BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Lurker

Default Beginner looking for comments

Ok, So I've been wanting a buggy for a long time now and found a project someone started and never finished. I know little about building a cage but can turn a wrench and shouldn't have a problem finishing the assembly. I would like to know if the frame looks to be a good solid concept or if there are major design flaws. I have not purchased it yet and will take no offense to criticism. Thanks in advance for your comments!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5L75G25Kc3Ga3L13Jfc2jd4f88895e6361708.jpg (13.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 5I75Z65Jc3K63Mc3Jcc2l7282ee50d4d21075.jpg (13.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 5N65G75J93k03J83N4c2k58389267f6ad19a0.jpg (11.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0279.jpg (92.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome- Looks like a professionally built chassis-You have plenty of money?!!! There's a lot missing even though most of the suspension is there (shocks could easily cost $2,000.+) Would definitely be a sweet ride when completed.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:21 AM
Lurker

The price is right I can drive 3 hours and trade $200 for this project... I didn't expect that much for shocks but I figured $3-4K to compete it. AM I way off on what it could be finished for? I believe that is a ford transmission and haven't looked for a motor yet but I live in the dallas area so i shouldn't have a problem finding a quality cheap engine. Does anyone have a suggestion on engine preference for a buggy like this not looking to compete with it just have a blast running around with my friends who have 4 wheelers and side by sides...
Old 04-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Lurker

Default front end pics

So i take it that the front end would have to be short travel with the set up they currently have mocked up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0534.jpg (99.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Nice find -$200. is crazy cheap for what's there!!! It appears to be set-up for sprint car racing & travel would've been limited if finished the way it was intended. I'd think you could get it driving for the amount of money you have in mind if you're very resourceful. You can successfully make it trail-oriented as I took a mini sprint and converted it with great success. IMO - You wouldn't need an expensive (built) motor to power it to have fun either.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Power User

trans reminds me of a ZF unit, kind of hard to tell from the pics. Do you have a side view of the front suspension? looks like it's either set up as a center pivot or a leading link deal--can't spot the pivot points too well. You may want to consider leaving the rear end be but going to a VW setup up front. tons and tons of new and used parts available. maybe dig up an old VW based rail and merge the two together. As far as engine goes, if it is a ford sourced trans and will bolt up, a 5.0 liter roller lifter engine out of a fox body stang. same reasons as the vw based front end. If you didn't get any background on what it was going to be or was, i'm thinking it may have been someone's sand/dirt drag racer.

Last edited by x-bird; 04-02-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Lite Contributor

Looks like the chassis/cage is pretty nice, don't see anything that concerns me there. The trans is a VW IRS (VW began those in 1967 or 1969 and continued through final production) you probably new that anyway. Metalstudman is right about the shocks if you intend to use coilovers since there are no torsion bars/springs on the current suspension. You may consider some take-offs from the side-by-sides like the Rhino, Razr, etc since many of those guys are going with pricey aftermarket suspension and shocks. You may source some atv shocks too, at least to get you rolling. At $200 I'd grab it in a heartbeat myself.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Supporting Vendor

Sounds like a great deal, snatch it up and have some fun.