BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 02-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Lurker

Exclamation What would be a good size of tubing for building a buggy

i am about to build my own buggy but can not figure out what size tubing . the tubing needs to though cause i will be going over though terrian and hiting jumps and trail riding and all that. so i wnat some thing that can with stand abuse but can be safe.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Contributor

Lots of us start with a used buggy ! craiglist and so on were you can buy good buggies cheap. Then once you find the one you want to rebuild you can overbuild the heck out of it to suit your needs.
But a good sorce for good tubing is a local race trac. Most not all , but most will have a fab shop were if you go down and just talk with them they will point you in a good direction or have lots on hand!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Power User

Basic size used in most of the manufactured ones is 1 in. OD, .090/.095 wall thickness, welded seam. If you want to step up from that, DOM tube (drawn over mandrel) is marginally stronger, more "accurate" tubing. PA Steel sells 1" welded for .90 a foot. DOM is a little over a dollar a foot. The design of the chassis will dictate strength more than the tubing will. The bigger you go the heavier it gets, and the more the design needs to incorporate that factor. If you intend to home-build, consider shopping around for buggy plans to work from and get feedback on them before buying.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Lurker

k thanks guys