BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 04-09-2017, 09:34 AM
Lurker

Default Can I change the CVT belt size?

So I was out on a preliminary test drive yesterday, after the conclusion of a winter long build. i was hitting some mud holes and doing some trail riding up some big hills with my wife in the passenger seat of our kandi spyder, gy6 150cc. everything was going great until our CVT belt snapped.

Now I am trying to find an upgrade for the 20.1x759 belt and am coming up short! can i use a 22x759 Riva belt that is kevlar reinforced? or will the 2 mm difference be too much?

I want to avoid having the belt snap in the future. i am currently running 13g rollers, 2000 rpm clutch springs, and 39T axle sprocket. I plan to upgrade the clutch and drop to 10g rollers.

is there anything else i can do to help prolong belt life?

I might snorkel the intake for the cvt... i think the deep mud and water helped to snap the belt, i snorkeled the intake and exhaust but forgot about the CVT. it is also worth mentioning that it was probably a three year old belt.

can i/should i seal the vents in the CVT cover and create a powered cooling system with intake and exhaust using a small 12v van? or will that be a waste of time and i should make the belt more serviceable? Was it the heat that made it snap? it did not shred, it was a break.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Attach0 (23).jpg (97.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-09-2017, 03:29 PM
Heavy Contributor

I prefer to not use Kevlar belts since replacing a belt is cheaper/easier than replacing the next weakest component.

Try running 10g rollers or 12g sliders so the transmission stays in higher ratios longer and puts less stress on the CVT.

You can remove the intake and exhaust elbows on the CVT cover and replace them with a mesh to get more air flow. Some people drill additional vents in their cover, but I question if sufficient air flow gets to the clutch to cool it off.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:59 PM
Lurker

"replacing a belt is cheaper/easier than replacing the next weakest component"

^ good point, i didnt think of that .