BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 01-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Lurker

Default torque converter/clutch for hf 13hp 420cc engine

i have a older racing gokart frame i am going to mount a harborfreight 13hp 420cc electric start engine 1" shaft. i am more interested in hill climbing then top speed and am using 20" tires for the rear. is there a big difference between a torque converter and a clutch. is there a torque converter that will bolt right up to the engine and if yes can you give me the model number. a clutch would be so much more easier to bolt up however i am guessing it does not perform as good as a torque converter. i would appreciate any suggestions and please give spicific model numbers if you can as i am fairly new to this. thanks.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Lite Contributor

I'm very interested in this same situation. I have an excellent 11 HP Honda engine and a very usable go cart frame/chassis. I know I'll have to slot the mounting plates to fit the engine mounting holes, but my biggest hangup is deciding on what drive system to spend the big bucks on with no experience in such matters. I'm also getting confused trying to figure out a jackshaft system if I go with the torque converter system.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 PM

I would say the Comet Torque A Verter (TAV for short) model 40 would be best for you.

It uses a 1" shaft and handles 8 - 18 HP.

Sorry, I don't know enough about "clutches" to explain any differences. just thought I'd give you a place to start "googling"
Old 01-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Power User

i think tav would be better as well. racing kart clutches get much less direct hit/launch on engines cammed/setup for top end hp. I don't think they'd survive throwing repeated bottom end pulls up hills etc. as well as a 40 series tav system. a 30 series is a smaller diameter for the shaft and rated around the 10 hp level max.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:17 AM
Lurker

thanks very much, i am leaning towards the series 40 or 44 magnum. i think the torque converter will run more smoother at a wider range then a clutch.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:49 AM
Lurker

Default here is a video reply to your question

Dave,

Here is a video of my son messing around on the go kart (see other post about specs) This was before the go kart had the spacing between the jack shaft and engine fixed so it had less power than it does now. With that said, you can still see it spinning out as it goes up hill. The only reason the kart didn't make it up the first time is because my son let off the gas :-)

If you go with the 40 series torque converter, you will not be disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B18ybsN8Sf0
Old 04-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Lurker

Just wandering how your set up is holding up. I am using a Predator 420 with a 40 series tc.