BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Site News and Suggestions > New Member Introduction

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Say hello here!

Old 03-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Lurker

Default My Name Is Jackstand Johnny From Va.

Hi everybody. I'm Jackstand Johnny from Williamsburg Va. I have a late 2000's Tomberlin Crossfire 150R that Ive been tinkering with for the past couple months. When I got the thing it didn't run but a good carb cleaning, spark plug and motorcycle gel battery later it was doing alright. I haven't done much to it other than install a pair of Hella 500 driving lights, am ammo can toolbox and some more maintenance work but I plan on doing a lot more with it so long as the engine doesn't die on me.

I'm really more of a motorcycle guy myself but I was in a really bad bike accident last October and lost my leg as well as a lot of broken bones. Since I'm not gonna be on a bike any time soon I wanted something to have fun with and the Crossfire was a great option since it's an automatic with reverse. I love it so far as finicky as it is and I hope the previous owner didn't mess it up too bad since He didn't know a thing about engine work and lied to me about some things on it. anyways thanks for having me and thank in advance for the ton of questions I plan on asking. See ya in the forums.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:14 PM

Welcome! Many members have crossfires, as they are one of the more desirable buggies, I am personally hooked on the Yerf Dog breed myself.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 03-17-2013, 09:50 PM

Welcome aboard Jackstand, all questions are welcome, and most are even answered!!! lol
Old 03-18-2013, 12:53 PM

Welcome Jack stand!
Old 03-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Heavy Contributor

Welcome J.J. If you are from Williamsburg you must be a Yankee right? I kid....I kid. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I think you will get bit by the buggy fever and find them just as enjoyable as we all do. With a little digging you can find the answers to most questions already posted but feel free to ask away. Bear would be happy to answer ALL of your questions.

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hx-hEWl10c
I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:56 PM
Contributor

Welcome J.J. I have two Baja dune 150s, same as the crossfire and also was a big dirt bike fan but over the last 3 years have been into modifying our buggies. The first thing was lighter rollers stiffer contra spring and then better shocks. The stock shocks are way too stiff and up front would bend the ball joint in a short time. Have fun and be safe.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:59 AM

Hey Slestak, in the words of "Vinny Barbarino", what, where, I dunno! lol!!! Johnny, did u get those beast motors cooled down yet?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Contributor

The red buggy runs fine its the 183cc blue buggy that gets hot. I will have to change the gearing and reseal the case first from the oil leak. Big motors are great but stock motors are more reliable. Need a oil cooler if we are going to ride in hot weather.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Heavy Contributor

Bar bar bar .......bar bar barino

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Heavy Contributor

Ooo ooo ooo pick me mister caater

Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny 5 View Post
The red buggy runs fine its the 183cc blue buggy that gets hot. I will have to change the gearing and reseal the case first from the oil leak. Big motors are great but stock motors are more reliable. Need a oil cooler if we are going to ride in hot weather.
You could always get one of those little beer refrigerators and wrap it around the engine and turn it down to 32 degrees.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Power User

I'd put horshack's laugh up, but i have no idea how to spell that awful sound ...
Old 03-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Heavy Contributor

Default Try This

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.dmg&cad=rja

Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 PM

welcome jackstand how about some pics of your buggy. I have been looking for lights for my crossfire, and would like to see how yours look.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Lurker

Thanks for the warm welcome gang. Slestak to answer your question, no I'm not a yankee. Southern by the grace of god. MY Father was a Confederate civil war reenactor when I was growing up and I grew up on what used to be a small farm. My Father grew up there Himself tending to a little livestock and tearing up the corn field across the street in His 57 /Bel Air rat rod when He was a teenager haha. Then of course when you're a Southerner, anybody that lives even a half mile North of you ya call a yank I know how that goes.

