BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 11-05-2019, 11:15 AM
Lurker

Default Replace Trailmaster 150 XRS Engine

I have a Trailmaster 150 XRS that needs an engine replacement. I am looking to find a replacement engine that I can bolt directly back on. Does Trailmaster have a replacement engine looks like its a gy6 150cc with reverse but there are so many different versions when I look around especially on eBay. How do I find the exact one I need?
Old 11-06-2019, 10:18 AM
Supporting Vendor

What is wrong with your engine?
Old 11-06-2019, 10:56 AM
Lurker

It worked great for the first three years we used it, then we started having issues with it smoking and not staying running...etc. Now it wont start and run, we had someone look at it and said it had no compression. So instead of forking over even more money to fix it I thought it maybe cheaper to buy a new engine and try to replace it myself. I have taken the entire engine out off the back axle, so thought I could swap a new engine cheaper myself. I see the new engine on Buggy Depot but its $650 I thought it would be cheaper, I see alot of other chinese gy6 engines on ebay for $250-300 but none that fit the trailmaster. Any suggestions? Trying to fix this myself for cheaper but I am a newbie.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:39 PM
Supporting Vendor

The trailmaster uses the internal reverse engine which is more money. You can make repairs yourself if you have any mechanical ability and a good manual and some patients. You would pull seats, valve cover, tentioner, than 4 nuts which secure the head and cylinder. Easy job really. If you go to americanlandmaster.com, click on owners than manuals a list will pop up, just scroll to 7150 or 7151, click and choose engine service manual and download, there is also a transmission manual I would recommend. The manual has excellent illustrations and easy to understand instructions to totally rebuild the engine. Download and read through to see if it is something you could handle. If you then have any questions you could give me a call @ 662-301-1563, if no answer make sure to leave a message and I'll get right back to you. While tearing down if you check engine timing first with valve cover off. If chain is tight on sprocket and engine is in time the bottom end will be good so you'll just be pulling apart the top end of engine in frame. As I said earlier if you have any mechanical ability and patients and can follow instructions it's an easy job. You would need basically 8mm,10,mm and 12mm sockets, pliers, small screwdriver, some other basic tools and a torque wrench in foot pounds you could pick up for 30.00 at harbor freight or even rent one from auto zone however you need one that will read 25 ft/lbs. With you doing work you would need maybe $50-$100 in parts but you will want a quality part and not the cheap crap on Ebay and Amazon. You could even go with larger bore and head for increased performance much cheaper than a new engine.