BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 07-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Lurker

Default spring position comet 30

installed a new belt, new clutch and cleaned and dry lubed the comet 30 on our manco 616. I moved the tc spring from the 1 to 2 position and now it seems half as fast. is the 1/2 switch that dramatic or did i mess something up. also, while testing on jack stands i noticed that the belt creeps right to the very top of the clutch pulley. is this normal? if you could break down the 1/2/3 positions of the tc it would be great. Thank You.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Administrator

The spring position dictates when it will "shift" into a higher range. You probably gained some low end torque, right?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Lurker

Im a newbe so take this with a grain of salt. I just had my green spring set to the #3 (higher torque?)and mine slowed down noticably. I have issues with mine engaging so i did it just to put more tension on the clutch. The results arent great however.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:40 AM
Lurker

what are the differences with the different colored springs? mine is green. should i buy another one to increase performance? is the number 1 position the best for top end? thanks.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

I've said this before- the holes really don't make what I'd call a noticable change one way or the other- #1 hole easiest lowest rpm engagement and so on.. The stronger the spring the higher the rpm to engage and downshift- so if you want to bark the tires get the stiffest spring, if to want low rpm easy take off stay with the weakest rated spring.
Stiff spring for hill climbing fast topend, weakest for level ground slow to topend.