BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 10-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Lurker

Default What to buy

So my GF and I are getting into this sport and have been doing alot of research on what buggies will suit us best. We have narrowed it down to a two selections. One Hammerhead 250 ss (for now) or a pair of the Coolster Challenger 250's. The cost of a Hammerhead is basically the same a two Coolster's. What would you suggest? Would it be smarter to buy one Hammerhead until we can afford another? Or just go with the pair of Coolster's. This may be a silly question, but just thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Administrator

That's actually a great question. Here's what you need to consider in my opinion:

What kind of riding are you mostly going to do? Open areas with top speed runs or woods style trails?

The coolster is one of my favorite machines. They have a huge problem in the area of suspension though. For trail riding, they are hard to beat. They have good clearance, tons of power, and they are very agile. Outside of this type of riding, they can be flat out dangerous. There is no rebound control for the shocks so it gets very bouncy and under speed conditions, can be flat out dangerous because of it. You have to have a good amount of experience to ride one of these all out. You are right though that you can get them for pretty reasonable prices. Some have tried to cure them out with aftermarket shocks. We never did that on ours but if I ever get another, I plan on doing that. Consider your riding style before buying one.

For the hammerhead, any of the ones that we have had were find but we have only had the 150's. The HH 250 is on my hit list of machines to own. Parts should be readily available in the event that you need them. If the GF is cool with riding along, may be a good choice. If she wants to drive, you may be in a battle for the steering wheel cause these are fun machines.

One of the main reasons I am targeting a HammerHead 250 is that it is one of the few 250's that will fit in the back of a truck which is a huge plus for me and for anyone that has one that is going to be trail riding where width is a consideration.

You can probably find one used. I think there is a good market for them up North.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Lurker

Thanks For the great advise. I have been leaning towards the HH 250 SS. I've heard nothing but great things about it's comfort and reliability. The back rack is a plus too. I guess my GF will have to wait for her's. Lately there's been a few new dealers of these machines up here and they're starting to really catch on.

Anyway, thanks again. And I'll be looking forward to your review.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Contributor

welcome, I would go for the hammerhead. both have pros and cons, the hh will be more stable and the ride is great, your back will love you for it
Old 10-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Contributor

If you plan to do a lot of trail riding or uneven ground, go for the comfort. Your body will thank you later!

If you plan to ride mostly flat ground and longer straight stretches, comfort is not *as* important since you're not being thrown around in your seat, and a nice cushion can help