BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 09-06-2016, 10:05 AM
Lite Contributor

Default rolled the buggy

My son and I took the buggy to a hay field across the street from our house for a ride. well I got a little silly and started doing donuts with it we hit a hole and rolled the buggy over. I was terrified i hurt my 5 year old son. luckily he was just shaken up. He had on his atv helmet and goggles as well as the 4 point harness. I even wore my belt and helmet which I never do. Lucky for me I did. the buggy rolled all the wy over and came to rest on passenger side.got the boy out and checked him over and he was ok. I sprained my thumb pretty good from me trying to stop the roll got some scrapes but other than my pride im all here as well. The buggy is ok as well the light bar on top of the cage was not even hurt. only damage was batter fell out of its tray as I did not have a hold down on it and broke the ground wire. I added a new end and it fired up and I drove her home and parked it immediately. Mom is not gonna let us play with it for a little while. Moral of the story is wear your protective gear guys. The buggy cage is a good thing, and be careful with how hard ya push emm.

Len
Old 09-06-2016, 10:46 AM

Glad to hear you and little man are ok. I've been there before with the spiderbox. What I learned after first time is keep ur hands inside the cage! People have gotten seriously hurt trying to stick there hands and arms out. Let the cage do the work that's why it's there. I've seen some people use straps that go around there wrists and the steering wheel in case if they do flip they don't stick there arms out.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:29 AM
Lite Contributor

Glad y'all are okay!
Old 09-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Contributor

Cool

Glad to hear things turned out OK . Call me what you will , Worry Wart , Scaredy Cat , etc. Seen lots of unfortunate situations in 40 years of Riding . We always ride in groups , and I carry a fire extinguisher , razor Knives' , first aid kit , and make sure everybody knows where they are and how to use . Fire Extinguisher : well what if the unthinkable ignites' while your hanging there - upside-down . Sharp Blade : A lot of belts are hard to release with weight hanging in them , cut them or yourself out . First Aid Kit : Self explanatory , BUT - has an added benefit . Every so often we'll run across someone that's wrecked ( usually a guy on a Bike , broken arm / leg , etc. and when you pull out that first aid kit I think it helps the victim avoid going into shock a bit , while waiting for help .
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2009 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2002 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 09-06-2016, 02:27 PM
Supporting Vendor

I have 5 points in all my buggies and extinguishers. Everyone thinks I paranoid for having extinguishers. I always keep a big first aid kit in my vehicles but it wouldn't hurt for me to keep small ones in the buggies.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:15 AM
Contributor

Len, glad to hear nothing major happened.
OldKid and Sycarms good advice, plan for the un-expected and having those emergency stuff can truly make a difference.

We rolled out kart last year, like you full helmets and 5-point harness also on.
I say this every time we go in the kart to whomever is riding it "if the kart rolls just keep your hands in the kart", as mine rolled over (it seemed to happen in slooowww notion, why is that?), I could hear my speech to my boy in my brain and did that, probably saved me from getting a broken arm.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:23 AM
Heavy Contributor

Yep, keep hands inside the cage!!!!!!
Dislocated my shoulder. I just tipped it over on driver's side. You cant stop it, when it's going to go, it's going to go.
Since then, I make the kids repeat the most important rule. Hands stay inside the cage.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:09 AM
Lite Contributor

thanks guys my hand is on the mend the boy is ready to jump back in the buggy already so all is well with him as well.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Supporting Vendor

That is another thing I forgot to mention in my last post. Arm restraints. A few years back at St. Joes State Park as my son was filming our ride, at one point you had to steer around a large boulder. We were traveling maybe 15mph as I went around the boulder you had to go up a slight slope on the right. Don't know which but I hit with the right tire a stump or large rock which caused the buggy to bump steer. As the wheel spun violently to the left I thought it had broken my thumb. Another lesson learned, never wrap the thumbs around the wheel. Anyway we went over on our side. As a result of the bump steer my arm was forced out the left side. Lucky for me I pulled it back in shortly before contact for it surely would have been broken. I now use arm restraints. For those who never flipped here is a short link to YouTube showing the rollover. https://youtu.be/WgE42YkFRLg
Old 09-13-2016, 08:49 PM
Lite Contributor

Laid mine over on the driver side a few weeks ago. Same thing here it happened in slow motion. Watched my hand fly off the wheel, land on the ground and roll bar rolled right over it. Hurt like hell I might add. Cut it up swelled up real nice too. Lucky for me it wasn't broken. Weird thing was I was sitting still and goosed it but was on a very small incline. Damn mole tunnel caved in and back wheel went in enough to dump me over. Had a tight grip on the wheel just couldn't hold on. Unbuckled and climbed out picked it back up on all four wheels. Like any man I looked around to make sure my neighbors didn't see...lol Moral of the story is be careful my friends! Sycarms I think a link to those restraints maybe in order.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:08 PM
Administrator

A while back I had just got done lecturing my son and friends and nephews about getting crazy......5 mins later I went out and did a bunch of donuts and rolled it.....

They were laughing so hard they about peed their pants.

@Tom - My wife has a nice pretty plate in her wrist compliments of bump steer and her buggy and the surgery that followed when her arm went to the inside of the steering wheel. It sucked.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:54 AM
Heavy Contributor

Ya Dad, you just showed them what not to do. And when it did go bad, showed them how you control the roll with your mind.
My kids wouldn't let me forget it.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:06 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMaster View Post

@Tom - My wife has a nice pretty plate in her wrist compliments of bump steer and her buggy and the surgery that followed when her arm went to the inside of the steering wheel. It sucked.
Thumbs should never wrap around the wheel I learned. They should always rest on front side of wheel. It was explained to me that when you wrap your thumbs around the wheel you are locking the hand to the wheel and in the event of a violent bump steer your going to break bones either from the spoke or arm being thrown out side of vehicle. I was lucky that time, I now added arm restraints. First 2 rides I was the only one with them. The last time I rode 2 other people has arm restraints. I don't like to break bones. Especially mine.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:40 PM
Power User

I'm sporting two still very sore thumbs that i likely hairline fractured in the july race. I've long preached about no hooking em, but when i shift gears and one hand it in the rocks, i unconsciously wrap the one on the wheel. sure enough, kept nailing the same big rocks each lap. once i'd killed my right thumb and couldn't hold the wheel with it i started hooking the left thumb since it was the only hand on the wheel. sure enough killed that one too. wasnt' til lap three that i could spot the rocks i'd been hitting and avoid most of them.

have also roll tested the rig twice, once back in 2011 or 12 that saw a crushed forearm when my arm went thru the roof bars and a second time back in june which resulted in no injuries because i held on. that is until i popped my 5-point latch and banged a shoulder dropping out upside down