BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 07-30-2022, 09:32 AM
Lurker

Default HammerHead GT150 Issues/HeadAches

Hello everyone....i need some help. i recently bought an older Hammerhead GT150 buggy in decent condition. it ran great for about the first week or so. my son was riding it one day and it just quit running. after looking it over i noticed that the brand new battery was dead and the head lights would stay on even with the key turned off and key removed. i ended up un hooking the battery to get the dim head lights to go off. i took the battery back to where i purchased it and it was tested bad or shorted out. they replaced my battery. after removing the plastic box from the electronics i noticed a bare wire, yellow and red i think that was coming from what looked to me like a CDI ??? someone had put electrical tape on it before and it had slipped off and caused the bare wire to run on the metal chassis. i tapped the wire back up temporarily to see if this was the issue. i attached the new battery to the leads and tried to crank the motor but it wont crank, something is just making a small click noise but it wasnt the solenoid i dont think. my question is this....im sure the bare wire caused some damage to the electrical component but what likely? also, where is the best place to buy parts for these buggies....much appreciated everyone
Old 08-01-2022, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

The yellow/red wire is your trigger wire from the key to the solenoid(the grounding wire to power). Your lights staying on tells me the solenoid has likely failed,it remained activated(turned on). A replacement can come from about any source, just find one that matches your plug end.Internet search for 12v solenoid-motor size isn't really important. For instance a riding mower solenoid will work but it's plug-in terminals will be different. Also this is one of those parts where quality isn't really important as they all work the same (quality = longevity). Unfortunately you may have a damaged stator now. Try the new solenoid then see if it's charging the battery, if the lights get brighter when reving the motor the stator is working.

Last edited by metalstudman1; 08-02-2022 at 12:02 AM.