BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 02-14-2014, 06:25 AM
Contributor

Default bogging down at less than half throttle

Been playing with the reaction 250 since I got the muffler welded on. It seems to run pretty good at wot, but when I let off the gas and give it less than half throttle it seems to bog down. Not sure if this is due to a rich pilot jet? I believe I put a 38 pilot in when I added the ported polished shaved head, uni, and exhaust. Any ideas? Also I was having issues trying to adjust my valve lashings but I thought I had gotten them set pretty good. I tried adjusting the pilot screw in and out to fix the problem, but no luck. it only seems to be at less than half throttle.

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 05-10-2014, 10:00 AM
Lurker

what does the plug look like? Black, brown or white?
Old 05-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Power User

by half throttle, it should be running on the main jet. maybe try adjusting the needle lower to reduce the amount of fuel at that position. if the plug is showing rich, maybe too big of a main.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:15 AM
Administrator

You nearly never need to change a pilot jet from its stock value. Change it back and see how it runs.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:03 AM
Contributor

Sorry guys. This issue has been fixed and buggy sold since that time. Thanks for the input though.

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 05-15-2014, 03:11 PM
Power User

Well ... what was it anyway? Always good to report in case someone else runs into the same issue.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:01 AM
Contributor

If I remember correctly it was the valve lashings and the old carb. Once I reinstalled the head I had a heck of a time adjusting the valves. Once the valve cover was tightened down the adjusters couldn't be moved. I had to loosen the valve cover and adjust the valves while it was running. I also replaced the carb and all issues went away and it ran like a wild banshee.

Hopefully I won't have any issues with this newly modded Hammerhead 250 GTS I just got from Tom today.

Hammerhead 250GTS