BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 08-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Heavy Contributor

Thumbs down I left my baby with clowns!

So as some of you know, I wasn't quite able to get my reverse working...it probably just needed to have the lever mounted further forwards, but my dad was very much against my re-driling holes in my vehicle (which I do believe he secretly thinks is his). So, it went off to the shop while I was at camp last week (Tuesday to be exact). They said a few days only... Monday rolls around and we're just fed up, it was after closing so he called this morning and this is what he got.

After explaining to me that "I know more than them about the transmission aspect," he said that they managed to BREAK MY REVERSE CABLE (however they're getting a new one for free) and have only replaced my (trapped) chain tensioner... They now apparently have no idea where to get a replacement cable and are coming to me to give them the link..... I'm now off to call them and get this sorted out... At least he's only charged me for one hour of work (patching tires and replacing tensioner...) Ugh...what a day what a day... At least I'll have my baby back by the end of the week!
Heavy Duty Chain Tensioner
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 08-05-2014, 11:29 AM

I don"t think that moving your shifter any closer or farther away is going to help you any unless it is binding the way you have it. if it had adjustments on both ends it won"t help I don"t think. That is what the adjustments are for. I may be wrong though. It may be possible though the cable is too long or short.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Heavy Contributor

The only size available that's sorta gonna work. 60" in cable length (the same size BD ships their's). 48 is too small and 70 is way too big. The issue before was the cable had to wrapped around a ton of things to get it to be ADJUSTABLE. So it probably was binding and with too much/too little tension. Either way they're doing it...
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Supporting Vendor

tell you what, load it up and drive to fla, bring it to my shop and i'll get that thing going w/in the day. i wont even charge a thing. i just want to see you drive this thing once.....you're bumming me out kid, hahahahaha
and how much do they think they are going to charge you for all this, just curious.

"LUCIFER" JOYNER JD400,
CROSSHAMMER 250R,
YERF GX150,
CROSSFIRE MBX150,
BMS 800V-TWIN
'16 RZR 900s ,
'17 ACE 900XC,
'99KX250,
'94 KDX200,
'18 SSR SR170TX

Old 08-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Heavy Contributor

xD well he said he only charged an hour even though we spent "more time than that" trying to FIGURE IT OUT! GODDAMN! I know you've worked on this engine before because on the sites picture section, they showed from a few years back a ton of GY6 karts getting worked on... ugh people.

JD, in my dreams! I'd love to. I've driven it twice, maybe three times. Once at the test drive, once at the R-Ranch in the mountains (was shut down as they are against the rules there...) and tried a trail ride in the back woods, got shut down around the short turn at the end. LOL.
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Contributor

You just never know how experienced the mechanics or service manager is. I dropped my heavily modded 150 off at Polaris, where they sell Trailmasters. The service manager sounded like he didn't know much about the gy6 and was pointing out stuff I did to the buggy. I am actually dreading the call. Hopefully one of the mechanics is intelligent and knows how to check it over to see if the problem is fuel deliver or electrical.

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 08-06-2014, 08:27 AM
Contributor

I will take you up on that offer JD. I am actually heading to Orlando Saturday.

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 08-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Supporting Vendor

bring it on, i am about 3 hrs from orlando, but my shop's more fun than disney!

http://www.gotbuggy.com/locationcontact-us.html

"LUCIFER" JOYNER JD400,
CROSSHAMMER 250R,
YERF GX150,
CROSSFIRE MBX150,
BMS 800V-TWIN
'16 RZR 900s ,
'17 ACE 900XC,
'99KX250,
'94 KDX200,
'18 SSR SR170TX

Old 08-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Contributor

Well my experience with Polaris was kind of useless. Come to find out the lead Tech was too afraid to work on the buggy because it is heavily modified. I mean WTF? All you have to do is check to see if the problem is electrical, vacuum, or in the carb. At $75 an hour u would think they had pretty good mechanics. Have to know something about these buggies seeing as how you sell them.

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 08-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Heavy Contributor

Still no word on my Yerf. I betcha they didn't even order the cable to replace it yet... ugh I really don't want to call them idiots because they're fixing something that I couldn't; but....

IDIOTS!!!!

xD
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 08-09-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1134 View Post
Well my experience with Polaris was kind of useless. Come to find out the lead Tech was too afraid to work on the buggy because it is heavily modified. I mean WTF? All you have to do is check to see if the problem is electrical, vacuum, or in the carb. At $75 an hour u would think they had pretty good mechanics. Have to know something about these buggies seeing as how you sell them.
Funny you think price gets you experienced wrench turners. My previous dealership charged well over that and should you meet some of guys in the shop, you wouldn't come back. The price is usually set by the market and the company it partnered with(Polaris, Kawasaki, etc). If you were lucky and got me or one of a handful of other guys, you can justify the labor rate, but most likely, since it was not a polaris, they probably gave it to the guy that changes oil and tires.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 08-10-2014, 08:47 AM

Default Mom and Pop!

It has been my experience that when it come to these buggy's I've had better luck with your local independent bike and quad repair shops! They seem more willing to do the research needed to do the job right! where as most of your "dealership shops" are more of a time sensitive, forced production, turn around service shop. I'm just posting my personal experience and views here, We all know there are individuals that refuse to do it any other way than right!
Old 08-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Heavy Contributor

OK. So apparently they got the cable in their shop, and someone is "coming in" tomorrow to look at it. They literally have NO IDEA what to do. I feel like if I brought it to my schools auto class they'd fix it faster. xD

If they don't fix this within the week I'm taking it back and I'm drilling those holes and remounting the lever myself.
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 08-16-2014, 06:49 PM
Heavy Contributor

They contacted us today (about 1hour after we came and informed them of our displeasure of them working on it 3hours out of the 3 weeks it was there) and said they fixed it!

Apparently, there was a small metal piece inside the gearbox (I'll give details later) that wasn't allowing the gears to change via cable, making it EXTREMELY difficult to pull the cable out. I had a feeling something was amiss when a) the cable wouldn't come out sometimes and b) it took me leaning into a pull to pull it out... SO yep, something was broken. Now it works fine and since we don't have a trailer, nor the time to rent one during their open hours (I'm at school, or my dad is at work) they are gonna deliver it...

$289 later, I learned a lesson. Always spend a little more up front, especially when it comes to high-use parts. Total cost for reverse......

100$ gearbox from Talon
30$ PROPER cable from BD
$50 attempted uses for bike cables
10$ assorted mounting solutions for the lever
$289 goddamn shop work to fix the gearbox

TOTAL: $479. More than DOUBLE what the BD kit costs on sale. All that wasted money is beginning to piss me off as it could have been spent on tires or other non-offroad things I'm interested in (perhaps a phone thats not 5 years old?). Eh...Just gotta live and learn I guess. Next time I think I'll heed by the lesson learned. At least I can change my sig from "Reverse Gearbox (W.I.P)" to "Reverse Gearbox."
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!