BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 11-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Lurker

Default Headlights for go kart

I have a Murray go kart which runs on a 6.0 hp Tecumseh power sport pull cord engine with no battery. How do I install headlights?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Administrator

I don't think that's going to fly on a Tecumseh. A lot of engines actually have a generator setup on them. In fact, even most of the generic honda clones do but not the old tecumsehs as a general rule. HOWEVER...I did have one that did have the generator circuit on it. Do you have any wires coming out anywhere?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:46 PM

My old manco didn't have a generator on it. So, I put a lawn mower style battery on it and wired a 2 way switch to 2x 55w halogens, man they were bright. Then, I just recharged the battery every few weeks with a regular car battery charger.

Mods:
Dr. Pulley Hit Clutch
FMF Slip-On Exhaust
No Rev. CDI
Uni Air Filter
130 Main jet
1500 RPM main clutch spring
11g sliders
75w Halogen Headlights

CARBIDE!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Lurker

I dont see any wires sticking out. Would they be inside the engine? I saw a similar go kart with an after market lighting system that hooked up directly to the engine. The owner said his son hooked it up and couldn't give me any info. If I cant find the wires, then I will just go with the lawn mower battery set up. Thanks for the info guys...
Old 12-01-2009, 06:33 AM

If you go with the battery idea, don't flip your buggy, otherwise battery acid will leak from it. I did that a few times.

Mods:
Dr. Pulley Hit Clutch
FMF Slip-On Exhaust
No Rev. CDI
Uni Air Filter
130 Main jet
11g sliders
75w Halogen Headlights

CARBIDE!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:46 AM
Administrator

The wires would be coming out the end of the engine that faces your back seat. Only one we had with those wires on a Tecumseh had the yellow engine cover (part that your pull start is attached to). Not likely that you have them though.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:18 PM

my battery almost broke into pieces when we flipped the helix lol
-gutted exaust
-extended lugs
-headlights
-reflectors
-my stickers
-adjusted suspension
-ground out hubs
(to fit on the tires)

helix 150
Old 12-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Contributor

oh you poor thing lol, when i had my party it ripped the wires and i found it in the middle of the lot lol, about 100' away. i hate soldering........
-stereo
-adjusted suspension
-lights
-soon hammerhead performance exhaust
HELIX
Old 12-01-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24evanwilson View Post
my battery almost broke into pieces when we flipped the helix lol
How do you almost break your battery?!!?

Mods:
Dr. Pulley Hit Clutch
FMF Slip-On Exhaust
No Rev. CDI
Uni Air Filter
130 Main jet
11g sliders
75w Halogen Headlights

CARBIDE!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:46 PM

it got banged up while rolling

wrapping up and sloshing around
-gutted exaust
-extended lugs
-headlights
-reflectors
-my stickers
-adjusted suspension
-ground out hubs
(to fit on the tires)

helix 150
Old 12-01-2009, 06:47 PM

That's not good.

Mods:
Dr. Pulley Hit Clutch
FMF Slip-On Exhaust
No Rev. CDI
Uni Air Filter
130 Main jet
11g sliders
75w Halogen Headlights

CARBIDE!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:49 PM

it was ok though lol
-gutted exaust
-extended lugs
-headlights
-reflectors
-my stickers
-adjusted suspension
-ground out hubs
(to fit on the tires)

helix 150
Old 12-01-2009, 06:51 PM

then it wouldnt hold charge....
-gutted exaust
-extended lugs
-headlights
-reflectors
-my stickers
-adjusted suspension
-ground out hubs
(to fit on the tires)

helix 150
Old 03-01-2010, 04:51 AM
Lurker

i have a little 6.5hp pull start motor with a electirc start switch can i wire ligths or a batt in to it
Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Supporting Vendor

If you have electric start you should already have a battery. You would only be able to run about 15-20 watts combined dur to a small charging system which is only for quick charge to the battery after starting. TOM
Old 07-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMaster View Post
I don't think that's going to fly on a Tecumseh. A lot of engines actually have a generator setup on them. In fact, even most of the generic honda clones do but not the old tecumsehs as a general rule. HOWEVER...I did have one that did have the generator circuit on it. Do you have any wires coming out anywhere?
Afternoon everyone, as a newer go kart owner looking to learn as much as possible and make some upgrades to a used kart I just bought, I joined the forum and found this thread. I have a smaller kart than y'alls with a clone engine, a Central Machinery 6.5hp made by Harbor Freight Tools. I do have a couple of wires unused as noted in the above quote. I'd like to run some headlights, a tail light and a stereo. I realize that not all of these will run off of the engine's generator circuit. What kind of amperage will the engine put out? Do I try to use whatever power the engine will give me and supplement with a battery or just run it all off of a battery? If I run anything off of the engine's generator, that will increase the workload of the engine right? I don't plan on doing enough with the kart to flip it but will be installing a rollbar and keeping the warnings about a flipped kart with a battery in mind. Thanks for the feedback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gokart1.jpg (81.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Supporting Vendor

