BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 06-03-2017, 12:13 AM
Lurker

Default Rectifier regulator help please

The small 4 pin was on the buggy, the 5 wire one came with the gy6 motor from amazon, and the 4 wire one i ordered but doesnt have the correct plug for the harness. Now i just want to make one if these work but i want to make sure i dont fry anything. So can someone tell me what the pink wire goes to thanks guys

Old 06-03-2017, 10:12 AM
Supporting Vendor

You will need to know if that engines ignition is set up for AC or DC volts.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:21 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
You will need to know if that engines ignition is set up for AC or DC volts.
How do I check that
Old 06-04-2017, 12:52 PM
Supporting Vendor

The people you purchased it from should know. The old rule of thumb was ac volt cdi's were smaller and used 2 wires on the 2 pin side dc volt were larger and used only one wire on the 2 pin side of cdi., however that is no longer the case.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:59 PM
Lurker

Quote:
The people you purchased it from should know. The old rule of thumb was ac volt cdi's were smaller and used 2 wires on the 2 pin side dc volt were larger and used only one wire on the 2 pin side of cdi., however that is no longer the case.
Thank u
Old 06-04-2017, 06:48 PM
Contributor

Another quick (not always prefect) is see if your headlights turn on with the buggy off. That is "usually" a DC system
Old 06-07-2017, 11:20 AM
Supporting Vendor

All buggy's work off of DC volts, starter, horn lights. The stater like an automotive alternator produces AC voltage. The voltage put out by the stater supplies current to the volt regulator/rectifier which in turn changes it to DC voltage. So if your lights come on with the ign switch off they are just wired directly off the battery voltage just as your cars lights turn on with the car off. On the older buggies the AC side supplies the CDI so you are considered to have an AC volt ignition system which its trigger system runs directly off the stater before the regulator/rectifier. Later buggies to date all use the DC ignition system for the trigger signal to the CDI thus making it a DC volt ignition system.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:10 AM
Lurker

Quote:
All buggy's work off of DC volts, starter, horn lights. The stater like an automotive alternator produces AC voltage. The voltage put out by the stater supplies current to the volt regulator/rectifier which in turn changes it to DC voltage. So if your lights come on with the ign switch off they are just wired directly off the battery voltage just as your cars lights turn on with the car off. On the older buggies the AC side supplies the CDI so you are considered to have an AC volt ignition system which its trigger system runs directly off the stater before the regulator/rectifier. Later buggies to date all use the DC ignition system for the trigger signal to the CDI thus making it a DC volt ignition system.
Thank you i needed that
Old 06-11-2017, 05:30 PM
Contributor

Good description sycarms.