BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 04-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Lurker

Unhappy Kinroad Raptor 250 stator issue?

New to the forum so forgive me if this has been answered already.

I just picked up a Kinroad Raptor 250 that needed a little TLC. Put a new radiator on. Cleaned carb out to even out idle. Bled brakes. Tightened chain etc. etc. etc. No problem. Ran well when we test drove (5 minute ride). Now that we have brought it home and are really running it, I've started having problems.

After the carb work, it started up no problems and ran well for about 5-10 minutes. Once the engine warmed up it would start to sputter and eventually die. Occasionally I'd be able to get it started again to drive it back to the garage, but I'd have to floor it to get it going.

I'm wondering if the stator may be the issue (is it an 18 pole??) It seems like the battery is draining on the buggy as I drive. The other day, I charged the battery overnight and ran it a little during the day. It died as noted above, and then didn't have enough juice to turn the engine over again, leading me to think that the charging system may be the ultimate culprit.

Thoughts? This is getting frustrating.

On another note. While modding the cart, I picked up four 55w driving lights to use at night. They are NOT wired in yet, so I know that's not part of the problem. I know that the piece of garbage battery that is in the buggy will not be nearly enough to run them, but can anyone tell me if a new 18 pole stator and a 340cca motorcycle battery would be enough?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:05 AM
Lurker

Can show some pictures of your buggy ride?