I have one of those 6.5 and mine does not have a charging system. Are you sure it has a charging system. It should tell you somewhere in the booklet that come with the engine.

TOM
Old 07-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Supporting Vendor

I also want to add that some 6.5 from harbor freight did come with charging systems but they will not drive anything over a 15 watt bulb for long before burnning up. As posted previously use a mower battery and run the lights off the battery.

TOM
Old 07-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

I want to know - why or how can you listen to tunes while driving a kart/buggy? I'm constantly listening to the engine and kart/buggy for strange noises to prevent potential carnage. Isn't the purr of the engine and the sound of gears/chain turning not enough?!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:51 AM
Supporting Vendor

My feelings exactly, would rather lister to the purr of the engine or in the case of buggies roar.

TOM
Old 07-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Lurker

Talking

Thamks for the quick repsonses; I kinda figured on running things off of a battery. I'll have to check the purpose of that wire hanging out of the engine but I was able to a pdvf of the engine manual and didn't find anythg about a generator. I hear y'all on the joys of buggyin to loud engines but thot a few tunes would be cool to have, some old throwdown stereo.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Lurker

that extra wire that hangs out of the motor is a kill switch wire. you need a toggle switch wired to that and you should get that extra wire and screw it to the motor with one of the screws near the wire.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Lite Contributor

A picture of a Tecumseh Power Sports pull start I recently replaced with a Harbor Freight 212cc engine. It had a couple of lights on the roll cage, but were not wired up any more, and I didn't check them out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4570.JPG (77.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4571.JPG (80.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4572.JPG (78.5 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by cuzn246; 07-22-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
I want to know - why or how can you listen to tunes while driving a kart/buggy? I'm constantly listening to the engine and kart/buggy for strange noises to prevent potential carnage. Isn't the purr of the engine and the sound of gears/chain turning not enough?!!!!!!
While I agree with you that listening to the buggy is fun and even helpful I had a lot of fun putting in my headphones when I was trying to really tear it up (set the record for the track). Proven fact music can increase your concentration.

To each their own and I think you had to be able to not let the music distract you. For me it jumps "amps" me up and I push harder.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Lurker

I have a predator 7hp small engine from Harbor Freight. I have a few different wires sticking out of the front of the motor right behind the seat. I want to wire in a few headlights. Is there any way to do this using those existing wires or should I get a battery and charge it every so often?

Thanks in advanced.
Mike
Old 09-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Supporting Vendor

I don't believe the motor you have has any charging system on it. You would have to have a battery that will run the lights and charge it when not in use. The battery size will be determined by the wattage of the lights.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by staplesgokart View Post
I have a predator 7hp small engine from Harbor Freight. I have a few different wires sticking out of the front of the motor right behind the seat. I want to wire in a few headlights. Is there any way to do this using those existing wires or should I get a battery and charge it every so often?

Thanks in advanced.
Mike
Stat the buggy and connect a voltmeter to ground and a wire and check for dc voltage. the wires may be part of a kill circuit, an oil level sensor/shutoff or a generator type setup. no way to know until you test them.

BTW, I used to race bmx with my sony walkman hidden under my shirt and the headphones in my helmet .... Nothing like the opening lead of starship trooper to get you out of the gate quickly ... ahh the late 70s ....
Old 01-23-2013, 06:02 AM
Heavy Contributor

Hi everyone im new here , been here one time only back in november.. when you say lawnmower bbattery you mean like the 12 volt battery that comes with most mini buggys with lights?? like my baja 150 ?...Eddie.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:18 AM
Heavy Contributor

Onemore thing i have 22 watt light bulbs on my buggy, if i want brighter lights without messing around with stator, flywheel,etc. can i just get 22watt led bulbs, or is it more to it then that??... Eddie
Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 AM

Default Yep

Welcome back! #1 yes the batteries are basically the same, #2 yes you could just change to the led's with no other mod needed!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 AM
Heavy Contributor

Default thanks

Thanks for a quick reply.. and it will be much brighter??
Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Heavy Contributor

Thought this might be a good place for this question. My buggy sat outside for almost a year. I've beengoing through it and getting everything back in order. I've noticed that when idling if I turn the lights on it really drops the rpm's. I don' t remember it doing this before but it might have. Is this normal or do I need to start looking the wiring over for a slight short?? The lights don't seem dim and they don't get brighter when you rev it up. It also doesn't seem to have any drag on the power with the lights on.

