BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 05-24-2017, 06:03 AM
Contributor

Default Crossfire 400r Irs

This weekend we killed 3 buggys in ina 30 minute time span. My buddys crossfire ate a tree with the driver front wheel and broke it completely off and folded the shock in half and then not long after that i hit his son head on at about 35mph coming around a turn ( he had lost something out of his buggy and turned around to go get it) and it pretty much totaled my HH 250 and tore his HH GL 150 up pretty bad No body was seriously hurt just some bruises. But his buggy just needs 2 new a-arms and a wheel and my 250 it completely destroyed both a-arms the shock and all mounting tabs for the a-arms and strut.

So im bout to go out side and cut the HH 250 in half behind the seats and we are just going to weld the HH rear to the crossfire 150r and then after our trip to the offroad park we are going to put the 400cc on. Id like some input on building a jackshaft tho. I need to find some universal indicator lights for H/L/N/R cause i kinda got used to having them but then again idk if its worth the trouble since im planning on putting the 400cc twin on within the next month.

Another question i had was if i need both radiators or if i can get buy with the main one? And im goin to need a pair of swing arms sooner than later as these are already starting to twist.

Will try to get better pics tomorrow. The wheel base is longer than id like but its just mocked up..ish atm so itll be a couple inches shorter once its actually put together. Also looking for a pair of rear Carter GTR 250/300 rims or would like to know the offset of them so i get a set from ITP. Im eventually going 22/7/10 on the front and 23-24/11/12 on the rear.

HH 250ss....wrecked...RIP
Old 05-25-2017, 09:52 AM

wow, at least u and the kid are ok that's the important part.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 5 point harness, welded cage.

Blade Single Seater Restore
r2c air filter, manual choke conversion, homemade cargo/tank rack

Currently own 4 buggies !
Old 05-25-2017, 11:41 AM
Supporting Vendor

Good to hear everyone is OK. You have your work cut out for you.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:02 PM
Contributor

Here are a couple of retakes. And one of the little HH 150 i hit which has been mostly fixed and one of the other crossfire. The HH 250 rear just about fits perfect under the crossfire's rack. Hopefully we should have the frames welded together this afternoon and then all thats left is to move the wiring and shifter over to the crossfire and remount the brake master cylinder.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:02 AM
Contributor

Making some progress......Hope we got everything level and square. Should have it ready to test drive tomorrow.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:50 AM

nice work, its always nice having a spare frame for parts or situations like u ran into.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 5 point harness, welded cage.

Blade Single Seater Restore
r2c air filter, manual choke conversion, homemade cargo/tank rack

Currently own 4 buggies !
Old 05-26-2017, 02:20 PM
Contributor

Thx. Ive had that crossfire for a couple of years now just for this purpose and I originally bought the HH 250 just to cut the rear end off but then when i got it home it just needed a clutch and carb put back on and the frame was in such good shape i just couldnt bring my self to cut it up so ive been riding the hell out of it and then this happened so that gave me a reason the cut it up. I think i paid 150 for the crossfire and 350 for the HH and ive got a yard full of buggys for parts and still cant find what i need half the time lol
Old 05-27-2017, 01:58 AM
Contributor

Heres a couple with the cage back on. Still gotta weld the bottom of the frame up and modify the 3 mounts behind the seats. We are going to weld the cage solid at all mounting points and put an x brace in the roof of it and fix the rack area where it can be taken off separate like the HH 250s rack. Gotta get shifter mounted and hooked up and get some custom wiring done....Atm i just have the entire HH dash and harness layed out in the floor for testing. Im really shocked at how the HH 250 rear fits so good under the crossfire rack.....It almost seems like its sposed to be there. P.S. it looks better in person and it wasnt quiet aligned in this pic.

Id like some suggestions/ideals on building a custom dash and possibly a center console. Im getting a tach and id like to have H/L/N/R indicator lights along with Fan and Temp lights im going to keep the power outlet and turn signal switch and horn button i believe. Head light switch is going to be setup so low beam turns on the 2 led cubes in the bull bar and high beam will turn those on plus roof lights when i figure out what i wanna mount up there.

Discuss....

