BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 11-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Lurker

Default Where do I start?

I am fairly new to the mini-buggy world. About 18 months ago I bought my first buggy which was a Kinroad 150 and made some upgrades to it (intake, exhaust, variator with 9g sliders, Kevlar belt, CDI) which helped its performance but not as much as I'd hoped. Before buying this buggy I didn't know much about small engines (and still don't) which is why the upgrades were kept simple.

Recently I upgraded to a Kandi KD-250-GKA and so far I have been very pleased with its power and performance and especially adult size. The only negatives I've encountered so far are that it is too big to put in the back of my truck and for some of the local ATV trails. Despite my satisfaction so far, I still want more performance.

My riding is split between ATV trails and other off-road riding where I need power and open field and back road riding with friends with larger 4-wheelers and side-by-sides where I need more speed. The simple solution would have been to get a larger ATV but I didn't want to get more than my early-teen kids could handle and didn't want to spend $10,000.

What suggestions for performance upgrades would you all suggest keeping in mind that I'm not much of a mechanic and don't want to spend thousands?
Old 11-15-2013, 03:13 PM

welcome cjdeppe, sounds like you got a great buggy, I'm sure there is someone here that will help with all your questions. I am not much help since all 3 of my buggies are 150cc.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Heavy Contributor

A lot of atv's exceed 50-60+ mph .in order to accomplish that on ur 250or 150cc buggy you'll have to do an engine swap. Streetbike motor. Now low end power for sand. Mud. Hills. Etc. You can accomplish that without a doubt with ur atv friends.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Heavy Contributor

Oh. And welcome aboard.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:06 PM

I would start with intake and exhaust upgrades and some CVT tweaking. Uni filter and intake tube, opened up exhaust, and slightly smaller slider should increase overall power and increase low end bite and still keep your top end speed up. You will need to rejet the carb for the intake and exhaust mods, so look into jet kits as well.

An engine swap will cure all, but since you stated you aren't the most mechanically inclined individual, I think sticking with the 250 and modding it will be right up your alley. Message Tom with syc power sports, he has been messing with some cams for the 250's that really wake them up. He will set you in the right direction and can get all the parts you need.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'

Last edited by Masteryota; 11-15-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Lurker

Thanks for the suggestions. The only other question I have refers to the engine itself. I know my 150 was a GY6...would this engine be a CN250 or are there different 25cc engines for different buggies?
Old 11-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Supporting Vendor

Unless they changed this year Kandi and in fact all buggies with the 250cc use the CN/CF 250 engine. The CF and CN engines are identical except the CF has a different tail section of the case for the HI/LO gearbox. Head cylinder is identical.