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hx-hEWl10c
I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.

Last edited by SLESTAK75; 01-23-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Heavy Contributor

Leaving ur buggy out in the elements will cause corrosions on electrical components, try storing it in a shed,garrage, or cover it real good with a tarp. with that said, check all electrical connections,harnesses, for corrotion, or loose fitting,make sure its clean and tight, battery is charged up to par...Eddie
Old 01-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Supporting Vendor

First check you battery voltage, then check again with engine running and again with lights turned on. Also note the voltage at idle as well at high rpm. Post those figures and we can tell you if its normal. Could be that your overcharging.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Heavy Contributor

Had no choice on leaving it out. I had to leave the state in a hurry for a job and didn't have time to tie up loose ends. At some point my parents covered it for me. Thanks Tom for the rundown. I'll need to see if I can borrow a meter from my brother and check. I'll have a look at all the connections... For now I can just ride with the lights off. The only place I have to ride at the moment is through the neighborhood so I liked having the lights on.

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLESTAK75 View Post
Had no choice on leaving it out. I had to leave the state in a hurry for a job and didn't have time to tie up loose ends. At some point my parents covered it for me. Thanks Tom for the rundown. I'll need to see if I can borrow a meter from my brother and check. I'll have a look at all the connections... For now I can just ride with the lights off. The only place I have to ride at the moment is through the neighborhood so I liked having the lights on.
hey slestak, just so you know if you dont have a meter of your own you can purchase these things from Harbor Freight stores if you have one close to you, and if not you can order one online there. they are very cheap, and pretty well made. we have several at work. zman
Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
hey we are friends here, you can tell us why you left the state in a hurry. LOL
Old 01-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Heavy Contributor

I can't say.....................They're watching everything I do. I'm risking everything just telling you this.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman007007 View Post
hey slestak, just so you know if you dont have a meter of your own you can purchase these things from Harbor Freight stores if you have one close to you, and if not you can order one online there. they are very cheap, and pretty well made. we have several at work. zman
I have several meters myself but I am between houses and nearly all of my belongings are in a storage building 150 miles away. So I'm hesitant to buy things I know I have. My brother is a mechanic and I can get most anything I need. No problems there.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
I can't say.....................They're watching everything I do. I'm risking everything just telling you this.
Wittness protection program aey
Old 01-25-2013, 07:28 AM

Default covert!!!

Think about it guy's, he's in Roanoke, Va., has to be some kind of Gov. covert affair!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 AM
Supporting Vendor

You mean like black helicopter and all ?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Heavy Contributor

Lol guys !!!!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:42 PM

Cool ssshhh!!!

Quiet, big brother is always watching
Old 01-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Supporting Vendor

Funny how we haven't heard comment from SLESTAK75 . We might be on to something.

Last edited by SYCARMS; 01-25-2013 at 03:49 PM. Reason: damn keyboard keys
Old 01-25-2013, 04:47 PM

Way to go guys. You just blew his cover.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Heavy Contributor

Whew!! I barely got away. I only have a few minutes to comment before they find me. You guys have it all wrong. If I had to get away for whatever reason my buggy wouldnt have been ledt behind in the weather........I would have used it to get away.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Supporting Vendor

Glad that's cleared up
Old 01-26-2013, 12:04 PM

Or is it a decoy!!!? dum-de-dum!
Old 09-03-2017, 09:55 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshstep1 View Post
My old manco didn't have a generator on it. So, I put a lawn mower style battery on it and wired a 2 way switch to 2x 55w halogens, man they were bright. Then, I just recharged the battery every few weeks with a regular car battery charger.
I agree as this is the simplest option on a basic kart. I'm actually going to put a trickle charger on the side of the battery as well to plug in whenever i can so i dont need to pull out jumper cables. Will be posting pics soon