Old 05-27-2017, 10:13 AM
Supporting Vendor

Looking like a buggy again.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:24 AM
Contributor

Update.....Its now on its own 4 wheels and is solid. Gotta get wiring done and shifter mounted and brake master cylinder mounted. Master cylinder will be mounted directly in front of driver seat as theres no where behind to mount it. Shifter will be mounted as expected and battery will be mounted in the center in front of the motor. Also added a couple of goodies to my buddys sons buggy and got me a new toy to put on.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:42 PM

I finally had to chop it to a smaller panel with my eps install, but I always liked the basic dash i made from a piece of aluminum diamond plate. Welded some tabs with holes to the cross tube ahead of the steering column, mounted whatever i wanted in it and bolted it in place. A filler panel in the frame opening ahead of it kept the mud and water off of it.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Contributor

You have any pics of it?
Old 05-29-2017, 10:33 PM

the page linked, post 631 about half way down has a picture of it.
http://buggymasters.com/forum/showth...?t=2243&page=7
Old 05-30-2017, 03:33 AM
Contributor

Thx buddy thats sorta what im wanting to do. Got shifter installed and temporary wiring/dash installed earlier tonight and took it for spin through the trails and have to say it almost rides like a cadillac and feels alot stronger than the HH did.....idk if its any faster or not yet but it seems like it. I need to get brakes put on next and get some new shocks as the crossfire front shocks are garbage right off the showroom floor and the HH rear shocks are blown out have leaked pretty bad and are just spongy feeling but it still rides way better than any 150cc or the HH250.

Any suggestions on rear shocks would be awesome. Im most likley going with predator 500 on the front. Going to weld the cage at all bolt together joints as i cant stand how every crossfire has that horrible cage rattle and also goin to ad an X brace to the roof and will hopefully have the winch on tomorrow. Trying to decide if i should add two battery's since ill have a winch. Currently i run 230 cca lawnmower battery's in all my buggys.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:42 PM

You'd probably be good to go with the predator podiums front and rear. i've used 3 pairs of those now in different builds. always down to spring selection to get it dialed in, all else you can tune internally easy enough. I'd chop the pass. grab bar, run a dash panel under that tube across it all and put a panel in the front that also turns upward for 3-4 inches of the front hoop to give some extra splash protection. Once you panel these buggies in, you don't want to go back to open ones if you're hitting mud holes or stream crossings.

Last edited by x-bird; 05-30-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:32 AM
Contributor

Hmmm thats a good ideal about the shocks.....should i use predator 500 fronts or rears all they way around? I also like that the way that dash sounds. I absolutely can not stay out the mud and we do have a few crossings and a few trails that you actually drive down the creek bed. Ill be putting a 5 inch sunpro super tach 3 in front of the steering wheel.....really dont want a tach that big but i had one on my old crossfire and its the only one that read over 8000 rpm and had a two clyinder setting. (For future reference any tach with a 2 cylinder setting works on our buggys)

Got some more ride time today and i love it and it still mostly fits through all of our trails even with the added length. It feels so much peppier than the HH250 and high gear is actually usable now in the trails instead of just hard pack. Did a top speed run and it hit 46 mph on flat ground with aired down tires. The HH250 would only hit around 42 and took forever to creep up to that speed and only managed 45 down a long hill once. These are gps speeds btw. Is the crossfire really that much lighter? Really gotta figure out the alignment tho cause it was all over the place from about 35+ just could not keep it straight....HH250 tracked straight as an arrow at any speed. My goal is atleast 50 with the 250 then once i drop the 400 in itll go way faster than id want to drive it.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:18 AM
Contributor

Update.....Did some alignment work and it now drives 100% better.....also hit 51mph with two people today on the same down hill section that the HH250 only hit 45 with just me and drove straight as could be. Relocated small radiator to what i thought was a good spot till i put the seat back in......and its basically covered it :/......Do i really even need the small one? New master cylinder otw along with led tail/brake light strip.

Exhaust hanger broke today and the flex pipe has a gaping hole it so i need opinions on exhaust and mufflers.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:31 AM

shocks ---use fronts, they're podium 500s--all Fox so in the end the source doesn't matter as much as eye-to-eye length and what spring is on it. Again, you may have to pick up some springs to experiment with, usually the quad front springs end up too stiff up front, ok at the rear.

You might want to consider a Trail Tech, speedo, tach, shift lights, temp gauge, trip all in one unit.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Contributor

Ok cool. Ive thought about the trail tech before...any particular model?
Old 06-01-2017, 02:24 PM
Supporting Vendor

75-402 is what I have on my 250. These are all designed for ATV's or cycles. You will have to weld a bracket for the speed sensor.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:32 AM
Contributor

Ok ill look in to that. Got master cylinder mount welded on tonight and got the cage tacked at all joints so no more rattles in the cage but now i hear the front motor mount rattling actually its some long bolt thats sposed to have a rubber dampener on it or something. Jersey devil is building me an exhaust. Need carb suggestions cause this carb has never worked like it should.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:06 AM
Supporting Vendor

A stock carb rejetted is all you need.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:39 AM
Contributor

Im beginning to believe its the crap electric choke. is there any way to mod it so thats its permanently off? Heres a couple of pics from saturday.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:18 PM
Supporting Vendor

Why do you say it is the electric choke?
Old 06-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Contributor

