BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 06-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Contributor

Default Seat belts 5 point vrs 4 point

Hey I am trying to keep my kids safer in there buggy
after a recent crash my son had. We have a very low
budget but I want them to have fun and be safe. I see
that our seat belts work fine know but I just can't trust
them really want to go with 5 points but that means
seats too! So I'm asking for the sake of argument are
4 points about as safe cause they have to be better
than the lap belts we have know. Used saftey equipment
quite frankly scares the crude out of me so I can't force
myself to go that way. I really want to say thanks for
all the help you guys have given and your opinion on
this matter.

And as for my sons arm from (carbide will roll) he has
had 4 sergeries counting the skin graphs. It's just about
healed and he's ready to ride. I just want to say this was
just a little crash with pretty crappy out come lifes to
valuable for dumb risks atleast with your kids if you see
a fualt with safety equipment replace it!!!!

Happy trails!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear that the hospital expense is going to be over soon as well as all the trips to and from. Why do you need new seats? I prefer a 5 point simply because of the between the legs restraint and the belts can't slide over enough to let you out of the belt in a worse case scenerio (upside down).I also prefer the breast buckle too. Used belts aren't in my opinion something to be afraid of- if the belts doesn't show signs of wear/weathering it's okay. The replacing of the belts due to date is for manufacturers liability and the 200mph racers piece of mind.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Heavy Contributor

4 or 5 point, anything is better than the stock belt systems. the main thing is to get the belts properly positioned in the buggy (attachment points). you'll need to have mounting tabs welded to the frame in the proper positons to get it to work.
The shoulder belts need to be mounted below shoulder height,behind the seat at shoulder blade level. These belts should pull you down into the seat rather than pull you back into the seat. the lap belt should not go around the waist but rather across the lap just below the hip bone.The fith point should not pull straight down cutting into the crotch but rather slightly angled forwards to pull the lap belt down across the hips the fith point serves several purposes, one; to keep you from sliding out from under the lap belt and keeps the lap belt from riding up when the shoulder belts are tighted.
when they are set correctly the system will hold you firmly in place. if the belts are tightened to the point where it's almost uncomfortable, they are about right. it takes a little seat time to get used to these belts but once you do you'll never ride without them. You feel so much more secure, safe and confident. You have to learn to trust the system and relax in the seat. With the old belts you were unconciencely fighting the actions of the buggy , leaning from side to side, front to back trying to counter-act the motions, bracing to fight bumps. This wears you out! bouncing around kills the back, arms and shoulders! When your strapped in right you move with the motions of the machine. This will help to maintain better control and make you a better driver.
Also wrist restaints would have prevented your son injury. It's a natural reaction to throw a arm out to try and catch yourself. In a real violent toss your arms fly everywhere. I had a friend crack a wrist from smacking the roll bar during a roll. if you should decide to try wrist restraints , get the ones that connect to the seat belt latch rather than to the steering wheel or column. you want the restaints to come loose along with the belts in case of emergency exiting.
I use the G-force 5 point with restraints from JEGS. A complete system for two seats is about $175. less than one ER visit. I've flipped mine backwards climbing a steep hill, did some 360 rolls and the worst, spun a rear wheel hub off while on a track, bare axle end dug in, po-goed me over, landing hard on the roof. hard enough to knock the face shield off my helmet. In all cases the buggy is destroyed, the belt system worked and I walk away!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Lite Contributor

I didn't read all the above posts but I can tell you, I got my 5 point harness at typical friday night short track race. Cruising the infield, or the parking lot pit area. Just show up early for the race, even if you don't go TO the race, those guys have to replace belts based on date of manufacture, not amount of use. The 5 point I got for 20 bucks looks like brand new, was only in about five races over a two year period. 125 for a new one. I would say as much as 50 on the high end and you could be in luck. Just a shot in the dark but it might help. Good luck Never know what you will find at those races.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Lurker

Ckau- What kind of buggy do you have? Found them on JEGS site. What are these arm restraints I am hearing about?

Last edited by CarbideBrokeMyArm; 10-04-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Heavy Contributor

I use a yerf 3206. The mounting bracket can be purchased through JEGS or you can fab your own. Either way they need to welded to the frame. don't drill holes through the frame ,this will cause weak points and failure.
The arm retraints are....
#471-4087ADUBK
http://www.jegs.com/p/G-FORCE/G-FORC...46942/10002/-1
Goes with the #471-6000BK 5 point belt system.
http://www.jegs.com/p/G-FORCE/G-FORC...58247/10002/-1