BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 03-07-2016, 11:33 PM
Lurker

Default Trailmaster XRS 150

Hi all. First time posting and first time owner of a buggy/go kart. Kids rode their cousins and loved it so I went out and purchased one off Craigslist. Trailmaster XRS 150. Good condition.

What modifications would you make that are not too expensive (to make it go faster)? Excuse any typos or rookie mistakes. Ive been reading some but not sure if this is the correct terminology.

1. Should I change the air filter to the Uni type filters (redneck filters I believe they are called)?

2. If I do that I would need to 're-jet' the carburetor. I am not mechanically inclined so I would have to take it to a repair shop for this. Is this expensive if someone does it for you?

Would these 2 changes give the buggy a good boost? Anything else that isn't to expensive?

Thanks for the info!! Kids love it so far they just want to beat their cousins kart which is faster!
Old 03-08-2016, 07:53 AM
Contributor

Cool

Redneck filter refers to the homemade 6" PVC intake guys run with a Uni . You can buy kits from vendors that come with appropriate intake . Regardless a huge upgrade for any Buggy . Technically a performance upgrade because of free'r flowing , you wouldn't notice drastic speed increases , but you get the piece of mind and engine protection of a real quality air filter.Every stock filter and airbox on every Buggy I've ever had was a dysfunctional piece of JUNK , although I've never had a TrailMaster yet . Check your throttle from gas pedal to carb linkage for adjustment limiters that control amount of travel of cable .Hold pedal to the floor and check that carb linkage is full throttle . Put the Buggy up on stands and see that the brakes aren't dragging , lube or replace wheel bearings so they spin easily , make sure tires are inflated up to spec.s , make sure chain isn't binding / properly tensioned , cleaned and oiled . You might get some more speed but more importantly you'll get your maintenance up to par also .
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2009 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2002 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY

Last edited by OLDKID; 03-08-2016 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling detail
Old 03-08-2016, 08:23 AM
Heavy Contributor

Just changing the air filter, wont need re-jetting, I think. Depends on how crappy the stock one I guess. Changing exhaust does give a nice increase. But can be pricey depending on what way you go.
Biggest thing I noticed, is changing your sliders, or rollers in your CVT Trani. Lighter weights, will give you better take off, and keep you in the lower gear longer.
If your wanting speed/ top speed, they are pretty limited unless you change your final gears, and or larger tires. Even then, still limited. Can always port and polish your intake, and exhaust ports, likely will give you a little more. But not huge.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:23 AM
Contributor

Cool

Free flowing filter = more air , more air requires more gas , that's where you get better performance . Larger jet gives more fuel and also prevents a possible lean mixture situation that can and will damage your engine . Jet size choice's can be tricky / trial and error . Go with advice from someone that's Been through it with the EXACT Buggy , filter , etc. But circumstances can vary . Only the color of your spark plug knows for sure . Learn what that means and you'll understand proper jetting . Like any hobby the learning curve is a lot of the fun . Get an education on your carb.( simple ) and what I said about spark plug color and then you can make a better choice between DIY , or shop . Regardless it's a 1-2 hour job . Hope this helps . And seriously check your tire pressure , and other things I mentioned . Low air pressure in tires steals tons of power .
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY

Last edited by OLDKID; 03-08-2016 at 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling ditto
Old 03-08-2016, 09:31 AM
Contributor

Cool

Oh , and while yer at it , up on stands , CHANGE YOUR ENGINE AND GEARCASE/FINAL DRIVE OILS . Since it's new to you who knows when the last time it was done . Grease / oil everything that moves , pivots , or rotates . 10/4
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 03-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Lurker

Thank you!! I hadn't even thought about checking the tire pressure but I will.
Thanks for the list of things I should do. I will start 'trying' to do some of these or invite a friend that is more mechanically inclined to help tackles some of these.
You're right some of the fun is learning about all the new options with this hobby. My problem has always been that when I try to fix something mechanical it always seems like I mess it up worse and then have to pay more to have it fixed.
Thanks for the advice!

Now my brother in law wants one for his kids! LOL...
Old 03-08-2016, 11:48 AM
Lurker

BTW - I like your blue buggy. Looks nice.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Contributor

Cool

Buggy's are contagious .
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY