BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 09-20-2011, 06:19 AM
Lite Contributor

Talking The Yerf-Doggers are gonna hate me!

Well, first of all, I'm new to the forum and new to buggies. I have wanted a buggie (been in the back of my mind) since high school but never took the plunge. I finally saw a buggy a couple days ago sitting in my neighbor's yard for sale.

Turns out it's a Yerf Dog 3206, and I picked it up for $175!

The carb was gummed up. It just so happens my brother works at the local Ford dealership and they sell the Schwinn 150cc scooters that have the GY6 engine in them. The parts guy had a carb (minus the diaphram, needle, and top cover) sitting on the shelf. It had been replaced by factory recall so it was already paid for. He just gave it to me!

I cleaned it a bit (already looked good but had dust on it) added the missing parts from my carb, and she fired right up and ran perfect!

Second of all, I'M HOOKED! I've already started looking for a second one for my wife. (Unless it's more powerful then of course the proper redistribution of assets will be necessary )

For all of you more experienced buggiers, what upgrades should be done soon? I'm looking at the Stage 1 kits from BD, heavy duty ball joints from BD, exhaust, lights (not sure what the electrical can handle), and of course the heavy duty axle.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0176.jpg (101.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 09-20-2011, 07:09 AM

HAHA awesome!!! I'm glad you're officially one of us now!... There are many upgrades available for the gy6. Some of the basic modifications are a Uni filter, changing out the rollers in the variator, changing the main clutch spring. Some of the more expensive ones are like the exhaust and the dr pulley hit clutch. Just look at my signature for what modifications I've done!

Mods:
Dr. Pulley Hit Clutch
FMF Slip-On Exhaust
No Rev. CDI
Uni Air Filter
130 Main jet
1500 RPM main clutch spring
11g sliders
75w Halogen Headlights

CARBIDE!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:21 AM
Contributor

Congrats on getting such a great deal on your Yerf. IMHO a couple of the best yerf upgrades I did was CKAU's Heim mod, reinforcing the front spindles & swapping out to the 20x7x8 front tires. These simple mods made the biggest impact on how the buggy handled. Other simple mods I did were, I tried a couple different sets of rear shocks on it and finally settled on a set of 85 FL350 front shocks for the rear of the Yerf. They seemed to give the best ride & the added ground clearance I was looking for.

I see you have young kids also, On my daughters I swapped out the factory seat belts and went with 85 FL350 4 point harnesses on both sides. They work really well, My daughter & I rolled her Yerf down in a river bottom a few months back and I almost couldn't stop laughing because they worked so well.

I have added a Uni Filter and built my own exhaust which picked up a little extra power. I have run a few different sets of rear tires on it and so far the 22x12x10 paddles seem to work the best but they do knock the crap out of the gearing and when you add my 260 pound fat butt in the buggy on top of the other rider it can be challenging to get some of the sand hills. I have been wanting to swap out the sprocket to correct the gearing for the taller tires, but just got to it yet. I have rewelded all the front end after we broke most of the welds and swapped over to grade 8 3/8 bolts on the front end from the little 5/16 stock bolts.

I have added padded seat covers and swapped on some different lights but they dont really do anything and are mostly just for looks. Other than that thus far I just fix what breaks.

I hope this helps and good luck.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:51 AM
Lite Contributor

Thanks for the welcome...

I'm eye-balling a UNI airfilter (also considering making my own adapter for K&N).

I've noticed I need to re-seat the front suspension box to the frame. The cart was pulling to the left and I noticed it is not square to frame.

RareRat, I saw on one of your threads that you did the Heim upgrade. Any chance you can direct me to a step-by-step build log on this? I like the idea of beefing up the front suspension.

I plan on the BDX Heavy Duty ball joints.

I am also considering front disc brakes upgrade from BD.

I noticed I have some connection issues with my lighting wires. I'm gonna tackle that beast next week. I did notice that they really aren't that bright. I think the manual said something like 35W each. I am considering the 11-pole stator upgrade from BD. My wife and daughters will be driving this cart more than I (after I get mine of course) and I want to put red LEDs on the back with white LED driving lights on the front. LEDs are the way to go if you want low-watt, low-amp lighting.

I am going to be buying a BDX Heavy Duty rear axle kit from a BM member in South Jersey off of the BM classifieds section. My axle is bent.

I also got a spare fuel tank from this guy. I'm gonna try to hook the two tanks up in series. I don't know if that will require a pressure hose for the top tank or if it will even work. If not, I'll just hook them up to a T-selector/petcock.

Also, I think my electric choke is on the fritz. The buggy is hard to get started at first (nearly impossible without starter fluid). I know I have good fuel supply. Once the buggy is warmed up, it will restart ok unless it sits for a bit. I know I shouldn't judge fuel/air mixture by exhaust smell, but it seems as thow it may be running a bit rich to me. Could this be part of my problem?

Thanks for the help,

Joe
Old 09-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_law_man01 View Post
Thanks for the welcome...

I'm eye-balling a UNI airfilter (also considering making my own adapter for K&N).

RareRat, I saw on one of your threads that you did the Heim upgrade. Any chance you can direct me to a step-by-step build log on this? I like the idea of beefing up the front suspension.

Joe
Here is the thread I did on my Heim mod. There was some concern on using the 3/8 Heims but, knock on wood, I have never had any problems with them, and we generally ride in some fairly ruff terrain. Now the crappy wheel bearing that came with the B*I Hubs are another story, I have had to replace all 4 of those.
http://buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860

When I added her Uni Filter I just bought a 16.00 Uni off of egay and went to home depot and bought a small section of sink drain pipe. I cut it to the length I wanted and welded a small bracket to it and drilled and tapped the frame to bolt it to. I used the original rubber boot that went the factory air box and just cut it down to the size i wanted to connect it to the pipe. I have maybe 25 bucks in the uni filter swap.

I just thought I might recommend if you do add the Uni filter that you weld a bracket to your pipe so you can secure it somewhere. I didn't at first and you would not believe how much the filter flops around while riding the buggy. My concern was not that it would fall off, but that it would destroy the intake with the added leverage of the pipe & filter. After adding the small bracket everything stays nice solid even in the roughest terrain.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Lite Contributor

Default UNI air intake/filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarerat View Post
...if you do add the Uni filter that you weld a bracket to your pipe so you can secure it somewhere. I didn't at first and you would not believe how much the filter flops around while riding the buggy. My concern was not that it would fall off, but that it would destroy the intake with the added leverage of the pipe & filter. After adding the small bracket everything stays nice solid even in the roughest terrain.
Thanks for the air filter info! Are there any certain length specifications I need to stay within or just cut to fit my prefered length?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 09-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Contributor

I want to say I bought a 6" piece of pipe and just cut it down to where ever it looked like everything fit the best.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Lite Contributor

How do I get some reliability from my choke? Other than replacing the carb with a carb that has a manual choke, is is there a way to replace the electric choke with a manual one? Is there an electric choke out there that's reliable for this thing?

Last edited by the_law_man01; 09-27-2011 at 12:23 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 09-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Heavy Contributor

The electric choke never gave me problems, but you can order a manual one from Mc Donough Powersports. If you know the choke is burned out, you can tap a hole in the housing and use a bolt to control the needle position.