BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Site News and Suggestions > New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Say hello here!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Lurker

Default Yerf go Kart 4209 for $650.00

Hi,
I'm looking at a used Blue Yerf Dog 4209, 2 seater, 7.8hp. Were can I find blue book values? Is this a good price? I checked for recalls. Is this a good choice for kids 10, 13 years old. Can I slow down the engine since they're beginers. There's no reverse, but reverse kits are 150.00.

thanks,
mike
see Kart at
Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 AM

Default more info

First welcome to th forum, good to have u here! could u post some pics of the buggy ur looking at? if its in vgc thats not a bad price, but if ur thinking of adding reverse later then u got $800 into this buggy and i believe u could get one with everything already on it for that or less even! as always its just up 2 what u really want in ur buggy n be patient in getting what u want. keepem rollin bear
Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Lurker

http://www.yerf-dog.com/products/3209.html

Old 10-26-2012, 02:06 AM
Lurker

Default steps to starting Go Kart

I went to see the Go Kart today, won't start. I switched the green button up, ( I think) then I held the brake and gas down. If the green button was in the wrong position would it even turn over? I pressed the red button and the motor ran for a few seconds. I did this about ten times. Is there a seat safety switch, so when you get up it stalls? Like a riding mower.

It has been parked outside for two years, I think it may have a engine plastic cover missing, over the carb. area. I got it running with starter fluid, for a few seconds at a time, the lights ( real bright) came on to. It went a few feet and died. I checked the fuse. Do you need to pump the gas peddle to get it running, or just hold it down to the floor? I didn't check the spark plug for spark. I think the carb. must of had a little fuel when it was stored for the winter. Maybe there's a varnish build up, in the fuel needle. I didn't see a fuel miss spraying into the carb.

Thanks,
mike
Old 10-26-2012, 12:00 PM

ok mike first u shouldnt have to give it any gas to get it to start. there is no "safety switch" under the seat unless installed by the owner. if it starts for a moment then stalls the its not a fuse. these engines have a vaccum demand fuel supply when u crank the engine it draws fuel from the tank. if its been sitting out side for awhile then it probably needs a good fuel system cleaning first unless it has been started on a regular basis if not then that tells me the owner hasnt been taking care of it! and unless you really feel as if this is the one and you dont mind investing a little time and probably money too id take a pass on it especially at $650 take your time in getting what you want it will be worth it in the end!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Lurker

Default rebuilding carb.

How hard is it to remove the carb. how many bolts hold it down? How hard is it to rebuild it are there a lot of pieces?
My riding mower was very easy to rebuild. Remove two bolts holding down the carb. Remove float bowl, remove the two needles, and brush off the varnish. Add new gaskets and done.
thanks
mike
Old 10-27-2012, 09:17 AM

Default cake

carb rebuild is a piece of cake there are even some videos to help u out! did u find out if there where actually other pieces missing and what they where from the owner yet? sounds like this is a buggy ur really interested in!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Lurker

I think there is a plastic engine wiring cover missing on top of the engine. There are no Go Kart dealers for at least 200 miles around us, and not much on Craigslist.com. They all went out of business, maybe because there are no trails. You need to have your own land with trails, which we do. I don't know of any good places online that sells used Go Karts. I love to work on projects. I have two cars and riding lawn mower, I work on all the time. I won't pay more then 450.00 after the carb. is repaired, mostly because it was stored outside for two years in Virginia. For the recall can I use the stamped serial number on the block, is there a stamped number some where else? The paper tags on the engine is faded. I don't see a tag by the drivers seat. What I like is that it will never outgrown us.

I can't really can't view videos on my desktop, we have a data limit. How many bolts hold it down? What's the part on top it kind of likes like a air filer?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Lurker

Default battery cost

How much does it cost for a new battery? How much for a carb. rebuild kit?
Old 10-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Power User

new batteries for these are around $30-40, you can pretty much pick them up anywhere batteries are sold. I don't think a carb rebuild kit would be much as it's mostly just gaskets--typically you can open them up and give the jets a thorough c leaning without having to replace anything. if you start changing things like the air filter and upgrading the engine for performance, then you would need some jets to work with to get the air/fuel right. for the yerfs, BMI karts have the leftover inventory of the yerf company and a lot of the minor parts are still available--they sell a lot on e-bay. BTW, where are you located--state-wise?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:55 AM

Default Home made

I know what ur talkin about on the wiring cover, u can make this ur self if u want! I had to do the same thing to my buggys, I hear the factory covers on the wiring break all the time! I just took some old tupperware bowls and size n cut them to fit and secured them with tie straps this works pretty good and tie straps r going to become one of ur main "tools" on these buggys! lol. When it come to getting the right parts u need for ur buggy I really suggest u get with tom @ syc powersports u just cant go wrong with his knowledge of buggys and the great discount u get for being a member of this forum! I hope this helps u some, let us know how its going with the repairs!!! and as always keepem rollin! bear
Old 10-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Supporting Vendor

It sounds as if the pilot jet is plugged, a good cleaning will take care of that. If i doesn't run and looks to be in good condition offer $300.00. If it looks rough then offer $150.00. These new in 2005 cost $1410.00. Buying a non running buggy you have no idea what problems you might have. The yerfs had front end problems ie. weak balljoints, spindles and hubs. These can all be upgraded. The engine will be the Howlett which is a bullit proof engine with plenty of parts available. All one needs for these buggies are basic mechanical skills. There are plenty of good manuals for the GY6 engine.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
It sounds as if the pilot jet is plugged, a good cleaning will take care of that.
Does each jet have two small holes, that you need to run a small copper wire through it?
mike
Old 10-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Supporting Vendor

That will work as long as it is a copper wire and the orifice in carb is not plugged. It is best to soak the carb overnight in Berrymans carb dip. You can get it at Napa for around 15.00. You can try the wire first but if that does not work you will need to dip it.