BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 04-14-2015, 10:02 AM
Lurker

Default Robin 169cc threw a rod

Hello all- My son and I bought a used Manco Scorpion 606 last summer. Had to fix a carb bowl that was broken/glued together already (put a new carb on), but it's been a lot of fun for him and his friends.

Fired it up last weekend for the first time this spring, ran fine but went 'bang' and shutdown after a few minutes of driving. I took it apart today and the rod is in a handful of parts, with small metal shavings all over.

I've not pulled the head yet and looked at the piston. The OHV assembly does look good and clean.

I have a new rod on order, but I'm worried about getting all the metal pieces out.

Also, could the new carb have contributed to the failure by running too lean?

Zeph
Old 05-30-2015, 05:34 PM

welcome Zephrant, sorry it has taken so long for someone to answer you. why worry about building the engine, when you can pick up good engines for about the same price as building one, or prob. cheaper. It would solve the carb prob. too. I have heard good things about the Predator engines available at Harbor Freight. Check them out to see if they would work for you.