got from parts fox were 28.00 and look the same.
I will try to get the pic and web sight for you.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Contributor

This is the shock I am running on both of my dune 150s it says its a front but works awesome on both our buggy's in the rear. The shock eye bushing is I think polyurethane and it lasts. http://www.buyatvpartsonline.com/go-...n-p-10286.html
The two red shocks we got from buggy depot a few years ago the shock eye bushing lasted one day and crumbled apart. And they blew out after 3 trips to the desert.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Contributor

Thanks Johnny.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:19 PM
Contributor

This is the shocks we have on the front and it was a game changer for sure. With the stock shocks it was like ridding a jack hammer and we bent a few ball joints until I replaced the shocks and put 14mm lower ball joints in place of the 12mm joints that would bend. I had to make brackets to get back the 1/2 inch we lost to keep the front end from shoveling dirt on big dips. The stock shock was 18 inch and these are 17.5 inch eye to eye and it has 1 inch more travel.http://www.buyatvpartsonline.com/go-...n-p-10287.html
Old 03-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Contributor

Those look exactly like my stock front shocks. Lol.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:37 PM
Contributor

The other thing that helped out in ride and comfort was replace the rear tires with cst ambush 5psi flat track style tires. The stock tires required 14 psi and I ran them at 8 psi and popped a tire off the bead. The cst ambush tires are softer ridding and have way more traction, they also drift nice on gravel or hard pack dirt roads. You can see a pic in our photo album of the rear tires.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Those look exactly like my stock front shocks. Lol.
Those shocks are about 4" longer though.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Contributor

UPDATE

Well, I've been messing around some more with some brackets and positioning the shocks more linear, and more horizontal. Hard to feel any difference. The fact is, these buggies need softer springs. The blaster front shocks are definitely better than the buggy's rear shocks though.

So, for a laugh, I put the stock fronts on the rear, and the stock rears on the front. Wouldn't you know it... jackpot. The rear felt like it finally had a suspension... a bit "springy" which I think is just the quality of the shock. Who knows what type of oil is in it.

The front was stiff, but not as bad as would have thought. So, whatever spring rate the fronts are is what this buggy needs in the back.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:21 PM

Glad that worked out for you. What setting/stiffness did you put (front shocks) on the rear?
Old 03-20-2014, 08:29 PM

Also at least you know where to buy those shocks at. Lol
Old 03-20-2014, 09:26 PM
Contributor

That is cool that the swap worked. How were the front shocks before? maybe get another set of front shocks and try it out.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Contributor

Setting is set to # 2, but I think I will go a little stiffer.

Also, I've decided to grind the eyes of the blaster shocks down and installed them in the front instead of the stock rears... success! Feels great. Once I get it out in some really rough terrain, I'll report back... but it feels like it finally has a suspension.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:05 PM

Good. Look forward to the r&d.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Contributor

Finally had a chance to take the beast through the trails. The fronts on the rear and the Yamaha fronts on the front wore 100% better than stock. No bone jarring hits, and really smooth over rough terrain. Very happy with the outcome.

I will likely tighten the rear up one notch as the fuel shut-off gets a little too close to the motor when the rear is fully compressed. Other than that... worth the change out.