BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 11-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Lite Contributor

Default parts combos that suck eggs.

Well I did some lurking around this site, and a few others over the past month. From what I found, I made the decision to pick up a 1500rpm spring, and 9g rollers.... WELL IT SUCKS. I could climb a wall, but I must have lost 5-10 mph on top!!!!! What the hell!

Mods are: custom intake, custom exhaust, 132.5 jet, the spring, and the rollers. Low end is improved ten fold, but toooo much.

So what next? heavier rollers? Maybe just leave all the low end grunt, and add a tooth to the drive sproket?

Anyone?
Old 11-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Contributor

Going to a lower weight on the rollers will almost always lose you top end, but 10mph? 5mph is definitely understandable.

The CVT transmission is customizable in one direction or the other: top end, or low end. We recommend people set it up for their personal riding style and the environment in which they ride the most.

If you're mostly riding in places where you want/need top speed, get a set of 12g sliders - they'll keep your top speed, and give you a bit more low end than rollers would. If you've got a combination environment of some hills and some wide open, go 11g. 9 & 10g are for trail and climbing where you rarely have the opportunity to go wide open anyway and that low end is most beneficial.

It looks like you've got a good setup, just get a different (heavier) set of slider weights to swap in when you need them and you should be good to go!

You might also consider a no rev limit CDI - the 9g rollers really increase your RPMs and you might be hitting the rev limiter in the stock CDI - this might also be a reason for the top speed loss since the engine CAN give more but the CDI won't let it.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Administrator

what kind of buggy is it?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Lite Contributor

**** Mike, thanks. I'll give it a shot. I want to throw my oem rollers on a scale and see what they are. I think the next step is throwing the stockers back in, comparing how they run with the spring, and purchasing some appropriate sliders from what I discover.

Buggymaster, It's a HELIX!! WOOOT!
Old 11-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Administrator

One of our Helix's had 13gram sliders in it and did pretty good. Gave us a little more take off without losing much if anything on the top end. When we went to a 12, I personally felt like it didn't do us much good. In fact, we did a Track Attack with 12's and a 1500 main spring and I think we lost a little bit against the clock but that was to be expected. Had we run on a short course with hills and such, it may have been quicker. Depends on where you do the most of your riding at. For us on a flat track, the stock configuration worked the best.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Contributor

Yep - that's why I always ask customers when they call: what kind of riding they do and whether they're interested in top speed or low end. Either one is relatively easy to get.

When they say "both", that's when the checkbook has to come out!
Old 11-08-2009, 06:59 PM

id like to do somethin with my clutch but im not sure wat yet
-gutted exaust
-extended lugs
-headlights
-reflectors
-my stickers
-adjusted suspension
-ground out hubs
(to fit on the tires)

helix 150
Old 11-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Contributor

im looking for stuff that just ads complete power speed and acceleration. because now i got a new neighbor that has a 150cc mini buggy and its smaller than the doodlebug!! so i wanna beet him.
-stereo
-adjusted suspension
-lights
-soon hammerhead performance exhaust
HELIX
Old 11-08-2009, 07:24 PM

ive got a neighbor withh one too lol were goona race in the field (you can see it in my top speed run video()
-gutted exaust
-extended lugs
-headlights
-reflectors
-my stickers
-adjusted suspension
-ground out hubs
(to fit on the tires)

helix 150
Old 11-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Contributor

Overall power will always come from the air/engine/exhaust system. Upgrade those for the most total power. Free flowing air intake (like a UNI filter), upgraded carburetor, big bore kits, and performance exhausts will all get you overall power.

Tuning the CVT with sliders, springs, and clutches will fine tune for your riding environment.

Upgrading the electricals (Coil, CDI, and Iridium spark plug) will make all of the above work even better through higher RPMs and hotter spark for better combustion of your increased fuel supply.