It has a very erratic idle after it warms up and constantly smells rich regardless of jet size.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:28 AM
Supporting Vendor

Check to make sure with the engine running that you have power to the enrichment valve. The current to the enrichment circuit has a resistor usually of the neg. side to control a set voltage, so don't expect to see 12 volts at the valve usually anywhere from 9-10 volts. 99% of the time the problem is no voltage to the valve due to bad connection broken wire or bad resistor.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:31 PM
Contributor

Ok thx ill check that today
Old 06-08-2017, 06:00 AM
Contributor

So im getting a set of Carter GTR wheels and have quickly found out that nobody makes a 23-24x10-11 or 12x12 tire....except theres a swamp fox 23-10x12 but other than that 23 and 24s only come in 8 wide for 12 inch rims so im wondering what i need to do sprocket wise to run 25 inch tires. Also gotta figure out how to get a 4on4 hub on the front of a crossfire.

Also got a new master cylinder with 4 ports with a brake light switch (only needed 2 ports plus switch) and got a led tail/brake light strip along with a 7 inch led bar for a reverse light. Need to find an atv radiator so i can replace both HH radiators with just one bigger one.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Nice job man. Seems to me Polaris trail boss or Trail Blazers use a 23" tire. (Pretty sure that's what uses it. It's Polaris something) Maybe look for some being sold on Craigslist.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:05 AM
Contributor

Thx buddy and i have found a few but im looking to get a set of mudlites or vampires or somthing similar. i may go with the swamp fox for now. Update...got winch installed last night. Now to get tail lights and reverse lights installed. I like the looks of the trail tech...is it back lit?
Old 06-09-2017, 06:09 AM
Contributor

Cool

Kenda Bearclaw's . I bought 23/11/10 's for my King Cobra , in 24" too .
MANCO SILVER FOX
2009 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 06-09-2017, 11:39 AM
Contributor

The carter gtr rims are 12 inch rear. I can find plenty of good tires on 10inch rims
Old 06-09-2017, 01:23 PM
Supporting Vendor

Try rockymountainatv.com or motosport.com.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:34 PM
Contributor

I have and also mudthrowers.com and a couple others. I may just get the 23x10-12 swamp foxes for now till i get some sprockets.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:08 AM
Contributor

Does anyone know what size bearings are on the crossfire 150 front? Or atleast i need the the inner diameter of the front bearings.

What im planning on doing is run the gtr 250 front hubs if i can find some bearings that fit the crossfire spindle and GTR hubs. Ill have to build a set of caliper mounts but that shouldnt be to hard.....Update...found the bearings needed for the GTR hub to fit a Crossfire 150 spindle.....6003rs for the outer and 6004rs for the inner.

Last edited by BEEFKING69; 06-10-2017 at 03:13 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
Check to make sure with the engine running that you have power to the enrichment valve. The current to the enrichment circuit has a resistor usually of the neg. side to control a set voltage, so don't expect to see 12 volts at the valve usually anywhere from 9-10 volts. 99% of the time the problem is no voltage to the valve due to bad connection broken wire or bad resistor.
Found out its defiantly the choke cause when i took it off and took it apart it was just a huge blob of corrosion under the cap where the wires go in. Got it put back together to where its always off for now and have ordered another one. It idles so much better and gained a couple mph also but now i need to rejet the carb but im having problems still with it just dieing like its out of gas. Sometimes the filter is empty when it does it and sometimes the filter is still full when it does it......let it sit a couple of minutes and it cranks right back up.

It has a new 1/4 inch petcock and hose and big filter....does it with or without the gas cap on and ive had the carb off multiple times to check float and needle and run it through the ultrasonic cleaner.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:08 PM
Contributor

Got new rear pads in today which are non existent on ebay apparently so i just browsed till i seen some that looked the same and ran across a set for a PGO Bugrider 250 and they match the old ones perfectly. They are Gold Fren AD283 ceramic carbon pads. Also seen several atv pads for around 5 bucks that look like they will fit...gonna start ordering different ones along and see what all fits.

Also ordered a new carb and apparently they are sending a 30mm pumper instead of the stock one.....so any one have any experience with the pumpers on the 250s?
Old 06-15-2017, 04:01 AM
Contributor

87 Honda trx250 rotors are a direct replacement for GTR250 front rotors so i got them on the hubs and now got the hubs on the crossfire.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:07 AM
Contributor

Update.....GTR wheels will be here monday and these outer bearings are not gonna work as planned because they stop on the spindle to soon and allow the hub to slide back and forth a half an inch or so.....I need a 17x37x**mm bearing

Last edited by BEEFKING69; 06-16-2017 at 05:03 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:11 AM
Contributor

Ok so heres what im going to do....I ordered a pair of 20x37x9mm bearings and a pair of 17x20mm bushings so we will see how that works.