BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Go Kart General Discussion

Go Kart General Discussion Forum for general go kart discussion.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Lurker

Default Does this look right?

Hello everyone, I recently purchased this cart for my sons 10th birthday, I have been searching the forums obsorbing as much information as possible. I have the following setup. I believe this to be a commet 30 series and the belt just doesnt look right, I have ordered a new belt from kart supply but have not received it. My question is if do I need to move the driven back a little bit and get a new chain to take up the slack in the belt or does this look right? I have a new driver and I measured from center to center, the driven is a 7" so I ordered the belt accordingly.

Also the stearing on this is really bad, when you turn it wants to do a front end push most of the time.

Any pointers??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00201-20100630-1520.jpg (91.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00202-20100630-1521.jpg (91.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00203-20100630-1521.jpg (88.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 07-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

No it doesn't look right!!! the belt currently on your kart is either worn down excessively or incorrect belt. Your new belt will be 3/4" wide and should set just at the top of the driven pulleys. Put the new belt on and then see if everything tightens up. If not 4-motor adj. bolts tightens the belt, 2-driven bolts tighten the chain. driven first then motor. Belt should be snug not tight on the brass bushing.
In the picture it would appear that the chain is almost hitting the clutch and driven pulleys.Seems awful close clearances, if this is the case you can remove the driven nut and cir-clip (spring may have pressure) and add another washer between the pulley & sprocket, then check for alignment of the clutch-you might need to add a longer bushing behind it as well. I make bushings from 3/4" id.pipe.I own this same kart and the push factor is normal, short wheel base,live direct axle causes the push and scrubbing at slower speeds. If you installed a posi-trac axle most or all of that push would go away.
Your balding front tires don't help! the more aggressive the front tire tread is the better it will steer. This is a perfect kart for a 10 yr. old to learn on except I don't see any seatbelts.
Hope this helped
Old 07-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Lurker

Thank you for the information I will try exactly that and I will post a better picture, this was taken from my phone cam.

Do you know what model it is?

The seatbelt is on the back side of the seat, cant see it in this picture

I can already tell that I am obsessed with this thing, probably more so than my son. I think I may be re living my childhood. I already want to build one from scratch!! I watched countless hours now on mini buggies / sandrails.

I will replace the front tires as they are very worn. Thank you very much for the information.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Lurker

Got the new belt finally, only took 10 days in shipping.. ARRG. Anyway HUGE difference having the right belt, I am hoping to get a new set of tires to help improve performance. I am going to post a picture of the new belt just to get some feedback on the look and tension.

On a side note, does anyone know where to ride these legally around the South Seattle, WA area?
Old 07-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Administrator

Now that you have the new belt, you should know that it is very different than what is pictured. The correct belt can be expensive for most people's taste so what they do is go buy something cheap that seems like it will fit. That's clearly what happened with whoever put that belt on there. Note that the correct belt will likely have an arrow on it that tells you the correct orientation. One side is angled. The arrow points to the side of the belt that should be closest to the engine itself.

These things are easy to get addicted too. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!