BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 07-06-2015, 02:24 AM
Lurker

Post 07 250cc SSR , no start after a loud clunk from starter clutch area

Hey buggy brothers, had 3 days of fun /hard riding, 10ft inclines, 1ft speed bumps. Let the whole family enjoy the buggy and get them into offroading ,while I was having a few coldones , n working on my cousins 150f dirtbike. Well after day was over, got home, then drove it off trailer and parked it. Next I decided to clean air filter n carb out , because it was hella saturated with dirt. Well next day reassembled it, ran good for 5 mns....
then heard a loud clunk from starter area... then it died , I tried to restart it n nothing... it would just spin and seemed to spin without resistance for awhile, Then it burped outta carb a few times, pulled plug carbon fouled, whiteish spark, starter solenoid gets very hot, has lots of air pressure from flywheel inspection hole why cranking...
but also thing is last weekend I turned off buggy to help my friend who crashed and after my buggy cranked very slow like battery died but its a fully charged 18amp battery which usually spins the hella outta that starter with ease, so towed it, jumped it with a truck, it fired up right up, rode it rest of day like this. Got home same thing, looked at starter and one mounting tab has cracked, n I tried the solenoid jump n nothing, so I ordered n installed new starter. Was able to start buggy with my upgraded 18amp battery full charged but you can tell the battery was still be pushed to the limit but it would fire up and jave plenty of power up top and torque, rode this weekend for the 3 days like so...

Hopefully its something simple like my solenoid or coil or cdi
If not ima have to open it up and order that rebuild kit. Get it running for the rest of summer and pull it out and do a raptor swap.

Well if theres anything I missed, please chime .
Thanks for atleast reading this even if you don't reply, I know it long.
2007 ssr 250cc buggy, green stickered , Ipt wheels , 23inch maxxis tires, rear adapter spacers, 4gal aluminum spun fuel tank, torque cam, dr pulley 23g sliders, red clutch springs, red main spring, fox front shocks, 4 led spot lights, modify radiator location, fan on mod, 8inch red puller fan, fire coil , cb radio/ pa system, custom exhaust, uniairfilter , 34 mm jetted carb 140main jet, custom intake manifold, royal purple oil & reverse box fluid, reinforced frame, and more...

Last edited by mrpostman831; 07-06-2015 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:55 AM
Contributor

I would check the timing. In cars it's most likely to jump time when idling down to turn off. May have had P2V contact if these are interference engines. Run a compression check.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Lurker

Was going too but my dumb cheapy one doesnt work anymore, gonna get a new one, its moving alot of air outta the sparkplug hole but I bet it gots a compression leak, im guessing intake valve, or rings, well ima do a leakdown test and see wheres this compression leak is, Thanks
2007 ssr 250cc buggy, green stickered , Ipt wheels , 23inch maxxis tires, rear adapter spacers, 4gal aluminum spun fuel tank, torque cam, dr pulley 23g sliders, red clutch springs, red main spring, fox front shocks, 4 led spot lights, modify radiator location, fan on mod, 8inch red puller fan, fire coil , cb radio/ pa system, custom exhaust, uniairfilter , 34 mm jetted carb 140main jet, custom intake manifold, royal purple oil & reverse box fluid, reinforced frame, and more...
Old 07-06-2015, 02:41 PM
Lurker

Ok , I took off cvt cover , pulled spark plug, rotated motor by hand with great ease, then I moved rotated more some more to look at intake valve and exhaust valve in action. I can see the intake is slightly bent .... plus it seems to tap and takes more effort to spin motor when piston and intake valve are at full cycle. I spun motor as fast as I could by hand and all the compression seems to exit thur carb also showing me bad Intake valve, hopefully, I can just remove head, swap valve, new headgasket, and be riding asap... guy I bought it from also had just rebuilt top end 6 month prior. Thanks sc jeep
Old 07-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Lurker

Just pulled the head off, confirmed, bent intake valve..., piston has small blemish, doesnt look to be harmful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150706_173055.jpg (86.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20150706_172939.jpg (97.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20150706_173127.jpg (100.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-07-2015, 10:02 AM
Supporting Vendor

You need to find the cause of the valve hitting the piston. Tension of timing chain, weak springs, cracked valve guide, or piston to valve clearance to close. And last if cdi was replaced with a no rev limit cdi over revved floating the valve.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Lurker

Thanks for the suggestions, I noticed the bolt that holds the intake valve was really loose, so im hoping thats that. CdI looks stock. But I did noticed upon removal the camshaft is a endrigo rock crawler engraved on cam, so im guessing its a real high lift. I looked at head but didn't see anything saying its a stage 1 or stage 2. Exhaust port looks untouched, intake looks like a slight port but no port matching or polishing on it. On pic is it normal to have that much carbon build up?
Old 07-07-2015, 04:05 PM
Contributor

Running rich but could have been from bent valve at the end and poor/no real combustion. If you try and replace just the valve make sure the valve seat is not damaged and I would suggest lapping the valve with lapping compound so you can see if it seals before the head is installed. I would also Polish out that spot on the piston
Old 07-07-2015, 04:30 PM
Lurker

Will do jeep, thanks
Old 07-07-2015, 08:04 PM
Supporting Vendor

Just looked at the pics now that my DSL is working consistently. A rich burn would be black and sooty flat in color. Your intake and piston are kind of glossy which indicates the using of oil.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:22 AM
Lurker

Yup , carbon just comes right off, I had added 2 teaspoon fulls of oil when I did a wet compression test. Thanks sycarms.
I my rocker arms are smooth and good still have chrome. But my timing chain guide looks chewed up so ima get a new one.
I measured my intake valve and exhaust valve to make sure I get the correct one. 1st pic intake valve size, 2nd exhaust valve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150707_185439.jpg (93.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20150707_185518.jpg (97.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20150706_232435.jpg (96.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-09-2015, 08:28 AM
Supporting Vendor

Well that explains why it looked oily. The rich mixture could be due to the enrichment valve being on all the time, or it could have been over jetted.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Let us know if you find the cause. Good info for others.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:10 AM
Lurker

Will do, thanks buggy Master. Just ordered parts, well see how long they take. I got 3 more projects now, I bought 3 110ccs atvs which need heavy tlc, but there for my nephew n lil brothers, I had already got my kids some, but lots of kids and only 2 atvs = long wait times. so gonna try and hammer Out these 3 first and Hopefully when im done, parts for buggy will be in...
Old 07-20-2015, 03:39 AM
Lurker

I believe main cause was probably a floating intake valve do to my timing chain being too loose. Had my family n friends beating on it, and they probly didnt hear any strange noises, then i got home turned it on and you know the rest lol, Thanks