BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 05-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Questions about variator sliders

My questions are as follows, what do all of the different numbers mean? Example, 18x14x11g. My guess is 18 is the length or height depending on how your looking at it. 14 is the width and the 11g is 11 grams. The 18 and 14 i'm assuming are millimeters. But they make them in all different sizes, example 17x12x14g or 18x14x8g. I've been reading and I understand about how to choose the correct weight, but what about the other dimensions? Are they buggy specific? Or do you have to measure your old ones to know what you need? Thanks for your help!
Old 05-02-2013, 10:28 PM

Most are engine specific. GY6 uses the 18X14 size and the other sizes you've seen would fit Yamaha or other makes of scooter engines. Yes, the gram weight is the adjustable part. (heavier is slower at take off with more top speed, and lighter = more take off speed with loss of top speed)

However, there is a larger size that is also used in certain application variators for the GY6. Like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCOOTER-150C...63609f&vxp=mtr

It uses a 20 X 17 roller and is used on the Gy6 engine.

So long story short, if your variator is stock or uses most of the common aftermarket variators it's 18X14. But if it's and aftermarket variator, it MAY have different sized rollers and you would HAVE to use that size in order to work correctly.
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 05-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Lite Contributor

Gotcha, mine, I mean the daughters, is all stock at the moment. Where we ride has lots of hills so I am thinking about making some changes. Thanks for the reply!