BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 01-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Lurker

Default gear box adjustments 2005 roketa 250cc

I have a 2005 roketa 250cc watercooled with independent chain driven rear end.I am having issues with it jumping out of gear when driving it.On the bottom of the tranny/gearbox is a little bolt like screw that has a nut that tightens up to the bottom of the case.Is that a adjustment screw and if so how do you adjust it? Or wich way or is the only adjustment in the cable itself?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Supporting Vendor

The bolt your speaking of is what holds the shift fork. The fork shaft has a grove machined into it. The bolt rides in the groove to keep fork from moving in or out. Not sure if your buggy has the cable or rod for linkage. Basically you want to jack the rear wheels off the ground using some sort of stand. Disconnect the linkage from gearbox and find neutral on gearbox at the same time making sure shift lever is in neutral as well. If you have pivot linkage make sure it is not loose for this will through the adjustment out. Take your linkage and connect to gearbox it should just slide right in, if not adjust cable or metal linkage until it lines up perfectly. Remove linkage at gearbox, put gearbox in fwd. as well as the shifter and repeat above steps then repeat for reverse. If this cannot be accomplished and your buggy has a cable the cable is probably streched and will need replacement. Most times adjustment can be made. The cables used are pretty stout.If the cable or metal rod adjusts and you experiance the same problem then the problem most likely in the gearbox. The shift fork moves a steel cog which depending on which direction fwd or rev. the shifter is moved the cog interlocks the gear. The worst thing for these gearbox are when you shift at too high rpm or slam it fwd. to rev. as most do when stuck. The cog fingers get damaged and will not stay locked in. If you have any questions feel free to give me a call @ 662-301-1563.

Tom
Old 07-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Lurker

I have a 2007 carter 250

To tighten the chain last night, I shifted the motor backwards as recommended...but now lost forward gear. What is the quick adjustment on this? Yoke or Shift lever?

On another note - at says SAE10w30 oil

Should it be motorcycle oil?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Supporting Vendor

What chain were you adjusting on? Any kind of 10-30 will be fine.

TOM
Old 07-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Lurker

Okay, so any SAE10w30 full synthetic....not motorcycle oil

Thx
Old 07-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Supporting Vendor

What chain were you adjusting to loose forward gear?
TOM
Old 07-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Lurker

On the 250 carter, to tighten the chain you need to shift the entire engine.

By doing so, the lenght of the shift lever cable changes and won't engage the gear.

Last night I adjusted the yolk on the cable and found forward, but I think I need to add just a little more to make sure it stay engaged and not just barely in gear (risk slipping out)

Any thoughts?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Supporting Vendor

Wow I never messed with later model carters. The adjustment on earlier models didn't effect the shifting. Thanks for the info.
TOM