BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 04-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Let your ideas flow forth like oil from a busted crankcase.

I got this four wheeler frame for $20, and this Troybilt tiller for nothing. The tiller aparatus is shot but the engine is stroooooooooong and has had all of maybe three hours run on it before the owner let everything but the engine rot by planting a 30 gallon wash tub over the engine.
My intentions are to cut the frame in half and use an old trailer axle to extend it about three feet. The axle will be cut in half and will be more than strong enough to make the extension. I will shave and brace all bars with what I need. I intend on welding a motor base and mount just to the rear of the rear wheels where all I have to do is align and mount the engine and install a chain to the proper clutch. The engine is has a vertical shaft but it was apparently designed to run on its side as you can see from the top of the engine facing forward and I would only have to align and install chain.I have never done this before so it will be challenging but I am sure I can do it.
When the frame is extended I want to install a seat from a yerf dog or even find one that will be more reclined and put nerf bars around the cock pit with roll bars. I am going to use an aluminum truck bed extender for the nerfs so that I can shave weight. I believe I will just heat and bend the steering column towards the cockpit and just use handlebars instead of a steering wheel as to have the throttle just like an atv.
Please help me out with any and all ideas that you may have. I will keep you all posted with pics and progress. I know that you all have a plethora of experience with trial and error so if you see something coming at me I would greatly appreciate any forwarning as to save me as much money as possible. I would love to see any design tips you guys have and if you have anyone who has tried anything like this before, I would appreciate a link. Thanks in advance for your help. And I look forward to seeing your ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg powerplant.jpg (28.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg frame.jpg (40.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-25-2012, 07:34 AM
Administrator

that's one of the old school engines there! This should be a neat project!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Lite Contributor

6 days. One reply.......Tough crowd
Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Thanx for the compliment!!!! Your project if I invision it correctly will be a long,low seated 4 wheeler with an industrial type engine-. I have many of these same type items in my bone yard!!!! for me - it just doesn't provide enough entertainment value up front or in the end for me to build something similar!!! BUT--
I'm all on board for providing an opinion here and there if you run into issues though.