BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 04-10-2015, 08:26 PM
Lurker

Default Dazon 250cc buggy wont start after cdi upgrade

My 2006 dazon 250cc was running fine until I tried to upgrade my cdi with the New Racing CDI which I got from ebay(the blue one). After I hooked up the cdi I tried starting it and nothing. So I put my old CDI back on and it would not start. I checked the inline fuse and it is fine. I checked other connections and they are fine. It will crank fine and sounds like it wants to start but it does not. Can anyone tell me what could have gone wrong? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Ok so I checked all the connectors and they are not loose and connected correctly. I have a roketa 250cc that uses the same CDI (I think) and I plugged it in and it wont start. I tried the Dazon cdi in the roketa and it would not start either. i am not sure if they are the exact same however. But i plugged the cdi back into the Roketa and it starts fine. I traced all the wires on the Dazon and they all seem fine. Could something have burned when I attempted to hook up the aftermarket CDI? The ONLY inline fuse is not burned out and it appears fine. I swaped out my stator on my Roketa and it stays on when I remove the battery cable so I assume the stator will not cause the Dazon to NOT start if I accidently burnt it out in my attempt to install the aftermarket CDI right? Any other thoughts on why it wont start?

I also swapped out the coil from my dazon to the roketa and the roketa started fine. However the coil from the Roketa did not work on the Dazon.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:28 PM
Lurker

Ok so I checked for spark and you are rignt! Nothing. So I swapped out the coil to my Roketa and the coil works fine on the Roketa. I swapped out the spark plug and it works fine on the Roketa. I am not sure what else it could be.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:27 PM
Lurker

I also cut the kill switch wire (black and white) that plugs into the CDI I am assuming this takes the kill switch out of the equation. Correct? If so it still did not start. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by roketadazon250; 04-10-2015 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Need to add info
Old 04-11-2015, 06:45 AM
Power User

If it's a glass fuse, try another one. sometimes they break off at the end cap and look OK when they're actually dead.

Black and white is +power, not ground. if it went to the kill, then it shouldn't matter, if it went to the ignition switch, different story. are the dazon and roketa cdi wiring plugs identical wire for wire?
Old 04-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Heavy Contributor

If the cdi works on the other buggy, then use the other buggy as a guide.

Use a voltmeter to see where there is power when the key is on, then make sure it's the same on the non running buggy. If there isn't power where there is supposed to be, then follow that wire.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:18 PM
Lurker

Thank you liduno and XBIRD! However the cdi does not work on the other (Roketa 250cc) buggy. And I double checked the fuse and it is good.

ok so i check the wiring on both Roketa and Dazon. The roketa has a push button start and the ignition wire coming from the CDI on the Roketa goes to the push button starter on the front of the buggy.

However the ignition wire coming from the Dazon CDI goes to the same entrance of the stator. So is he Dazon a AC or DC cdi? If so then could that be the reason the Dazon CDI did not work in the Roketa? I

If I attempted to put a opposite CDI in the Dazon and it did not work could that have fried the Stator or part of it inside the Stator area? And if I am not getting spark could that be the reason? If you have a bad stator or part of it, will it not tell the CDI to give spark?
Old 04-12-2015, 05:47 PM
Heavy Contributor

Some stators have an exciter coil and some don't. My CF Moto 250 didn't have an exciter coil but it did have a magnetic pick up coil. I down loaded a manual for the CF Moto 250, I don't know if it will help but I will try to post it for you. I think there was a trouble shooting guide ion there.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:50 PM
Heavy Contributor

First link should be the manual and the second one is a wiring diagram. Like I said though, this is for a CF Moto 250 on a coolster buggy, I don't know if it's what you need or not.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf coolster manual.pdf (1.06 MB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf Wire harness 250 coolster.pdf (175.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-13-2015, 10:48 AM
Heavy Contributor

Your Coolster has a CN250 engine just like the OP. Only Blade, Hammerhead and Joyner sold a CFMoto 250 in the US. From the crank shaft up, they are the same and use the same ignition. Where they differ is the case, CVT and final transmission. Switch wiring can vary and even wire color may not be consistent even between identical buggies, but you should be able to go between components and identify wire function by origin and destination.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:05 AM
Lurker

Thank you GX150. the only difference I can see between the Roketa 250cc GK13 and the Dazon 250cc with regards to the CDI is the Roketa has a wire going to the key start location from he CDI and the Dazon does not. That wire goes to the same as the stator location. Could this mean the CDI is DC and my DAZON is AC cdi?
Old 04-13-2015, 11:43 AM
Heavy Contributor

You really need to take a meter to the wires and take some measurements with the key in different positions. I have never heard of a 250 key switch going to the AC side of the stator - It may be going to ground.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:33 PM
Heavy Contributor

I believe my coolster was a CF Moto 250, it was embossed inside the engine covers. It was a dc system.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:00 PM
Heavy Contributor

Look at your shifter for L-H-N-R - A CF will have low and high range while CN's only have F-N-R. Your Coolster is a Goka product just like the Roketa and I have not seen a dual range 250 in any of them.

This will be important if you need change out variator, clutch or belt - The CN are smaller than CF.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:10 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX150 View Post
Look at your shifter for L-H-N-R - A CF will have low and high range while CN's only have F-N-R. Your Coolster is a Goka product just like the Roketa and I have not seen a dual range 250 in any of them.

This will be important if you need change out variator, clutch or belt - The CN are smaller than CF.
I sold it a few months back.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:20 PM
Lurker

Any thoughts on the Dazon?
Old 05-28-2015, 06:43 PM
Heavy Contributor

Did you verify your key switch works (makes contact) in the run and start positions?
Old 08-25-2015, 01:09 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roketadazon250 View Post
My 2006 dazon 250cc was running fine until I tried to upgrade my cdi with the New Racing CDI which I got from ebay(the blue one). After I hooked up the cdi I tried starting it and nothing. So I put my old CDI back on and it would not start. I checked the inline fuse and it is fine. I checked other connections and they are fine. It will crank fine and sounds like it wants to start but it does not. Can anyone tell me what could have gone wrong? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Ok so I checked all the connectors and they are not loose and connected correctly. I have a roketa 250cc that uses the same CDI (I think) and I plugged it in and it wont start. I tried the Dazon cdi in the roketa and it would not start either. i am not sure if they are the exact same however. But i plugged the cdi back into the Roketa and it starts fine. I traced all the wires on the Dazon and they all seem fine. Could something have burned when I attempted to hook up the aftermarket CDI? The ONLY inline fuse is not burned out and it appears fine. I swaped out my stator on my Roketa and it stays on when I remove the battery cable so I assume the stator will not cause the Dazon to NOT start if I accidently burnt it out in my attempt to install the aftermarket CDI right? Any other thoughts on why it wont start?

I also swapped out the coil from my dazon to the roketa and the roketa started fine. However the coil from the Roketa did not work on the Dazon.
I had the same problem with my dazon . i installed and yellow performance cdi from Erik over at buggy news it would start run for a 1/2 a sec then die and wouldnt start again . put the oem back on and it fire right up did that twice and just gave up on the upgrade cdi . but ill tell u put your money in a cam thats what makes the power plus a free flowing exhaust