BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 07-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Joyner Sand Viper 250 Steering Box Blowout!

I was cleaning down the Sandviper yesterday (It was REALLY Muddy from a trail ride here in Ohio).
Anyhow, when I got to the steering box I noticed a quarter sized chunk missing from the side of the case (Drivers side).
Not good I thought. Now it's going to be an ongoing chore to keep her lubed up.
My next thought was "How in the world did that happen and Can I fix it.
As it turns out, when you trun the wheel all the way to the right (making the rack run all the way to the left) there is a bolt that hit's the inside of the case before anyother part locks out. Apparently I turned it hard enough (not suprising cause I trail ride and these Joyners aren't know for the tight turning radious) that the bolt in question blew the side of the case out from the inside.
The bad news is, I can't fix it back to stock becase now when I lock to wheel out in a turn the bolt sticks clear out of the case. I'm going to have to come up with some sort of "Bubble" fix.
The good news, my tuning radious is better then it was
Old 07-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Contributor

Yeah that happened to a freind of mines at the Bash as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeulR4W1_PU
Old 07-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Contributor

One thing you could try as a temporary fix,is to use open gear grease. It is kind of a combination of grease and really heavy gear oil. But it is made to stick on to what ever is put on. It is used on some heavy construction equipment. Not sure were you would get it, but it is around. I have some left over from my working days. Then cover the hole with duct tape or something.Might last for a while. Later
Old 07-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Steering box blowout

Can you post a picture? What about covering it with some thin sheetmetal? Is this a common problem on this type buggy?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Heavy Contributor

If you hit a bump and let go of the wheel, the rack will punch out the side of the steering box. I have seen one repaired, you can replace just the box, or you can replace the entire rack for another model.