BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Lurker

Default E-Brake on Yerf Dog 3203

I'm a little dissapointed with the band brake. It seems to work OK going forward, but slips a lot if the cart is rolling backward. I also think it would be nice to have a parking brake to keep the cart from rolling when parked. I was thinking that instead of swapping the existing band brake, leave it there and add a drum brake to the other side of the axle. I'd like to have a handle mounted on the top of the cage that is pulled down to engage the brake. That would allow a passenger (parent) to engage the brake. It should also have a ratchet/release mechanism like a parking brake in a car.

Any suggestions for drum brake kits and/or pull handles? Anyone done something like this before?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Power User

months ago i spotted a thread somewhere--might have been here -- where they set up a little lever on the lower left frame tube. it may have been notched or U-shaped. Next to it on the brake rod they added a nut or catch block of some type. It was pretty simple. Push in the brake pedal, flip the lever on the frame down over the nut or block and it locked the brake rod in place. if they didn't have it, a piece of threaded rod sleeved into the lever area would allow a double-nut or lock nut to be adjust to compensate for brake wear. You could also use a small round collar with a set screw and file or grind a flat area on the brake rod to tighten the set screw against

The issue with the drum brake and reverse is the direction the band pulls when the brake is applied. Forward rotation helps it lock around the drum tighter. reverse rotation makes it want to open the band wider and you have to apply more force. Think of using a pair of channel lock or pliers or an adjustable plumber's wrench. Hold them right -side and they help you. reverse them and you really have to squeeze to keep closed as you try and turn them.