BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 10-22-2019, 08:14 AM
Lurker

Default TrailMaster 150 XRX Story and Street Legal Accessories?

Hey all,

First post. Glad to be a part of the forums.

I bought a 2016 150 XRX from Craigslist last month, my first of any sort of buggy, kart, ATV, UTV, etc. I really wanted to make it street legal. Since I live in Austin, TX in a very urban area, I don't have land to drive it and wanted to be able to use it at times when I am not towing it somewhere to go offroading. I also like a challenge.

After quite a process, I was able to track down the MCO. I then considered going through DirtLegal. After enough research on that, I figured I could do the South Dakota thing myself and save some money. I didn't really want SD plates, but I sent in everything anyway. Because the MCO says body style of "Go Kart", they rejected it outright. I decided not to deal with that again and wanted to be able to schmooze in person, figuring I'd have more of a chance.

So, as of a few days ago, I am legal in Texas as a Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (NEV). I can drive off-highway up to 35mph on any road where the max speed it 45mph.

It has been awesome picking my kids up from school and running close errands around the area. This leads me to my questions.
  1. Does anyone know of an aftermarket (or some other idea) to rig up along the lines of an ATV cargo box that would fit the rack on the rear of the XRX? Ideally, I'd like it to fit two helmets and lock. Just looking for ideas.
  2. Is there anyone here who uses the Hammerhead windshield? Right now I have a makeshift windshield but want something better (Polycarbonate, etc) but think the Hammerhead one is pricey. Is it worth it? Any cheaper suggestions?
  3. What about a good cup holder? Not sure if it is possible, but I'd like it to fit the 32oz size tumblers.
  4. Fuel gauge recommendations other than the ones that replace the gas cap?
  5. The turn signal switch is inconveniently placed. I was looking at a generic hot-rod clamp on type, but thought there could be a better idea.

I've added much better 5-point racing harnesses, a wide rear view mirror, and TireJect in the tires, etc. If there is anything else you guys think would be useful?

Anyway, thanks if you made it this far on my long first post and look forward to hearing any ideas/suggestions ya'll might have.

S_L

Last edited by street_legal; 10-22-2019 at 08:16 AM. Reason: clarification