Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 57
Good round slide carb for hammerhead 150???? - BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum
BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 09-19-2016, 09:02 AM
Lite Contributor

Question Good round slide carb for hammerhead 150????

I'm looking into getting a round slide carb for my hammerhead gt150...i'm not a fan of the carbs that come stock on these buggies..anyone have much experience on size of carb and jetting? Trying to save me a little time swapping in and out of the jets.. I was thinking about a 26mm round slide like the ones that come on the yamaha ttr125 or 150 dirtbikes..its a round slide 26mm with a manual choke..just have no clue where to start on jetting..need some good info..thanks
Old 09-19-2016, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Why are you not happy with the factory carb? Tom at SycPowersports should likely have some good info. Usually people bump to bigger carbs for the sake of heavy mods.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:14 PM
Supporting Vendor

If you go with a slide carb I would strongly suggest Mikuni VM606 series. No clue as to what you will need to tune to your engine. Even if you buy one that fits another 150cc engine different from the GY6 you will have to tune it. A good example is I had a customer with a polaris 250 atv who needed a new carb. The replacement Mikuni for that application cost almost $400.00 so I went with the same size Mikuni unerversal. I had to change out the jets, jet needle, needle jet and needle and seat. They are a totally different critter than a cv carb. Unless you have major internal engine mods the stock cv works great properly tuned. I know of several people who have used the Mikuni VM-606 26mm carb with success but they also bought with the carb the jet kits. However they all had heavy nods done to their motors.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:14 PM

What' your reason for the dislike of the stock style carb? Just curious. When dialed in, they perform pretty good.

But, if you go with a slide type, might I suggest going all in and using a flat slide.

My buggy has a bunch of mods and i run a Mikuni 28mm.

My Honda Odyssey has a couple mods and run a Keihin PWK 35 (flat slide)

My nephews KX 80 went with a PWK flat slide again

My Harley Sportster, yep, you guessed it.... Mikuni HSR 45

Only thing still rocking a round slide is my nephew's XR 100 only because I'm not modifying it. And it has that round slide hesitation the flat's don't... Roll on the throttle and you're OK. Whack it open, and you get that lag,
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 09-21-2016, 09:43 PM
Lite Contributor

That's one thing I don't like about the CV carbs, for one is the hesitation...I mean this is only a 150 here, I'm trying to get all the potential this lil motor can offer.. Another is I can't stand a diaphram base carb..just something else that can go bad..but, this is all just a matter of my opinion..the reason I was going with the round slide vs the flat slide, is because it is easier to tune this buggies with the round and, it gets rid of the lag and hesitation the CV carbs offer..my opinion, they should have used a gravity petcock and a 26mm round carb on these buggies from the factory..I have had so many issues with these carbs...I have 5 of these buggies and had to replace ALL the CV carbs on them due to either a hole in the diaphram or dry rotten diaphram..I have owned motorcycle or 4-wheelers my whole life and I'm a small motor mechanic who has worked on many bikes, just not a fan of the CV carbs..I have a ton of jets that I can play around with, just was going to get a ball park idea on where to start..on this buggy here: 1500 main clutch spring with new clutch, 11 gram sliders, Kevlar belt, UNI air intake, hot Ignition coil, hot CDI, has upgraded true 26 mm CV carb with a 130 main, JD from Jerseydevil hooked me up with his performance exhaust system..runs good, just wanted better
Old 09-21-2016, 10:13 PM

OK, fair enough.

Maybe try the VM 26-06 as suggested by Tom.

My take is if you're going to pay that much fpr a round slide, get the flat. Not much harder to tune VS. round. IMO
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 09-21-2016, 10:57 PM
Lite Contributor

Good deal man..I sure appreciate it
Old 09-22-2016, 05:18 PM
Heavy Contributor

[QUOTE=danthony;51093]That's one thing I don't like about the CV carbs, for one is the hesitation

That hesitation can be fixed! Cut one round, one round only out of the diaphragm spring. The slide opens faster and sooner. Doesn't need as much vacuum to open. Cures that throttle lag. Old Harley cv carb trick. One of the first things I do to all my cv carbs
Old 09-22-2016, 05:29 PM
Contributor

Cool

That is pretty Slick !
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2009 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2002 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 09-23-2016, 12:51 AM
Contributor

[QUOTE=ckau;51103]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthony View Post
That's one thing I don't like about the CV carbs, for one is the hesitation

That hesitation can be fixed! Cut one round, one round only out of the diaphragm spring. The slide opens faster and sooner. Doesn't need as much vacuum to open. Cures that throttle lag. Old Harley cv carb trick. One of the first things I do to all my cv carbs
Yep, I've done that to a couple of 150 buggies we've had. It works.
2015 Hammerhead GTS 250-SOLD
2008 Kazuma Coyote 150-SOLD
Old 09-23-2016, 07:24 AM
Lite Contributor

ckau...thanks so much for the info man!! I will be trying this ASAP..great idea! has anyone heard of going to a larger slow jet on these 150's? stock, mine has a 34 slow jet, but I upgraded to a 130 main...had to play around til I found the 130 worked the best for this bike..thanks guys for the info and help
Old 09-25-2016, 10:15 AM

[QUOTE=ckau;51103]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthony View Post
That's one thing I don't like about the CV carbs, for one is the hesitation

Now that is a cool trick I have never heard of until now. Thanks.

I do however have a question though.

When you say 1 ring, do you mean only the flat (last ring) or that PLUS one of the coils that compress?
Old 09-25-2016, 01:59 PM
Heavy Contributor

[QUOTE=xlint89;51124]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckau View Post
Now that is a cool trick I have never heard of until now. Thanks.

I do however have a question though.

When you say 1 ring, do you mean only the flat (last ring) or that PLUS one of the coils that compress?
Just the flat ring, any more and the float becomes too sensitive causing erratic idle because there isn't enough tension left in the spring to keep the float seated.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:00 PM

Xlint!!! Thanks for the clarification.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:13 AM
Lite Contributor

Got rid of that hesitation lag ckau..cut out the one ring and now back in business! thanks again