I'll have to dig up a pic of my biggy with the work Ive done so far. Lemme see here...
Old 03-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Lurker

Here we go:

Old 03-22-2013, 01:19 AM
Contributor

Nice buggy I like the front tires , we put 22/7/10 on my wife's buggy. I am pulling the engine to reseal it from the gasket that blew out from to much high rpm from the 39t rear sprocket and 7600rpm constant rpm on a long ride. The motor in my wife's buggy is a 183cc 62mm piston and 3mm stroked crank. It has great torque but my buggy with the 58.5 piston has better high rpm power. Still learning how to get power from this small engine. Fun to modify because parts are user friendly and don't break the bank. I will post some videos of us at the desert soon.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:24 AM
Power User

Belated welcome Johnny ;~) you know us yanks, too damn busy to smile ))) we just don't get enough sweet tea ... looking at your hub/spindle and thinking about your concerns, about the only thing i'd really bother with putting on it would maybe be a pair of "pie-pan" style disc brake shields. you could actually get a couple thin 6-inch frying or pie pans and cut them out of those.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:09 AM
Heavy Contributor

I moved from roanoke to Lebanon VA several years back and they all called me Yankee. Also heard a lot of " You ain't from here air ye? ". I like those big wheels on the front of that buggy. Looks good.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 AM

Yea, they give it a nice even looking stance! looks like ya got some good riding area right around you too!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Lurker

Thanks guys. That pie pan idea sounds like a great...idea. There's a field across the street the neighbors made into an atv track but its overrun and there's a service road that goes to a construction site from there so there's a couple spots too hit before the tires pop or the cops show up.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny 5 View Post
The big motors are as reliable as stock if good parts were used and the build was done right. When you push the buggies the way most of us do you naturally loose some reliability but same is true with a big brand atv. Most compare their buggy builds to atv builds. The difference is many parts for these buggy engines are not quality controlled as like the atv aftermarket parts. I have 4 hard years on my 150 to 207cc build and have just done a teardown on it for no other reason then to see how all internals look. I have built many motors over the years for these buggies and they are holding up as long as the stock motors did. I won't lie and say I have never had a failure on one of my built engines cause I have, but they have been far and few. You have to realise that the stock engines are overworked since they were designed for a 150lb. scooter driving one wheel as compared to it's use in the buggy which is driving 2 wheels and weighs 400lbs. So a performance build will be worked much harder. But the GY6 is a great engine that takes so much abuse if good parts are used.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Supporting Vendor

Jackstand, welcome to the buggy world. You will find these buggies to be extreemely adicting.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Heavy Contributor

When the cops show up that gives you the chance to see what your buggy is REALLY made of.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Supporting Vendor

For Sure
Old 03-25-2013, 04:25 PM
Contributor

SYCARMS did you open the size of your crankcase vent tube because the blow by pressure is more on the 183 vs the 155. I think the gasket blew out from too much pressure and rpms with the 39t. I have a old valve cover that Im putting a bigger vent pipe in to reduce some crank case pressure. And going back to 31t rear and changing the 13/40 internal gears to 13/43 wich will be like a 33t rear sprocket by my calculations.
Just trying to get the top speed and take off more in the middle.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Supporting Vendor

I have a 63mm bore and 6mm stroker crank but haven't done anything to the vent, same as stock. The 13/43 final gears are the stock which is what I use. I tried a 270 ratio but lost all my bottom end while gainning about 5 mph on top end. Went the other way and gainned low end but lost too much top end. Most of your power will be in the head. What head are you using?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Contributor

All the motors I have all are 13/40 internal gears, the 13/43 will give it a bit more with the 31/16t sprockets.

As for the head it is not a howhit it is a no name brand Chinese motor we bought back in 2009 to replace the bent valve howhit motor. The ports are a lot smaller than the howhit head and the combustion chamber is larger. It did come with a 6 pin start clutch compared to the 3 pin I just replaced on my red buggy to fix that awful clank clank on start up. I matched the ports on the intake and opened it a bit around the back of the valve to match the howhit head and smoothed the exhaust, the results were very noticeable on the top end and mid range power. I did not go crazy on the porting just cleaned it up. I also ported the head on the red buggy right after and got good results.

What type of heads do you run?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:34 PM
Supporting Vendor

I use the large port/ valve perfotrmance heads from Taiwon, or the new style 4 valve head.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Lite Contributor

BUGGY! BUGGY!BUGGY! BUGGY!....Hey Tom will help you out along with the others...They helped this NOOB and i put togather a great runner now!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Heavy Contributor

Sounds like Kobra is BUGGIN out

Old 03-30-2013, 12:42 PM

Naw, I think he's just "flarring up" lol