BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 03-23-2017, 08:50 PM
Lurker

Default another yerf dog 3206?

i'm new to the site but not to working on stuff. I just picked up this buggy for trade of some wrenching on his gator. it needs most of the normal repairs from what I've read so far. i'll be asking a lot of questions so I don't have to buy parts twice. I've got the rear swing arm pulled tonight but that's as far as I got. so i'll post a couple pics of it to close tonight. i'll get more posted up tomorrow and this weekend.

Last edited by homebuilt; 03-25-2017 at 08:03 AM. Reason: picture resize
Old 03-23-2017, 08:57 PM
Lurker

sorry about the over sized pics pasted from facebook. i'm not sure how to shrink them.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:41 AM
Supporting Vendor

that is a clean one.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:01 AM
Lurker

I think I got this picture thing figured out. anyways I'm going to start with the rear on this project. pulled the swing arm and started tearing it down to see what I need to get. looking like it'll be a long list, so here it goes.

axle
hubs
bearings
belt
brake pads
battery
intake manifold
electrical
exhaust

the wiring is pretty much toast, somebody globbed goop on the intake manifold to "fix" the large crack that it has. hubs are gone and have started to wear on the "new" axle they just put in it last year. I will be adding the extra sleeve to the hubs to help keep the axle together. there's a small crack at the adjustment tab that needs to be repaired. is there any place else that should get beefed up on the swingarm while it's apart? I'm thinking about adding reverse and upgrading the shocks also. this is mainly for the kiddos so i'm not doing a lot of performance mods. I need to get it outside and washed up. it looks like I can get everything from buggy depot. if there's any upgraded parts I can get please let me know, i'd rather buy parts once.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:53 PM
Heavy Contributor

You didn't bring it up. But I would suggest a new air intake. Pretty cheap if do it right. Can buy uni off amazon or ebay. And I went to an exhaust shop and just asked for scrap piece of pipe for the intake pipe. Then buy a rubber attachment from home depo. Or they got some on line around 10 or 15.
Better then buying the kits for around 100.
Suggest exhaust also. Or modify the one on it.
I get your not looking to beef up, for kids. But will be much easier on engine. And don't kid yourself. You will be driving it also. .
Look into some lighter wieghts for the ctv. I like 10g for my kids. Takes a while to get to top speed. Plus, keeps power in lower band if you need it. 10 might be to light. 11 or 12 might be better, depending on what you want.
Just stuff I can think of off top of head. Ohhhh. Get some decent seat belts. That's a MUST, with kids in that model of yerfdog. Trust me.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:44 PM
Heavy Contributor

Sorry. Guess u did say intake and exhaust.
But seat belts a must for kids. Kids have rolled it 3 times. 2 times went end over end. With 5 points, they came out without a scratch. As bird suggested, look on ebay, for some retired drag racing belts.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:55 PM
Lurker

yes open air intake is planned forgot to mention that, and I will look into the 5 point harness'. i'm also interested in the clutch weights, I've gotta research that some more. cvt are not my specialty.

I got a little bit more done, the deeper I dig the more I find looks like I need a new automatic clutch, something is up with the primary clutch. on the bright side I did fix the crack around the engine adjustment tab and stiffened up the battery box that was on it's way out or is that on it's way off?

oh and found the valves were adjusted to tight, it could barely make 80 psi cranking. I backed them off and now its almost 180. I gotta look up the correct gap for those.

Last edited by homebuilt; 03-25-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:14 AM
Heavy Contributor

Your rear motor mount/chain adjustment tab looks good. But unfortunately the stress extends far beyond the apparent cracks in the tubing. The visual cracking is only a percentage of the total metal fatigue. The tabs on each side of the bracket strengthens the bracket it's self but doesn't relive the stress on the tube. The cracking tends to return along the welds where the added tabs are attached to the tubing. The only way I have found to permanently cure the problem is to fold a plate around both the mount tube and the curved brace. This method transfers the stress motion to pull on the added plate rather than twisting the tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 165.jpg (88.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-26-2017, 01:20 PM
Supporting Vendor

Good advise.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:22 PM
Supporting Vendor

On a cold engine adjust the intake to .003"and exhaust to .005" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebuilt View Post
yes open air intake is planned forgot to mention that, and I will look into the 5 point harness'. i'm also interested in the clutch weights, I've gotta research that some more. cvt are not my specialty.

I got a little bit more done, the deeper I dig the more I find looks like I need a new automatic clutch, something is up with the primary clutch. on the bright side I did fix the crack around the engine adjustment tab and stiffened up the battery box that was on it's way out or is that on it's way off?

oh and found the valves were adjusted to tight, it could barely make 80 psi cranking. I backed them off and now its almost 180. I gotta look up the correct gap for those.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:16 PM
Lurker

ckau

I appreciate the heads up, and corrected it. I see you have a lot of extra bracing on your's, how much of that do you think is necessary for a mild buggy. now is the time to do it if I should.

sycarms

thank you for the valve clearances. that'll save some research time.

the primary clutch turned out to be simple, it was just the rollers got all wonky and were keeping the clutch from spreading back out. it does need a good cleaning before going back together. I also noticed the clutch bell is blue from getting hot, broken clutch probably didn't help that. i'll probably just get a whole secondary, the yellow spring, and the 10gram rollers and call it good.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:30 PM
Heavy Contributor

[QUOTE=homebuilt;52501]

how much of that do you think is necessary for a mild buggy. now is the time to do it if I should.

The brace along the rear bottom of the swing arm is a must. it will keep the swing arm from spreading apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 165.jpg (84.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-26-2017, 08:44 PM
Lurker

will do! 1 1/2"- 1/8" wall square tubing looks like you used. I've got some of that in stock would you happen to know what it's supposed to measure out at? I can squeeze it in if it needs it.

one other question to everyone, how do I know if my ignition is ac or dc? need to order up some electrical parts.

Last edited by homebuilt; 03-26-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:45 AM
Supporting Vendor

Yerf dogs were AC volt.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:10 PM
Lurker

much appreciated . here I sit waiting for parts, making a list for more parts
Old 03-27-2017, 06:06 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebuilt View Post
would you happen to know what it's supposed to measure out at? I can squeeze it in if it needs it..
Every swing wing arm I messed with was just that much different. flip it over an pull some diagonal measurements to check for square. you may have to do some tweaking.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:55 PM
Lurker

I gotchya covered, it took a tap here a pull there and a couple ratchet straps. its within a 1/16 of a inch, should work for a dirt runner. if it was running on a track i'd probably pull a little more. I think it'll hold. oh yeah that stash of 1 1/2" tubing I had was 1/4" wall, I found this piece on the bottom of the wife's yard hammock. shh don't tell her!

Last edited by homebuilt; 03-27-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:20 PM
Heavy Contributor

[QUOTE=homebuilt;52507] I found this piece on the bottom of the wife's yard hammock. shh don't tell her QUOTE]

LOL I needed some water proof boxes to hold some dash panels. The dog and I were sharing leftovers out of the frig. I realized the Tupperware containers were the perfect dimensions. I stole my wife's Tupperware! When she noticed them missing, I took the low road and blamed it on the dog!
Old 04-06-2017, 07:48 PM
Lurker

don't worry guy's this project isn't dead, just waiting on BD to get me some more parts. it seems to be a pattern with them that I just learned about. I ordered from them because of the reputation they had on here, but that has seemed to changed in recent months I've been tinkering with it though, just welding up stray cracks and such. nothing really post worthy.