BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 08-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Lurker

Cool changing current engine

Yes, I'm a new member...just purchased a spiderbox with the usual front end problems, fixing them as we speak. Now, current howitt motor does not run. First question: it looks like I have to remove the engine and surrounding framework/axle/tires/etc. to get it out ot work on it???? Also, can I put a HF 196cc. motor on it temporarily while I try to find out what's wrong with my original one. Not new to go carts (have 5 for company to ride) but new to this model. Have been trying to find one of these for awhile and purchased this one w/extra motor, parts for $400. Body, seat & tires are Xcellent...motor is?????? Great forum. learning alot but this thread will help me. thanx in advance.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:08 PM

theres a swingarm bolt that holds the engine up goes (horizontal) remove that, and remove bolt on the tail of the buggy, that tail bolt pull tension on the sprocket also but pulls up the engine, those should be it that i can think of, and then of course ur odds and ends to pull it out,
Old 08-13-2012, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome- jmansracerocket has given the only bolts to remove(1 long & 1 short) for getting the motor out-it drops out underneath or pulled back up from the rear. For you to install an industial engine (HF 196cc) you'll need a base plate & framing on the swingarm, with no good way to move the sprocket over you'll need to add a longer jackshaft off the CVT (driven unit). If you price the CVT, the engine, custom #530 chain sprocket for the driven unit-or custom axle sprocket and the fab time mounting it you'll have rebuilt or bought a new complete GY6 motor. There's a "WORLD" of difference between a GY6 150cc & a HF clone 196cc or 212cc when it comes to performance.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:05 AM
Lurker

Default Thnks for the info...

Thnx again...I figured by looking at it, it would be a B------ to convert but had to ask. Will be taking 150 out and seeing what's not working? Probably will have questions again. used to tear down racing snowmobile engines (in my younger days) but this seems a little different. Especially being Asian w/Mikuni carb. Great forum guys.