BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 10-13-2015, 06:25 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Buggy Security.... my way, anyway.

Yesterday my dear wife and I decided to explore a part of the forest near our home. The area is posted no vehicles or horses. There's a big steel pipe gate with a pile of rocks on either side to keep vehicles out. But, it's right on a forest road, and I wasn't too keen on leaving the TM300 unattended for very long. Somebody could just hook it up and tow it away if nothing else.
So, I had a great idea that maybe I could drive the buggy over the rocks and leave it just on the other side. So, I did a little rock crawling and proceeded to get the buggy high centered and immobile on the rock pile. Oh well, good enough!
And yeah, getting it back down and maneuvered between two trees involved a lot of pulling, pushing, lifteing and rocking. NOTE: bashing your skull into the tubing does not work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151012_121746.jpg (101.3 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by Gummerfan; 10-13-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:47 PM
Contributor

Lol that is a pretty big rock to get over
Old 10-13-2015, 07:00 PM
Contributor

Cool

I put a winch on the front of my King Cobra , then one on the rear , last year , The wife said " are you done yet " I said no I need one for the roof as a joke ,,,, After looking at your picture/predicament , there might be something to that !
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2009 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2002 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 10-13-2015, 07:38 PM
Lite Contributor

Yep, a winch would have been handy. Even a jack. The really fun part was constantly trying to explain that I couldn't just "come straight back" lol!
Old 10-15-2015, 08:08 AM
Heavy Contributor

I know this might be a silly suggestion. I wouldn't think of this, because anywhere I go, I know I can go, or cant. But in situation where you in a new area, or possible that buggy might need left behind. Wouldn't a chain, and lock work good?
Again, might be little simple minded. And I wouldn't think about it. But if I ever get to
go to Colorado with his and my family, I plan on taking the buggys to his cabin. And after reading this, I would guess it would be something to look into. I would have no Idea where or where I couldn't take the buggy's.
Anyone else, keep a chain and lock on their buggy for that reason? Even in a event of break down, and would half to walk away from it for a while? Just wondering.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Lite Contributor

I've thought of that myself. But in the areas I ride, everybody pretty much has all kinds of tools and stuff in their vehicles all the time. But I'm sure a lock and chain would be a deterrent. I've also thought about taking along a wrench and removing one of the wheels and stashing it in the woods or taking it with me if I have to catch a ride.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:36 AM
Supporting Vendor

If somebody wanted it they would carry it off and load it into a pickup. Unless it is chained to something and bolt cutters are not available it is fair game for some undesirable. As the old saying goes " If someone wants it they will take it." But at least they would have to work if they wanted it.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:10 PM
Contributor

Cool

I'm with SYCARMS , if they want it bad enough they'll get it . All my ATV'S are insured through Allstate even the King Cobra . $50,000 liability , fire , theft , even collision about $50 a year per machine . Also helps when apprehended by the long arm of the law to be able to show registration and insurance . Usually get off with a warning instead of impound .
Here's an anti theft trick I use when put away and on the trail . All my stuff has drilled brake rotors , I just drilled out a hole big enough to slip a pad lock through it / wheels can't turn , and you can't get bolt cutters on it ( would need a cutoff wheel ) Has to be a QUALITY LOCK . I used Master locks till one day I forgot and drove off - sheared instantly , probably wouldn't if you were pushing or towing it .
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 10-15-2015, 12:17 PM
Lite Contributor

Yep, if somebody wants to take badly enough, they can. Just try to make it more effort than it's worth. Good idea about the padlock.
If mine's unattended for any time away from home, the most likely thief would be a random opportunist who thinks it would be easy pickings.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:47 PM
Contributor

Cool

I love the insurance , in the event of a theft they pay book value , and it was super easy to get over the phone . The $50,000 liability/medical is also good if you have crappy or no health insurance . Back in 2012 my son and oldest granddaughter had a wicked accident ( end over end off a steep 80' hill on a four wheeler ) We were in the woods a mile back from the nearest road , paramedics made it in but called in a helicopter which my son immediately refused for fear of a crazy high Bill . Got them out to an ambulance on back boards , but insurance would have been useful that day if things played out differently .
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 10-15-2015, 01:06 PM
Contributor

Cool

Come to think of it , I think I'm lying , I'll have to check my policy , I believe my Allstate is $100,000 not $50,000 for $50 a year per machine whereas my Son goes thru State Farm - $50,000 at $100 a year per machine . Anyways one of those things worth having , and you hope you don't have to use .
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 10-15-2015, 02:48 PM
Heavy Contributor

I have a security cable and heavy lock on the buggy. Sometimes we ride in places where there is nothing substantial to attach a cable and just lock buggies together. We prefer to have a physical deterrent backing up a visual one - No one want a potential thief to cause damage because he thought he could tow, roll or drive your vehicle away.

Some of the states we visit have insurance requirements to be able to ride. We have liability coverage on all of our off-road vehicles if we cause an accident or injury.

Last edited by GX150; 10-15-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:06 PM
Heavy Contributor

This might be almost to simple. But if I happen to need to leave my buggy out over night at the pond, I will pull one of the connection off the coil. Guess really no different than pulling a key out. And if someone knows what to look for, be easy fix. But at least it's not just an easy jump in, and take off. Much better to get the buggy away from the area it was found at, then load it. So will slow them down, either way.
Plus the fact, as stated before, if they want it, then they will take it. But if it doesn't start, then that might give them 2nd thoughts about wanting it at all.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:29 PM
Supporting Vendor

We have had a rash of atv thefts here lately. I haven't heard anyone say they heard someone driving away with their ride. They will cut the lock if any then push it up on a trailer or up to a truck to load. Most will park the get away vehicle down the road so as not to alarm the house they plan to steal from. My neighbor had swapped for an atv off Barter Junkies. He than posted it to sell. Someone wanting to buy it asked for pictures which he sent them. They never showed up until after the sheriffs did to let him know the atv was stolen. Lucky for him he had the name of the lame brain and his address so he got his dirt bike back he swapped for. The gentleman who was from Alabama that the night it was stolen his dogs started going wild in the back yard about 2 am. He said he grabbed a gun and run out in his underwear to find 4 people hopping into a pickup truck several hundred feet from his house and they were gone. So one could figure 40-50 seconds for them to cut the lock and push it about 200 feet pick it up and put it in the back of a pickup. People underestimate the skills these scum bags have. After all the average house break in is done in under 2 minutes and they have most of your valuables. It's best not to have a routine, that's what they watch for.